Roddy: Close Enough for Government Work

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CALIFORNITES: Welcome to the ethical universe of your new governor:

"Shortly after she became the 16th woman to say Arnold Schwarzenegger had groped, fondled or otherwise sexually harried her, Rhonda Miller was gang raped by politics.

Lawyer Gloria Allred tells the story this way. She got a call from Miller, a 53-year-old stunt double who worked on two of Schwarzenegger's films. Miller told Allred that Schwarzenegger had pulled up her shirt and snapped a photo of her breasts and had groped her during the filming of two of his movies.

Last Monday, Allred parked Miller before a bank of television cameras. Miller read a statement, refused all questions and fled the room.

Then came the payback.

Schwarzenegger's campaign, frantic to deflect the latest sexual harassment allegation on the eve of last week's recall election, issued a memorandum to select California media outlets. Signed by Schwarzenegger spokesman Sean Walsh, the memo read:

"It has come to our attention from the media that you can access court documents from the following web site: www.lasuperiorcourt.org/Criminal. You will have to pay a $4.75 online charge to access/search the site. Once you have accessed, the site, type 'Rhonda' in the 'first name' field, and 'Miller' in 'last name' field."

In went Miller's name and out came the record: prostitution, narcotics, forgery...

...Through it all, there was a plaintive refrain from a single person on the FreeRepublic site: "Are we sure this is the same Rhonda Miller?"

It was not.

The Rhonda Miller who accused Schwarzenegger was born in 1950. I entered her birthday into the same LA court computers and found her clean, at least in the Superior Court of the County of Los Angeles.

There are a few dozen Rhonda Millers in California and about 40 Rhonda Horns. Horn was her married name and there is, indeed, a Rhonda Horn with a 1989 forgery record in LA. Again, the birthday does not match. By way of comparison, I put the name "Sean Walsh" through the same computer. It spit out 15 counts ranging from drunken driving to hit-and-run to marijuana possession. There is no reason to believe this is Schwarzenegger's Sean Walsh. Such allegations require moral certainty, especially from those who would govern.

Walsh, a veteran of the Reagan and first Bush administrations, said the Schwarzenegger campaign felt blindsided by the allegations. He complained that Allred, a partisan Democrat, kept Miller from reporters. Without questioning, he said, reporters could not sort out Miller's credibility.

His response was a memo worded with the precision of a booby trap.

"We did not make any allegations," Walsh told me. "I wrote that memo myself. I wrote it very, very carefully."

Walsh's careful memo elicited just the sort of reckless conclusions needed to frighten off any other would-be accusers...

And to share with the nation that EXACT type of ethics possessed by both the governor-elect, and those with whom he surrounds himself...what a *#*#*#*#ing disgrace, Californites...you are, as a state, dismissed.

2. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods: upon further reflection, this can probably be folded into the "Please welcome your shite new governor" thread...

Thx.

3. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merge please, thx