Robert Enke - In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Hendrik, Nov 10, 2009.

1. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Re: Robert Enke is dead

Well, I kinda had to take a litte time-out from the internet.
    This whole think really shook me and the internet is not a good place sometimes.

So much ignorance it makes your head hurt.

I don't expect people who never suffered from clinical depression to really get just how it works but the total ignorance of a lot of people just proves that Robert was probably right in being afraid to admit his problem to the world.

I actually first learned of his death on this forum when Hendrik posted the news and I was so shocked, I just couldn't believe it.
    I hought it was an accident, an illness but then to read he killed himself in such a way just breaks your heart for him and his wife and the drain-driver.
    It just didn't seem to match with the image we all had of him. The self-less calm, quiet professionall who cared so much about other people and animals.

It still doesn't seem right.

Wednesday morning on my way to work you could grasp the shock on everyone's faces, the tv in the subway was turned off, I don't know if they did it deliberately? It was a very solemn gloomy mood.
    I walked with the other 35.000 Hannover 96 fans to the stadium on wednesday night and it helped, it was a very dignified thing.
    I was not at the church, to much voyeurism for my part, can you believe there were autograph-hunters?? Strange world.

So much good things happenend later too, Barca's very classy reaction, Bayern's black homepage but also there was Kicker who removed Enke from the 96-page 2 hours after his death only to add him back the next day.

The press conference of Teresa Enke was unbelievable. I think she felt she had to do it because of vermin like BILD who would have probably come out with huge "exclusive" uncoverings each second and this seemed the only way to take the wind out of their sails but it was still horrible.

Maybe it's also a relief to finally talk about it. I will not dare trying to understand what she is going through right now.

Depression is such a terrible illness, I lost two uncles to it, my neighbour, a schoolmate. You can not just "snap out of it", people just don't understand what it does to your mind and rational thinking.

People are saying that this thing might make it easier for people to admit that they suffer from depression since there a better understanding now and if someout came out today like Deisler in the past he wouldn't be called a weakling and worse. I certainly want it to be true.
    Still, there is nothing good about a suicide, it wrecks everyone around the person who did it, Löw, teammtes, family, friends, even his doctors will feel enormous guilt. Robert clearly would not have wanted this to happen but guilt and anger is what a suicide does to people affected by a tragedy like this.

I won't go to the big memorial on sunday even though I'm just 10 minutes from it.
    There were about 35.000 fans taking part in the march from the church to the stadium on wednesday and that was rather spontaneous, I fully expect more than 100.000 people trying to attend on sunday.
    The memorial starts at 11am, the doors will open at 8am, I'd probably need to be there at 6am, it's a bit much.

I don't know how much you people outside of Germany notice of this, but it's almost Lady Di dimensions here, signs of mass hysteria.
    I also think quite a few of this people will be there for the wrong reason, just because they want to be a part of it, they probably film with their mobiles and are hoping for goosebumps.

I mean even the short prayer on wednesday was braodcasted on live state television, the memorial will as well. Would Enke have wanted that?
    There are two politicians going to deliver a speech, why, I don't want to hear what they have to say.
    Well, it was Mrs. Enke's decision so I respect that. It#s a fine gesture to the fans and city to have a public memorial in front of thousands.

Mrs. Enke has also requested for people to not bring flowers but donate money to Per Mertesacker's foundation.
    So if some of you feel like doing this:

http://pms.mertesackerandfriends.de/

As for 96, it's hard to say how this will effect the team, I feel bad for young Fromlowitz, not an easy situation for him. The team will either get stronger or fall apart.
    I wonder if Cherundolo will be there on sunday, I would hope so.
    The Schalke game should not be postponed imo but in the end the players should decide. Enke WAS the heart of this team, the captain, they must be devastated.

The city of Hannover wants to name a public square after him, I like the idea but I expect the decision to take a few years like most bureaucratic decision. We'll see.

These are two videos I took in 2007. We loved him so much, hard to take that we'll never shout his name again:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-iuPLjYJg"]YouTube- Robert Enke - du bist der beste Mann! Nordkurve Hannover 96 RIP[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzEiAqYP44"]YouTube- Nordkurve ruft ENKE - RIP Robert Enke!! :([/ame]

Teresa Enke posted an obituary in the local papers today, the text says:

Hope
    is not the conviction that something will turn out well,
    but the certainty that something makes sense,
    regardless of how it turns out.

Vaclav Havel

[​IMG]

Well, those are my thoughts for now, RIP wonderful Robert, you'll be our #1 for ever, you are terribly missed.

[​IMG]

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

If i could rep this a million times...

3. truderinger

truderinger Member

Sep 19, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

May Robert find the peace he so desperately was seeking. My deepest sympathies go to Robert, his family, friends and supporters.

4. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'd also rep it a million times.

5. schumy

schumy New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Turkey
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

@ F96

The words are not enough...

R.I.P mate, I hope god give strength to all Hannover fans and everyone feels sad about this.

Even I'm from Turkey I still feel that I lost someone from my family:(...

6. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

@F96...

That was unbelievably well thought out and well said. Reps are not enough (although I tried to add mine as well--must spread reputation...:(). Thanks much for sharing your heart on this!
    :)

7. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

I read that the memorial service on Sunday will be the largest in Germany since the death of former chancellor Adenauer. 100,000 expected.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Totally understandable. Every non H96 fan was simply shocked, so I can imagine how you must have felt on that tragic evening and are surely still feeling.

Sorry to hear about that. And now you even have to cope with the tragic loss of your club's idol. Simply terrible!

There will be also representatives of all BL clubs, of Benfica & Barcelona and the whole national team (including Jürgen Klinsmann).

It seems that ARD is going to broadcast live.

I don't think so. Unfortunately, that's the prize you have to pay nowadays if you are "famous" resp. a person of public insterest.

After all, this huge public sympathy also shows how popular & respected Robert was not just as sportsman but also as person!

Very impressive obituary! The same with this small "heart gravestone" on her daughter's grave (donated yesterday by Lara's grandma).

[​IMG]

Btw: Italy's national keeper Gigi Buffon knows the best how much Robert Enke must have suffered, since he had to cope with a depression as well in 2004 (thankfully, he's cured now).

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/12-11-2009/enke-dolore-buffon-601948034294.shtml

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Barça will be represented by the club's sporting vice-president Rafael Yuste and techical secretary Txiki Begiristain.

10. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005

I think this is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. :(

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm still mourning it, I can't even imagine how H96 supporters must feel. :(

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

A very much loved one of mine is dealing with this right now and it does affect their rational thinking to a certain extent. Makes them panicky, on edge and there are emotional triggers that are pulled in these times.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thank you for your post. It was very moving...I don't have anything else I can really say, but again, thank you, Fräulein 96!!!

My thoughts go out to Robert's family, his teamates, all the fans and the city.

14. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That gravestone has me crying all over again.

15. schumy

schumy New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Turkey
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Robert Enke is dead is not a suitable title in my opinion. Could you please change it to Robert enke passed away or something appropriate.

16. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^

Robert Enke: Gone but Never Forgotten...

17. Deamonpen

Deamonpen New Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Hanoi
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It seems the woman has found an answer for herself. She did say in the conference: "We thought we could do everything with love but you can't always do it". Even a strong person would find it hard not to give up fighting in a case like this.

RIP Robert Enke.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peace to Robert, family, and all of his supporters. So sad, so shocking.

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Moment silence for Robert Enke

Spain v Argentina

[​IMG]

Brazil v England

[​IMG]

Switzerland v Norway

[​IMG]

20. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Those are minutes of silence, I presume?

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Moment silence for Robert Enke

Yes, as noted in the subject box.

England v Brazil

[​IMG]

22. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have not seen the memorial, but most people who did, say it was a good goodbye.

23. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yes it was. The one think that really annoyed me was the zooming-in on Teresa Enke, too voyeuristic for my taste.
    Let's just hope BILD stays well clear from the private funeral-

Even the sun came out for Robert, now it's raining again.

24. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dTUjW93e9U"]YouTube- Trauerfeier Robert Enke im Stadion[/ame]

25. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Enke's death affected me more strongly than I would have thought. It has been nearly a week, but seeing the memorial's videos and reading BBC's report on it (currently the most read news on their website, which I think is a rarity for any sports-related news.) made my heart sank again.

I still cannot get over the fact that he was actually playing at this same time last week, and I can't imagine how tormenting it is to be hiding the depression and managing to keep things normal throughout the last three years.

Robert you will be sorely missed and I help you are having a fantastic time with Lara. Again, heartfelt condolences for Teresa and their adopted daughter who had to carry the brunt of this tragedy.