Robbie Russell is coming home

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by afgrijselijkheid, Jul 18, 2008.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Oft-injured American right back/midfielder Robbie Russell (who played in the Champions League back when he was with Rosenborg) has left Viborg, who claim he will soon have a trial with RSL.

Here's a link, but you won't be able to understand much from any potential computer translation. :D

http://vff.dk/ContentId/11291/Default.aspx

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

..a quick translation :

- "Robbie has, just like Jacob Olesen, had a tough time getting on the team and when he now got the possibility of returning home to the US and at the same time play as a regular, then this was a good solution. We thank Robbie for the years in VFF, and wish him good luck in the USA," VFF director of football Steffen Højer said.

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ...at the bottom it says that Russell was on trial at Salt Lake City earlier this month, but that they do not know if he is going to play for them or continue his career at some other club..

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time he played in a match? He's really been shelved for quite a while.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Grrr... tricky Danish.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  7. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie must have really been decimated by injuries in Denmark, because from what I've read, it sounds like he was a very touted right back in the Norwegian Tippeligaen for Sogndal & then Rosenborg.

I hope he can get things back on track in MLS should he choose to return. There was a time when I thought he'd become Steve Cherundolo's primary backup at RB.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's kinda weird he's coming to MLS now when so many players from the 2001 college draft he's played in are already out of soccer or, at least, out of MLS.

The only players still in MLS from this draft are:

8. Santino Quaranta (DC)
    9. Brian Mullan (LA)
    10. Duncan Oughton (CLB)
    12. Jose Burciaga (KC)
    ---
    15. Bryan Namoff (DC)
    16. Brian Ching (LA)
    20. Eddie Robinson (SJ)
    22. Robbie Russell (LA)
    -----
    27. Edson Buddle (CLB, from A-League)
    29. Jim Curtin (Chicago)
    31. Craig Waibel (SJ, from A-League)

(2. Ryan Nelsen and 19. Eddie Johnson are in the EPL; .40 Cory Gibbs is trying to resurect career in Europe.)

A handful of players are still in USL-1.

I have no idea if Russell has anything left in the tank but if he does, I think he'd be a good addition to most MLS teams, especially if he's not commanding a big cap hit. Not a lot of depth on MLS teams to begin with and even less with Champions' League experience.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I followed Robbie pretty heavily leading up to the '06 WC and he showed to be a damn good prospect at the time. Strong, physical, and could move into the attack without fail. A shame injuries derailed his career somewhat. It all happened after his move to Rosenborg. If healthy he would be a very good addition to RSL. He needs a fresh start and coming home, I hope, will provide that opportunity.

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he'd been in a couple US camps but picked up injuries and couldn't play in the games. Not the best of luck for him lately but he certainly can help some teams here. He was a very good prospect for a while in Norway.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, three times the injury bug bit him preventing him from earning a cap. Twice in camp he picked up an injury and once several days before a camp opened up. Like you said crappy luck the last two years but I hope MLS is a fresh start.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Which should give a good reply to those who ask, "How many US players have gone on to bigger leagues out of Norway or Denmark?"

On average, the overall "major league" careers aren't very long and the percentage of people who "make it" isn't very high.

Full 2001 Draft :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_MLS_SuperDraft

Although, some MLS wash-outs can apparently make it to the Ohio State University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Barclay

13. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes not abroad anymore!
    Welcome to Salt Lake Robbie!

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    After all the injuries I don't think he'd be the fastest player on any team but he's a good player. I'm surprised RSL wanted him since he and Beckerman are basically the same player. I supoose RR will play the holding role and free Beckerman to get forward. Can't have too many good players.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting RSL see him as a rightsided midfielder when he's spent most of his career as a RB ableit one who likes to attack. Glad to see him home and I hope he can put all his injuries aside and plug himself into the lineup at RSL.

16. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

"He and Beckerman are the same player".....eh?

No way he's the fastest on the team after injuries he's had.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's as much a bench player as starter by the end of the year (or injured). He's barely played in the last 2 years.

Odd Lagerway's statement 'the guy they wanted'. A good depth pick-up and maybe he even can shine for a couple seasons, but hardly what one could consider some big catch.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've always thought of him as more of a flank player and Beckerman as more of a holding, central, mid.

Somehow I think RSL will manage to get them both on the field. I think the persons who should be more worried about this move are Wingert, Joy and Beltran.

18. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't think Wingert has anything to worry about. He has had a great season. I actually would like to see him on the backline for RSL, with their style of pushing the outside backs forward his speed could be valuable.

Earlier this month he clocked the fastest 40 time on the team. Faster than both Findley and Beltran, and that's no easy feat.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You guys should sign Johann Smith.

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    The next John Thorrington?