News: Robbie Rogers: USMNT Left back of the future?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Rogers is the epitome of a mediocre, modern fullback.

which in our case is a definitive improvement over any other left back we have, since FJ doesn't really play it any more for his club

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Above average MLS player, don't think he'd be a good NT LB.

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers also hasn't been playing a ton of LB for his own club this year. This season he's spent a good chunk of the time on the right due to Cole.

That said, because of our limited options at fullback, he should be in camp.

Agree with @Geneva - I wrote this in the other thread, his problem is the final third. Not defending or touch. He panics when it comes to the final ball. He does deliver good ones occasionally though. Needs to be paired with a good winger partner who he can combine with. He has that aptitude. But his crosses? :(

pastor and Geneva repped this.
  4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    That's the thing, though .... most of the players that people are just aching to bring in now that Klinsmann is gone are going to be marginal help at best.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they're different marginal than Klinsy's guys (I'm looking at you Michael Orozco and Edgar Castillo).

In all seriousness, though, I think you're wrong. Everyone has their (sometimes off-the-wall) favorites and, sure, Robbie Rogers might not be an upgrade over anyone we've been seeing, but other guys that people want to see (Dax McCarty, Perry Kitchen, Feilhaber, a fair shot for Nagbe and Kljestan) are legitimately possible improvements, particularly given tactical changes (or, just plain tactics). I see lots of comments in favor of those guys and very few about lots of others.