Roberto Carlos [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mario, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il
    Re: Roberto Carlos is to blame...he alone!

That image also pops up in my mind about ten times a day.
    He is still a magnificent player and will probably end his career in some Arab country.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Of course, but I just cannot understand the lapse in judgment. He went to fix his sock...with the game tied, with the game coming to an end,

3. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

when brazil gets eliminated in the WC, it always has to be in the most painful and dramatic fashion. always. bending over to fix your sock. screwing around at the end of the game and giving the ball to caniggia. reliable zico missing a penalty. rossi having his way.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I didn't even see it initially either. Too much noise, celebrations, flag waving. I only saw it a couple days later.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

First I was really angry. But then Globo did a report on the play and RC and he said was never supposed to go into the box to play defense on FKs. He was supposed to stay outside to pull a counter attack if there was any chance of doing so. They showed 3 other occasions in the WC where he did the exact same thing (including one where he was fixing his socks).

It's also obvious in that play that half the team is playing the off-sides trap, while 3 players follow the French in the box putting them on-side.

So after months of thinking about that play, I've come to 2 conclusions:

1 - While RC's image of fixing his socks is the most obvious thing that went wrong in that play, the whole defense has to be blamed. You either play the off-sides trap or you don't.

2 - And while RC claims it wasn't his job to go into the box, he does have to take blame for the play. Being a very experienced player, I would expect him to recognize the fact that Henry was walking into the box un-marked and follow him eventhough CAP might have instructed him otherwise. So he really can't be excused.

6. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il

But how in the hell do you leave Henry completely unmarked stroling down the right side all alone !!! My God !!!

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

It's understandable if you think the defense is playing the off-sides trap.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I do not not think that was the case. He was bending down fixing his sock.lol

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

No. He actually said it wasn't his job to go into the to mark anyone because of his height. I will send you the video.

If you watch the replay it was 5 french players against 3 brazilians. Some of them were definitely playing the off-sides trap.

10. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
  11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    O RC é um fanfarrão.

12. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Respect to Mr Carlos, i was one of the fans who wished he went to SA 2010. I noticed he had some great backing from players, like Ronaldo, Cicinho, and Junior to name a few.

I saw a press release of Carlos, and he looked real down, but took it with dignity. :(

Be intresting to see how he picks himself up for the match on sunday.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saw a video of him that was recorded around 2 years ago (Raul Gil if my Brazilian friends want to search on Youtube ... don't ask how I got to it), and Roberto Carlos says he has 7 kids (one adopted). From what I could understand, 4 kids came from relationships that lasted less than 8 months. :eek:
    One in Mexico, one in Hungary ... KKKKKK !!!

He also said something funny about Ronaldo. Ronaldo had told him he had done a vasectomy. Not long after that, his current girlfriend announced she was pregnant. So RC calls him up and asks him what the hell happened. Ronaldo said always told that story to women so if they got pregnant, they wouldn't think it was his. Can't believe RC told this story on TV.

14. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Rumours going round Roma are on the verge of signing Roberto Carlos.

:( I like seeing him play with Ronaldo, plus he was beggining to settle and play the odd game really really good.

15. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i laughed out loud.

16. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    http://sportige.com/roberto-carlos-makhachkala/

Quite a sad blog topic i came across regarding Carlos. Touching apon his career and where his latter years have ended up.
    I still belive Carlos could of played some role at the last world cup, if only he stayed at Real or at least went back to brazil sooner.

Apparently the owner of Anzhi brought Carlos a 2million Borghetti for his bday.:eek:

17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really don't think Roberto Carlos gives a hoot about playing for a low level team where there is no real pressure. After all, he is earning a fortune, it is the end of his carreer, and he is doing what he loves, playing futebol. In fact it is a perfect ending to a phenominal carreer, and he will spend the rest of his life in the lap of luxury.

18. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_2rW4Jj3YI"]YouTube - ‪New racist ''banana'' incident against Roberto Carlos (Samara June 22nd)‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rko_UXDq-7s"]YouTube - ‪Roberto Carlos Amazing skill in Training!‬‏[/ame]

Carlos involved in another racist banana incident. :(

He's actually leading the team superbly aswell. I've not watched much of him since his move, but russian user's and highlights i've seen suggest he's playing at a good level.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    He could still play for Brazil. Anyone disagree?

21. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    I strongly felt he should of had Gilberto's spot in the WC roster. Theoratically he was crazy for going to Fenerbahce, else he would of retained his LB spot for sure.

I'd love to see him at the copa's, but his time with the NT is over.

22. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    #123 Ribo_2006, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    RC looking good as a manager so far. His team in Turkey are currently 3rd and have a good shout of the CL, as Fenerbahce and Besiktas are banned for another year.

The turks are mad for him!!!

23. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OK lets rock the boat, I put it to you that Roberto Carlos was a huge liability and a waste of space throughout his Brasil NT career: Every free kick had to be taken by him just because he scored one good one against France in the Tournoi; he smashed 95% into the wall and 4% over the bar and was a crap free kick taker, but was given the ball no matter what; he was a crap defender who was always playing in the opposition half - he killed Denilsons career even though he was a great player; he was too short to defend set pieces; he ties his laces when he`s supposed to be marking Henry.
    Yep, I think Carlos was an enemy agent paid by other countries to be a huge weak link in the Brasil NT.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He did score 11 goals throughout his career for the NT. I remember 3 FKs he scored (France, Argentina WCQ, China WC). He probably scored a couple more out of those 11.

On the other side he was responsible for needlessly giving away the corner that led to France's first goal in 98, the sock incident, and the botched bicycle kick vs Denmark in 98 that could have cost us the game. I don't think we would have won the 98 final anyways, but yeah those were big blunders.

Generally speaking, without counting the blunders, I think the positives of his offense outweigh the negatives of his defensive deficiencies. His predecessors weren't great defenders either. Branco and Junior.

As for him killing Denilson's career ... I guess his influence was so great he managed to not only kill his NT career but also his entire career ... :rolleyes: