Romain Gall at Malmö FF (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't mean to take away your thunder, but that did enter my head. Thought it was too soon.

m vann repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Swedes are back in season now:

Starts:

William Eskelinen - Carlos Moros Gracia, Eric Björkander, David Myrestam - Jonathan Tamimi, Juanjo Ciercoles, David Batanero, Dennis Olsson - Romain Gall, Linus Hallenius, Maic Sema.

And he scores (a PK):

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #229 TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Picking right back up where he left off! Looks like this one was a PK.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I get that the level of play may not be the greatest but he's picked up where he left off. Now with an assist.

7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    good enough for a move to the Dutch league or 2 Bundesliga?

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is he the best uncapped #USMNT-eligible player right now? (Counting those who have made first-team debuts.)

Him or Amon, right?

ChuckMe92 and bshredder repped this.
  10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dual-Nationals included, I would say Siebatcheu.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Of course. But till he says he wants to play for the US, tough to count him.

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly those two. Some are saying Glad, Melia, or Jesse Gonzalez

I actually think Aaron Long. It is probably a minority opinion but he was really good last year and unreal this year.

Durkin could be there soon if he continues to develop the way he has in 2018

ChuckMe92, m vann, Sandon Mibut and 3 others repped this.
  13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy got a lot right

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Not too many stones we haven’t turned over.

SCSAutism and Winoman repped this.
  15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Yea.... there’s a lot of guys there that are uncapped for a reason

kba4life1 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next Davies?

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Seems to be slightly. Davies went from college to Sweden (at age 20 I believe). And worked his way up to the NT (literally only Jozy was our effective striker back then). His performances at the Confed Cup and his 2008 form got him a move to a small Ligue 1 side.

I doubt Gall can break through the Nats. He has a lot of younger competition playing in bigger leagues.

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he though? If the rumors are true about Netherlands interest, he'd be playing at the second highest level of any of our wide attacking players.

Even right now, who does he have as competition? Other guys may be younger, but no one is putting up the stats he is an any European league except Novakovich, and there's a decent gap in level between Sweden and 2nd division Netherlands. Gall deserves a call up, right now.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. He's 23. So in comparison to the 18 to 20 year olds we've recently integrated, he's not significantly older than them.

2. Who is this younger competition who play in bigger leagues you speak of? Weah? We don't even know if Weah will be playing in Ligue 1 next season. Amon? Superliga might be a smidge better than Allsvenkan but relatively on the same level. Carleton? LOL Tatiague? Ha

I do not understand where such negativity comes from regarding Gall. Because you aren't the first person I saw or heard say something in this manner.

gunnerfan7, ChuckMe92, LouisZ and 2 others repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's not negative. Just a tad critical. I hope I'm wrong. I imagine many said the same about Davies and were wrong (and happy to be wrong).

He's 23 on a mid-table club in Sweden. Once he makes the move, then he has a solid shot to be in the mix.

Weah might be on loan or get a few minutes in Ligue 1, but he's gonna be integrated into the NT squad same as Sargent. And other options already. Hope Gall can have his shot of course.

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fine to be critical on Gall. He's had a lot of ups and downs already in his career. However, he's overcome a lot of them, and he's one of the best players in a good European league right now.

I disagree on Weah being integrated into the national team. The last few national team camps haven't been real camps, they've been ones to look at young players in the pool. When the new coach comes in, he'll start calling up the best players available, and Weah and Sargent will have to be showing out for their clubs. Gall already is, I don't doubt Sargent will, but I'll be surprised if Weah picks up a single minute in Ligue 1 in the first half of the season if he stays at PSG.

Which wingers are currently better pros than Gall right now? Pulisic. Amon and Saief, depending on who you ask. Maybe Johnson if he's still in the pool, but realistically he's not.

I think that's it. For 95% of people, he should be in our top 4 right now.

And, as usual, I apologize to the mods for giving in to the temptation to talk about the NT.

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.eposten.se/sport/sundsvalls-matchvinnare-drommer-om-landslaget-unt5021849.aspx
    Short interview of Gall by a local paper. In addition to his offensive game, Gall says he's worked on his defense, is physically stronger, and is confident in his whole game. He dreams of playing for the US national team and believes he will get there, and is inspired by Sweden's success in the World Cup.

Note: there are currently 6 strikers or wingers in the Sweden national team pool who play in their domestic league, the Allsvenskan. Gall has more goals this season than any one of them no matter if you are counting league matches or across all competitions. He also has more assists than any of them except one, Jiloan Hamad of Hammarby, who leads the league in assists. Overall, Gall is tied for second in goals and tied for fourth in assists in the entire league.
    https://www2.svenskfotboll.se/allsvenskan/information/?scr=scorers&ftid=72152
    https://www2.svenskfotboll.se/allsvenskan/information/?scr=stats&ftid=72152&sortby=assists

23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did anybody catch the match? I couldn’t being on the road all day.