Roma-Real Madrid 8/8/02 Friendly?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by bulldogsoccer#1, Jul 28, 2002.

1. bulldogsoccer#1

bulldogsoccer#1 New Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Upstate New York
    Roma-Lazio 8/8/02 Friendly?

I looked on Roma's official website to see where and when they were playing friendlies, and I happened to notice that they are supposed to play Real Madrid in NY (I assume NYC) on Thursday, 8/8/02. I thought this would be a double-header with a Metrostars game, but so far nothing on the Metrostars website or on Real Madrid's webiste or no commercials on tv for MSG or FSNY. Does anyone know if this game is still on and where it will take place? I would like to see if it is still going to happen! Thanks!

2. bulldogsoccer#1

Dec 14, 2001
    Upstate New York
    Opps!

This thread should be for the Roma-Real Madrid friendly...not Roma-Lazio as I mistakenly called it!

3. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
  4. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bulldogsoccer#1

Dec 14, 2001
    Upstate New York
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. What is the NJSEA and why didn't they do a double header with the Metrostars? Couldn't they have set the Real-Roma game for a weekend night, or didn't that tap into Real or Roma's preseason schedules?

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Thanks

The NJSEA is the New Jersey Sports and Entertainment Authority. The own Giants Stadium. They don't have to coincide any games with the Metrostars, although the Metros say differently.

For the most part the teams dictate when they play.

7. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Ok, I'll take a stab at this.

The NJSEA is the "authority" that controls the Meadowlands sports complex, including Giants Stadium. Thye have an agreement with the Metrostars that there will be 20 soccer events each summer in GS.

Now, the Metros have a terrible situation in GS. They pay something like $100,000 in rent every night they play there. They get nothing from the parking fees ($10 a car) or any of the concessions. I don't think they even have complete control over the merchandise sold. The stadium security have been overbearing and in general pathetic.

Metros have been openly criticizing GS and searching for a new location, preferably building their own stadium in Harrison, NJ.

Now, in recent years, the Metrostars have been hosting a lot of doubleheaders involving internationl teams. We've already had Rangers, Santos, Milan, Boca Juniors, River Plate, etc this year. The Metros like the doubleheaders as it puts more fans in the seats for the MLS game, and it supposedly will help attract these fans to MLS. (This has not proven to work, however). The NJSEA is suing the Metrostars, claiming that these doubleheaders are single events and therefore they are in violation of the 20 match agreement mentioned above. The lawyers are fighting it out as we speak.

In the meantime, the NJSEA, in conjunction with Champions world, have arranged this Real-Roma match just to spite the Metrostars. (Champions World is a company that organizes soccer events in the US, it's headed by a former Metro GM.)

So obviously, there is a lot of bad blood between Metros and the NJSEA. Many Metrostars fans are boycotting this match as it only supports the NJSEA who are clearly anti-Metro. (Also the ticket prices are high $30-$75).

The made for tv movie is in the works.....

8. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well put, retnicf!

9. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    retnicf did a good job of summing up the situation. As a Metro supporter I ask those who are NOT Roma or Real Madrid fans to please not attend this match.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thing with the Metros and the NJSEA facinates me.

As an interesting side note, NJ referees were sent an email that offers 10% off the ticket price. There's a link to the TM website in the email with a source code to get the discount. There's no way that I'm going to go despite the fact that I'd love to see both teams.

11. bulldogsoccer#1

Dec 14, 2001
    Upstate New York
    Good info, but too rich for my blood!

Hey, it would be great to see all of those stars, but it would cost me like $100-150 total to drive down from Rochester, see the game, park for friggin $10, and then get a hotel...It would be nice, but I got kids to feed and put clothes on our backs! Good luck Metrostars fans in your protest. I support it now that I have the scoop! Thanks!

12. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    it also looks like AS Roma will be headed to Cairo Stadium to play Al Ahly of Egypt. This will be fun to watch, just like last year when Real Madrid came to play. (Note: Al Ahly won 1-0)

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will be in NYC from Aug. 6th. Do you think that I need to purchase tickets in advance?

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you shouldn't have a problem.

15. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    For those of you who are going if you're a Eurosport member you can get 10% of your ticket.

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thanks

17. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    I was shocked to see that the YES Network is showing this match on Thursday at 9:30pm EST.

I can't think of why they'd be showing this. Does anyone know if this is a good sign or a one time thing?

Thanks

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES originally had a contract to show all Man United games, some live the rest on tape delay, but FOX Sports International is suing them because Fox has the international rights to the PL.

YES also has a contract with Celtic to show Celtic games, but I don't know when that's supposed to start.

19. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    I know about all that but I thought they WEREN'T showing United this season. So I was wondering if anymore game will be shown or if this a one time thing with YES being desperate for programming.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold for the game?

21. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
  22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  23. RomaArsenalDCUNITED!

Aug 5, 2002
    richmond Va
    im gonna make the trek all the way from Richmond Virginia! here i come

24. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It was worth the long drive.

Zidane was MOTM. Roberto Carlos was a close second.

Of course none of the newspapers carry the story, so I guess it never happened. ;)

70,000+ fans beg to differ! :)

The tailgate atmosphere was excellent. The first half was excellent, with a lot of passion shown by the fans.

The second half was a little long, and lot of people were upset with no goals, but it was a good game.

25. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    the public tv in Italy showed some highlights: they're commenting that Roma had the control of the midfield showing a greater physical effort (and better condition),suggesting they were the better side on the pitch.is that your opinion too?