Robert Enke - In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Hendrik, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Re: Robert Enke is dead

Dude. There's nothing wrong with being gay.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I know there isn't, but there is something wrong with trying to generalize. A person can be depressed and not gay, you know?

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Yeah, but speculations after his death sure don't help Enke's wife.

4. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

That's not what I meant. That would only explain added pressure on someone already under a lot of pressure.

I think there's more to it than meets the eye (whatever that more may be).

5. Ruhrgold

Ruhrgold New Member

Oct 22, 2009

It's simply an unneeded assumption, which also isn't backed up by anything we know about Robert Enke.

The reaction of fans and DFB to the news of Enkes suicide and illness has been rather exemplary, actually, and far removed from the stigma that usually characterizes people suffering from clinical depression as moaners and whiners that just need to pull themselves together and get a grip. It probably helped that the death of a daughter is more readily seen as a "legitimate" reason to mourn, whereas a guy like Deissler was seemingly bitching about being talented and famous and rich though his illness was no less real or severe.

Enke probably could have gone public with his depression and been met with understanding. People grant a griefing father the right to be depressed. But that doesn't mean even this step would have ultimately saved his life. It's in the nature of depression that help is a very elusive thing, tragically.

EDIT:

There isn't. That's depression. People who suffer from depression can kill themselves for the most trivial things. Robert Enke didn't, but others frequently do. Depression warps your mind and perception. See: Enke being scared that his adopted daughter could be taken away when there was no chance of that happening - yet the fear of it still haunted him.

6. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

I am not assuming anything. I was trying to find an explanation for a step so drastic that it's hard to understand.

It should be obvious by now that most people didn't know anything about Enke at all.

Either way, my heart goes out to his wife & family.

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That was impressive, indeed. With all mourning, she was probably also relieved to finally TALK about the whole mystery she had to keep secret for so long time. Must have been very, very tough years for her since 2003 (especially after losing the beloved daughter in 2006)...

She was hoping she could help him get along with the illness by giving him so much support & love, but it was a mission impossible in the end. :(

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You're right. Although football players earn some good money, we fans should not forget that they are human beings who feel the same way like we all resp. show emotions.

Hopefully, this sad happening will make all club officials and especially the fans think about the treatment of their players! I don't think that any player intentionally plays badly, so we should always respect the person even when we sometimes aren't content with the performance as player.

I remember very well how the 21 year old Robert Enke was called a "traitor" by many BMG fans when he announced to leave the club to Benfica after the first relegation in 1999, and I know how much that must have hurt his sensitive soul ... so I'm also feeling a little bit ashamed right now (although I cheered him up in that situation).

Now we lost a great player & personality and one of the most likeable persons in Bundesliga. A goalie who was loved & respected by fans from every club and all over Germany resp. even in the whole football world.

Robert, we'll never forget you!

I'm sure he would have been met with understanding, since the public thankfully got sensibilized with this serious topic after the case Basti Deisler!

However, he obviously feared that his career would suddenly come to an end (as happened to Deisler, who was one of the greatest talents in German football) ... and since football meant so much to him (listen to his widow's words), he decided to keep it secret.

Unfortunately, only an extensive psychological treatment á la Deisler would have helped him ... what means that he would have had to totally abandon his beloved football. In contrast to Basti Deisler, he obviously didn't have to will & mental strength for it.

9. schumy

schumy New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Turkey
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Impressive. Thanks a lot!

When seeing him together with his beloved daughter Lara, I can't stop my tears. :(

May they both rest in peace.

11. Zoostation

Zoostation New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

RIP Robert Enke.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London

I really don't mean to be confrontational, but you are the very symbol of the public's complete ignorance and misunderstanding of the illness of depression, and why it probably will take some time for the stigma associated with it to go away.

R.I.P. Robert

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

[​IMG]
    (his team & club manager are both in the front line)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 40,000 fans gave him an impressive farewell tonight.

You'll never walk alone, Robert!

18. schumy

schumy New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Turkey
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Thanks mate. We share your pain...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmFO02UgNMY"]YouTube- Robert Enke and his Daughter Lara[/ame]

19. blue_wizard10

blue_wizard10 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Neverland
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We can only hope they're together now...i pray they are

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Rip to Robert Enke. Even though I do not understand German I saw his widows video and her pain spoke universally. Very sad story. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

R.I.P., and thoughts to his family and friends.

22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

That's an awesome pic.

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

According to "Spiegel online", Fenerbahce's current manager Christoph Daum (who was also Enke's coach when he left the Turkish club after just 1 game because of getting insulted by the fans) knew about Robert's depression and sent him to the Cologne psychologist we saw in yesterday's press-conference.

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,660875,00.html

Especially Daum's statement that he was sure Enke would announce the end of his career after he fled from Istanbul in 2003, is very interesting...

24. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

There are posts in the middle of this thread that doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm still in shock from hearing about this and the YouTube video is making me cry.

And may none of you in this thread ever have to deal with depression.

25. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005

There's a very good piece about Enke on FourFourTwo, it's mainly an interview with Enke by German writer Robert Reng :

Speaking to Robert Enke

Some of you might have read Reng's fantastic book [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeper-Dreams-Ronald-Reng/dp/0224064436/ref=sr _1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258130459&sr=8-2"]"The Keeper of Dreams"[/ame], if not, you definitely should ;).