Rochester Stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Morpheus1271, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  2. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Congrats to the Rhinos. They did what had to be done for invitation to MLS. Expansion will be wild with a team financed by a Mexican club and a promoted A-League team.

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has its HQ in NY, but no team in NY. Now they will have a chance to put a NY team in MLS.

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    plastic field.

5. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I would rather have a plastic field with a reall soccer atmosphere than a grass field in a cavernous stadium you have no chance of ever selling out.

Now pick your knuckles up off the ground and go troll elsewhere.

Oh, and a sincere thank you to well wishers. We would love to have you Rachacha once the stadium is up and running.

6. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    It is all good but Rochester still not a Major league market. If they build a stadium in Queens New York then we have a major league look. I am still happy that our MLS will grow with SSS in every market.

7. La Brujita

La Brujita New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Have they decided definitively to have a plastic field? I thought they were still debating.

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    its not a trolling comment in the least. Yes of course we all rather have SSS. But when you're building the thing yourself... why put in a plastic feild. Why would you do that?

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? It worked for the NBA

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it is cold as balls in Rochester and ther is 3' of snow on the ground from October through April

11. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Interesting quote...and I imagine well intended but I think the notion that a SSS needs to be in a major metropolitan area in order to have a "major league look" is inaccurate. Also, I imagine that in select non-metro area markets, they will be able to draw equally or in some instances outdraw other metro markets because of their lack of oversaturation (i.e. too many sports all drawing some fans rather than fans rallying around "their" home team).

I think it will be a MAJOR milestone to watch Rochester grow, build their SSS, and then enter MLS. Just another reason to follow the A-league as well as MLS.

BTW...There was an A-league player recently (i could look it up but i'm too lazy) who had gotten an offer from MLS but turned it down to "stay and play" with his A-league team.

Just some interesting developements lately with soccer in America. I'm excited.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heyyyyy, stop it, it's not really that cold, maybe from November to March it's that cold, there's only 2.5' from October to April.

Being a Rochester native and with the knowledge of a ravenous soccer fan base in Roch, the MLS would be idiots to not utilize this city and its fans to show the rest of the cities with teams in the MLS how to support their club! (Columbus excluded)

Unfortunately, I don't see the MLS doing it in the upcoming round of expansion, do any of you?

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I imagine it had to do with weather. However, building a SSS with plastic grass is kind of like building a manson and then covering the furniature with plastic so that they don't get ruined.

14. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Isn't it possible that the decision is based on several factors including the climate, initial cost, initial and ongoing maintenance expenses? Based on the article they seemed to indicate that they are hoping to play there next season!!!??? If so, wouldn't a 'plastic field' make more sense than trying to lay natural grass when they'd most likely be doing it? In the middle of a harsh winter?

15. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yes yes I know, we've heard the same thing about Feildturf in Jersey and Dallas. It's still not real grass. Maybe in the Great North there wont be the problem of the feild getting too hot but...

Anyways, that article says the total cost of the stadium is going to be $22mil, with NY State paying $15mil of that? What kind of stadium does that get you and how much resources does the Rhino's owner have? That's great that they've got public financing to foot a lot of the bill.

17. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Someone feel free to correct me but as I understand it, that $22m is for the "initial phase" of the project which includes a 13,000 seat main facility and several thousand 'bleacher style' seating. Future phases of construction are not built into that figure, at least that is what I thought.

18. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't forget the Buffalo is only about 45 minutes down the highway. Rochester fans certainly help keep the Bills consistently in the top of the NFL in attendence. Hopefully we will soon be able to return the favor for a Rochester MLS franchise. The purchase of the Buffalo Sabres by Rochester Businessman Tom Golissano, should only help cement the sports ties between Buffalo and Rochester. The Rhino's already reach out to the local Buffalo youth clubs, and I'm sure that effort would intensify for an MLS team. (and once Rochester moves into MLS, Buffalo could hopefully fill the void left as the Toronto's nemesis wih an A-league franchise of our own.

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Rochester.

I don't know if you'll make it to MLS - and I myself prefer real grass, as I know the players do - but either way, it's great to have another SSS in the United States.

I hope it becomes a Field of Dreams.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That laughing you're hearing is from the Burn, Fire, and Metros fans.

21. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Yeah, Rochester's not major league.

So what? Neither is MLS-- yet. I'd rather have 13,000 sellouts in Rochester if they can break even with that number than 16k in Houston if we're losing $4m/year to a bad lease.

You can claim that's not far-sighted enough (TV footprint and all), but the league still really isn't in the position to try more experiments.

22. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this is built, will MLS need Rochester more than Rochester needs MLS? I've seen a couple quotes from the Rhinos GM that moving up to MLS doesn't make great business since. Why increase your costs if you are already making money?

23. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Speak for yourself ElJefe. I think you'll find very few people who are going to laugh at an A-league team doing what some MLS clubs can't or haven't yet done.

Go ROCHESTER.

Oh, and BTW....speaking of lauging....I noticed that you're a Burn Fan!!!

:)

All in good fun my friend.

24. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    What about AstroGrass, the stuff they use in Reading, England? That's 2 percent plastic and seems to be the ticket. Other plastic fields are questionable IMO. What do the players' say concerning FieldTurf and other supposed "grass-like plastic surfaces"?

Also, who is going to pungle up the $10,000,000 MLS entry fee and maintain the yearly fees of a money losing league?

Deep pockets are necessary Rochester partisans, and I don't see any in the vicinity.

25. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Rochester soccer fans:

Congratulations on your impending new stadium.

I've traveled all over the U.S. and few cities impressed me more for its serene beauty, hospitable people and urban infrastructure.

I wish I would live there...