Rode Duivels ep. V: Will somebody bloody save us already? [R]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Belgian guy, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    About time we got lucky with the ref, REMEMBER THE 17TH OF JUNE 2002! Or more recently, Kompany vs Turkey.

Don't understand the animosity towards Deschacht, he wasn't bad. Van Damme was dissapointing though, and I'd like to see Simons benched for Vertonghen. Lukaku should be benched as well until he gets going for Anderlecht again. Vossen and Ogunjimi showed Lukaku is not our only option up front. Besides, he's too easy to cover these days. Just put 2 strong defenders against him and he won't touch a ball: Germany, Turkey and now Kazachstan.

PS: who would you have substituted for Boyata?

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Deschacht! It's not his natural position, but he did play LB against Chelsea recently. So I'm pretty sure if you can shine at LB vs. Chelsea, you'll be alright vs. Kazakhstan and/or Austria.

And please, for once, they have to build on a positive result. Just win in Brussels on Tuesday boys. Still a lot of work to do even if you manage that, but at least we'll have a glimmer of hope again.

3. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Christ, always this crap. Stop pushing youngsters who have proven jack shit forward as our saviours. When you have proven yourself for a whole season, then you have the right to claim a spot at the national team. Not if you play 2 good games.
    Especially if it's not even their natural position. First you argue about how players should play their natural position, and now you turn back on it because Deschacht played as LB. Come on...

You might not have been happy with his performance (I for one thought it mediocre, like most of the other players) but Deschacht was not the substitution necessairy at that time to change the flow of the game.

4. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Saw the match. First half was very poor.But in the second half they played more like a domineering team.Stop bugging bout the ref cause there will be days when u will not get the decisions.Very impressed with Vossen.Nobody ever mentioned ogunjami in this thread i guess, so credit goes to Leekens.Whatever i saw in Lukaku in two matches, looks very ordinary, lets give him some time to develop more.Lombaerts is the perfect central defense in seems,very calm and composed.I am also impressed with Fellaini, Alderweild,Witsel and Legear(as a substitute).This team plus vermaelen will win against Austria and Turkey at home.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was, because we were getting nothing going forward out of our left-side.

Is it a coincidence that the few attacks we managed over on that flank happened when Van Damme went out for Legaer and Witsel and him switched flanks?

Both of the goals were created from an attack from the right as well.

Timmy Simons didn't really do much wrong, but wouldn't it be better to put Vertonghen there? Just long-term thinking. Simons will be nearly 36 by the time the EC starts. I think we might have seen the last of the Ajax player on the leftside of midfield. It's going to be either in central defense or as DM from now on. I've no real problems with that. I just think he has more of a claim on the DM position than Simons, just in terms of continuity. Whatever happens, this will likely be Timmy's last campaign.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And Dembelé! :)

I think the problem with Lukaku (as Frank Raes rightly pointed out) is that he's still more raw than Vossen and Ogunjimi. We forget that he's only seventeen. Ogunjimi is 23, Vossen is 21, it's normal their decision-making and positioning is consistently better. That's the kind of stuff you pick up as you play more games.

In short, I think we might have to wait one or two more years before we can realistically expect Lukaku to perform at this level.

7. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Then Van Damme should've been substituted, not Deschacht. That's actually one substitution I have been yelling about for 20 minutes before Leekens actually did it.
    Agree with Vertonghen <-> Simons.

Anybody knows what happened with Maarten Martens? He used to be called up regularly with VDE, but the last years I haven't heard squat about him.

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    All respect for Simons as a player and as a person, but he's done

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the problem with Vossen & Ogunjimi is that they both need to play in a two-striker system. We can't get away with a 4-4-2 against the bigger nations, they will overrun us in midfield. So we'll likely see Lukaku again vs. Austria. Unless Leekens goes for the 4-4-2 again. Which I think would be risky against the bigger nations in the group.

I do understand why he would do it though. With Dembelé and Mertens out and Hazard seemingly out of favor, we have no business playing a conventional 4-3-3. We would be killed due to lack of good wing-play.

That said, 4-4-2 will allow our midfield to be overrun - assuming Austria plays it smart tactically. I won't attack Leekens whatever he decides to do with this one, since the reality of the personnel he has at his disposal means there is no good answer.

All of this would be much easier if we had fullbacks who were good going forward, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

10. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    We got pretty lucky. Simple as that. Bailly was a poor choice at the back, as he's suffering from loss of confidence. Gillet is a captain in the Serie A and plays steady week in week out. The choice there was obvious. The backline was fine, though it's apparent Alderweireld isn't a real right back, but that isn't his fault and it's not Leekens' fault we don't have a decent right back. The midfield was a mess. Leekens said he wanted to lineup 3 infiltrating players in Van Damme, Fellaini and Witsel, but for that to work you need a creative force to launch them. Simons ahead of a near top-class player like Vertonghen is shear stupidity.
    And it's not like Leekens' dislike of Hazard doesn't have precedent, since he wasn't exactly fond of another talented, creative guy in Scifo.
    The Ogunjimi sub though I must say, was inspired. While I'd prefer not to blame Lukaku for the suckiness of the team in the first half, Ogunjimi got involved by dropping back and winning headers. He was also alert, and that won us the game.
    Oh and as I suspected Lombaerts was excellent as the even-tempered defender. Lombaerts-Kompany at the back would be one of the most solid central pairings in the world. But I'm afraid Georges doesn't see it that way.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't think the Scifo and Hazard comparison is exactly fair. Scifo was way passed his prime when Leekens snubbed him. Hazard is a young talent, perhaps the biggest talent of this generation.

I agree that Lombaerts-Kompany would be far better than Van Buyten-Kompany, but that's never going to happen until Big Dan retires from the NT.

Agree on Bailly as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Mignolet get a chance as well after New Year, provided he keeps on stringing together great games for Sunderland.

Once Vanden Borre gets to start for Genk, the RB spot is his to lose.

Agree on Vertonghen. Especially since at his age, Simons won't be around any more for the WC. It's better to invest in the youngsters.

12. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Agreed on Gillet, Kompany-Lombaerts and Vertonghen(although Simons did a pritty good job).Also want to see Hazard in the team. Why is he on the bench? Very strange decision if he doesn't have injuries.

13. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Leekens is setting us back to the VDE era. Simons over Vertonghen... are u kidding me?? U want to create chances? Ok, let's put Van Damme as a midfielder and Hazard can watch from the bench :eek:

and let us not forget tactic N1: Long balls on Fellaini all day long :rolleyes:

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Hazard did not see much playing time lately with his team Lille in the french league

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Kazachstan sent a complaint to Fifa, they claim that the polish referee favoured the red devills

16. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Their claim is justified ;)

17. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Possibly on the Van Buyten hand ball, but the disallowed goal was actually the right decision. We got lucky that the ref saw it and made the right call, because most wouldn't have. Bailly had his hand on the ball, and the Kazakh player kicked it from his hands. That's illegal as per the laws of the game.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    About the Van Buyten hand ball: why was it so ignored by the press? That's another crucial mistake by Dan. Only for once it did not cost us the game because the ref missed it.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Dembelé, Lukaku, Hazard, Fellaini, Vertonghen, Witsel, Boyata, Vermaelen, Kompany, Vanden Borre, Mignolet[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

I'd love to see this team get a chance in March.

20. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    i would prefer Lombaerts at CB,cause he looks much assured than any other. Vermaelen at LB.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's an alternative. Though Vermaelen has struggled recently at LB.

22. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Boyata is right-footed. I think he will struggle at the LB

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Our main problem at fullback right now - besides the occasional positional lapse - is that the CBs who play there offer little going forward.

24. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Great result!!! Azerbaijan 1-turkey 0!!!

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

with a win against Austria later the second place would not be impossible anymore