Roberto Mancini for the Azzurri?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by dor02, Nov 17, 2009.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There isn't a rumour of him taking over from Lippi but if he was the Azzurri coach, I wouldn't like the look of his XI.

http://www.football-italia.net/nov17m.html

For all the Lippi haters, Lippi may have his own agendas and reliant on the heroes of 2006 but on the basis of what Mancini has come up with, we would have some crap players in an XI with Cassano. Barzagli hasn't made the most of his chances and Toni couldn't even score in a brothel.

2. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Cassano crap?

The only players of 06 that Lippi will be bringing are the essential ones; Buffon, Grosso, Pirlo, De Rossi and Cannavaro are guaranteed so far. Gilardino and Iaquinta very likely. Zambrotta is the only questionable one, but until Motta proves otherwise with consistency or Santon starts playing again there are few other options.

Mancini, like Mourinho had the benefit of a good team. In Europe, both of them suck so far. Serie A was weak because of Calciopoli, so Inter's success was artificially inflated. Mancini is ordinary.

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Mancini starting 11 @ WC 2010

Buffon
    Zambrota, Nesta, Barzagli, Grosso
    Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi
    Totti
    Toni, Cassano

vs.

Lippi Probable Starting Lineup

Buffon
    Zambrota, Canna, Chiellini, Grosso
    Polumbo, De Rossi
    Camo, Pirlo, Di Natale
    Iaquinta

or

Buffon
    Zambrota, Canna, Chiellini, Grosso
    De Rossi
    Camo, Marchisio
    Pirlo
    Gila/Pazzo or ?, Iaquinta

4. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is our best available XI.

5. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Replace Zambrotta with Santon and Id agree.

6. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    As far as i know Cassano is available, so I'd disagree.

7. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fully agreed, along with some other notably absent youths who play for the two top teams in Serie A.

At least with Mancini, we'd have the best Italian player on the field. And I got a feeling that all the people who dismiss Barzagli think that playing in Germany is a second rate experience and his involvement in our thrashing at the hands of Holland in 08 is a definite reflection on his talent. You don't start most games for the German champions if you're a talentless hack. The Bundesliga might not be Serie A, but I feel that a national team is somewhat of a reflection of their domestic league. Nobody says that the German national team is a second rate, but the Bundesliga, well, it's just not good enough. Sure:rolleyes:

At least they agree on the 'deadly' Pirlo/Gattuso/Camo/De Rossi midfield. The one that couldn't get the ball against Brazil(our competitive focal point, since we are World Champions) twice in 09. But if you listen to all the Lippi 'YES' men on this board, Candreva (who's team has scored a total of 4 goals), Biondini, and a greasy Brazilian mercenary are going to save us from humiliation.

But wait, Lippi just came out and said that international friendlies don't mean anything. Must be a disappointment to all of his 'YES' men. They were WOW'd by Italy's domination over an uninterested Netherlands squad. We didn't come anywhere near the goal(excluding Pazz's hand of God) but, man, did we embarrass the dutch.

Here's hoping that Lippi gets a knock in the head, realizes his wrongs, and builds some kind of team around the likes of De Rossi, Montolivo, Aquilani, Palombo, Gio, Donati, Cassano, Balotelli, Rossi, Pazzini, and maybe even Gila or Iaquinta. Pirlo can come off the bench. And Gattuso could suit up in a suit and provide all the inspiration he can give from the sidelines. Saves us from a red card.

8. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fine, 'available' is the wrong word. That's 'the best we're gonna get'.

I'd like to see someone replace Zambrotta, for sure. I would have liked to have seen Santon at least once during the Confederations Cup; as of right now he can't really be considered for the squad. Motta also needs to return to his form of last season, because that Motta is better than this Zambrotta, no question.

9. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need Capello, Ancelotti, or Hiddink.

10. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why do we need Hiddink. He can't even beat Slovenia :confused:

11. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    lol>..................................................

12. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Everyone has a bad day I guess, you can't deny he's a good manager. How about Spalletti or Delio Rossi after Lippi? I just want a boss who brings the best.

13. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Per carità :rolleyes:

14. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Obviously, I think Hiddink is a good manager. I do think, however, Russia should beat Slovenia. Also, I believe it would be a disgrace for a foreign manager to be in charge of the Azzurri. I don't like that in world football. It's the 'national' team for a reason.

I'd like to see Spaletti or Prandelli. Anyone who doesn't leave the best Italian player by a mile home, and the two best Italian youths at home. Anyone but Lippi, basically:p

15. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes, montolivo has looked so dangerous when with the azzurri, by all means build the midfield around him...and you criticize lippi for bad decisions. :cool:

16. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because Hiddinks real gift is making his team run a lot and that somehow makes up for lack of technique. :rolleyes: Criticism aside, how easy is it to let the media do one's thinking. Hiddink is yesterday's news. Look at Ancelotti with Chelsea, Hiddink couldn't dream of the same.

17. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to mention the mighty Barzagli who is currently warming the bench at Wolfsburg and hasn't seen the pitch in months... :rolleyes:

I wanted to answer asbari's post, but when I read the name 'Donati' I suddenly realized it was meant to be a funny joke.

18. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hiddink was doing a fine job with Chelsea, let's not forget the competition is weaker this year. Too hard to compare. Hiddink is a good manager but I never mentioned he's the best. He's just one of the few that WILL BE AVAILABLE.

Now this is a manager:
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Ester...009/capello-terrore-rooney-602013516805.shtml

19. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "Non riesco nemmeno a sostenerne lo sguardo. Non solo è un duro, ma ha anche quell'aura che lo accompagna e che ti mette in soggezione. E tutti sappiamo che se non giochiamo bene siamo fuori"

20. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Or wanting to bench our most creative player these days. :eek:

21. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Grant was doing a great job too, but neither compare to what Ancelotti is doing. That's the difference between a fitness manager and a tactical one. And how is it weaker this year? Due to the departure of multiple step over Ronaldo?

Give it a rest. I'm 100% certain you were one of the many who criticized him for "catennacio" when he as a Juve manager. God knows the press here in England did it constantly.

Anyone who knows how to tighten a team up by teaching England to play counter-attack and is a strict disciplinarian was going to get England to play better.

Just look at how sloppy England was and how they threw the game away vs Croatia by doing the exact opposite. It wasn't rocket science.

We all knew it over here anyway ;) You could have taken a dozen managers out of Serie A and basically gotten the same results over Andorra, Kazakhstan, and Croatia now.

22. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Laugh all you want, wtf do I care? It is the internet after all. I'd never said build the entire squad around Montolivo. I think he should be included. Nah, we should rely on Pirlo if I'm to follow you, when it's been proven both at the national level and for AC that all you have to do is pressure the guy to make him invisible in games. Whereas Montolivo has been one of the major reasons for Fiorentina's success this year.

Last time I checked, A.S. Bari had the best defensive record in Serie A. We went to Milan twice and shut out both teams. Ranocchia deserves all the credit he gets, but you're not going to tell me that Donati hasn't played any role in us having a great defense.

As for Barzagli, granted I haven't been following closely or anything, but I'm not going to dismiss him as being 'useless' as most people think. Legro is better??

Yes, I would bench Pirlo. It's not 2006 anymore. He was great in his day and all, but time catches up with everyone. People found him out, simple as that. And he is nowhere near our best creative player. That would be the guy who can't get a call up because...well, Lippi still hasn't told us.

23. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Capello's record speaks for itself, don't simplify it because you have no merit in that regard.

24. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why is Toronto your foe? lol Bari are a great dark horse team. I hope we get Ranocchia! :D

25. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Look if objectivity is too much for you, then just say so. I'm a little closer to the situation. Capello is a good manager. For the record, I loved what he did with us at Juve. I was firmly on his side to even take over the NT, but he chose to go to England instead of wait. He knew that Lippi was going to go back, so I don't blame him for going after bigger dollars than he would have made with the FIGC either. But before he took over England, here, his reputation was one for negative soccer as the English press here like to call it. Now it's no longer that way. Don't be taken in by all the hype. England still has had some losses to giants lately, Brazil, Spain, etc.

So, it's not like Capello performed brain surgery. He just taught the team to play counter-attack and defend with a little more discipline. Ironically the sort of football the press here used to piss and moan about. Hows that for irony?

He didn't make Crouch into a world class striker or anything of that worth.