Rochester-New England 8/13 (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Easybake15, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    7:35 tonight, live from Frontier Field, the Rhinos take on the underachieving Revolution. Nicol makes the obligatory comments about the poor turf sitution at the park, which is of course understandable. No Ralston or Llamosa, but Twellman should be in the starting XI, which will give us fans a treat.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/rhinos/0813story1_rhinos.shtml

I'm bringing about 10 people from Buffalo for this tonight. Anyone else attending?

2. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    Yeah i'll be there. Easybake, join us in the bullpen : ).

3. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm bringing my usual crew from Buffalo as well.. Easybake, just come on over to the pen if you want to stand and chant and sing..

We will see how exciting this friendly really is

4. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Final tally: Rochester 1:1 New England

An early goal from the surprisingly pacy Stebbins exposed the Revolution defense, as a beautiful ball was played through the middle by Suarez. Stebbins raced onto the pass with Kante absent in the center and slotted it home past Sommer. Simmonds was very impressive early on, showing excellent touch and exquisite control before being brought off after 30 minutes had elaspes. Rochester pretty much emptied its' bench, whereas New England never brought in the biggest name in attendence, one Taylor Twellman.

Hernandez notched the lone tally for the Revs, absolutely murdering a free kick from 25 yards out left of center. He must have found a gap in the wall, because the shot rang right through where the Rhinos had lined up and plowed through the roof of the net, stranding Onstad in a poor position to save. There was only a bit of chippiness in the second period, one incident occurring after a dangerous play was correctly called on Rhino newcomer Stojanov(sic?) for attempted to play on the ground. There was a tangle of bodies, as is apt to happen, and then out of nowhere, Marshall Leonard comes through and cleans Stojanov out with a massive shove. No card. There were cards for Tanner on a hard challenge on Ian Fuller, and some others, but nothing excessive.

Simmonds and Mladenov were most impressive for the Rhinos, while Griffiths showed some beautiful moves for the Revs on the left wing on the first half, as did Leonard in the second. Rochester had about 6 chances to win it late, however, hitting the bar right before the full time whistle, and coming close on several other occasions.

Surprising? Even Wolde Harris managed to look good - maybe he just looks useless on TV. He rang a volley past the far post at about the 30 minute mark, a gorgeous strike. He also barely missed with an outstandingly powerful snap header midway through the second half, one that had Onstad dead to rights.

All in all, an excellent, entertaining match. Attendence 8,635

5. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Twellman which sucked.

On Hernandez freekick, Onstad dropped to his knees for whatever reason. If he had stood still where he was, it would have gone right into his chest. I think somebody ducked in the wall.

6. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Rhinos Tie Revolution

Bragging Tough for Twellman

Incidentally, there was the one guy sitting behind me at the game that absolutely had it in for Twellman. Whenever there was a questionable offsides call or a foul and the whole New England bench stood up, this guy would scream "Sit your prima-donna ass down!" The first time it happened, Adin Brown turned around and yelled back "Do you know who you're talking to?" which in and of itself was pretty funny. But this guy just really hated Twellman, and kept yelling. Unfortunate.