Rocky Harris hired by ASU

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Feb 11, 2012.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senior VP Rocky Harris took the position of athletics communications director at his alma mater Arizona State University. I didn't know until I just saw his tweet. He's a good man, I think the Dynamo will miss him. Seems like an odd time to be leaving, just when it's about to get good.

http://thesundevils.mo2do.net/s/22268/63?itemPos=2&fullArticles=true

2. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    never an odd time when your dream job at your alma mater opens up-good luck Rocky

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Thats the truth.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the best to Rocky on his new opportunity.

Taking nothing away from Harris -- I like to view something like this as an opportunity. Especially one for a former Dynamo player. Perhaps even a certain player currently misplaced in the land of funny french speakers.

5. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree it definitely is an opportunity. I don't think it necessarily needs to be an ex-Dynamo player but I do believe it needs to be someone who understands the sport of soccer and the fans. They need to understand the heartbeat of soccer fans and that usually happens when they are a soccer fan themselves. I think there are a lot of people in the FO who don't understand the sport and understand what makes soccer fans tick.

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, you're right, Don, but just to clarify, I think those guys at Puebla with Landín are speaking Spanish, not French. :rolleyes:

7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if you're joking. If you are hilarious. If you're not....he meant Ching. o_O

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    good luck Mr. Harris and thanks for the victory drink you bought some of the traveling support in KC during the conference final.

YES! needed to be said. lot of these folks in the FO are good people, but let's be honest they came from other sports and learned this one on the fly. we're at a point in our club's development that we need soccer people in the organization.

'cool starry brah' time:

i usually sit at games with my friends (i'll let them choose if they want to identify themselves) who are all really, really opinionated about what's going on the field. at MLS Cup we sat near some FO people and 1 certain employee wasn't enjoying our running commentary when the negativity was directed at Dynamo players. i'm not sure what soccer fantasyworld this person grew up watching the game where their team never never never never commits bonehead mistakes or stupidly fouls anyone from the opposing team in bad spots on the field.

i guess my point is that i want a FO filled not with happy, go-lucky cheerleader, AYSO soccer types; but instead more with the miserable sod types like me that know this game is all about pain and anguish (and trophies). :D

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's going to happen to the time capsule!!!!!!!! Who's going to bury the original signed Felix Garcia contract???

As a point of information, what exactly did Harris do? This is always confusing from the outside, trying to determine what exactly someone does when they have titles that mean everything and nothing at the same time. All I know is he seems like a FO marketing guy and he hangs around with Canetti half the time at home games.

BTW, I'm sure he'll have fun working with Todd Graham at ASU ;) He may be the most disliked college football coach in Division I and isn't exactly what one would consider a good guy to work with from everyone I have ever talked to about him.

10. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  11. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Note to self.

Remind wife to have someone other than Westside Cosmo do my eulogy:D

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes for Rocky! He really cared about the organization and he was a good guy to have as one of "the suits" up at Dynamo think tank.
    When everyone sees the mega Texas State flag displayed by the hinchas, that was a very symbolic unified purchase last season for ALL FANS by Mr. Harris specifically for Houston culture and our club.

13. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I got in trouble with Rocky Harris at Soccer Night Out after uploading this video b/c it scrapped the Adidas shoot hahaha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydDIEJr7dI"]Texian Army TV - Episode 03 - YouTube[/ame]