News: Robbie Rogers: USMNT Left back of the future?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been some discussion on this, on the MLS Flavor thread and it would seem worth discussing in it's own merit.

1. Rogers has 18 caps, primarily as a winger or left midfielder, for the USA Men's team. He has 15 caps for the U-20's and performed well at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

2. Rogers was one of the final 7 players cut by Bob Bradley for the 2010 World Cup. He was included on the 2011 Gold Cup squad, but did not feature. Memorably, he scored the goal in Jurgen Klinsmann's coaching debut a 1-1 tie vs Mexico on his first touch, upon entering the match on a low cross from Brek Shea.

3. He has played professionally in Holland and England as well as 132 MLS appearances. He was named MLS "Best Eleven" back in 2008, when he scored 7 goals and was a huge part of Columbus MLS Cup and Supporter's Sheild championships.

4. Rogers is solid athletically, he has good speed. He can also beat defenders off the dribble and is an excellent crosser. Sometimes, he has been criticized for not always reading the play and making the best decisions with the ball. Certainly, he has a pedigree of rich training.

5. Left back, always a troublesome spot for the US, appears to be an open possibility, with the advancing years of DeMarcus Beasley, age 32.

6. And yes, he is gay (not that this has been would be or should even be an issue).
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mls/2013/05/24/robbie-rogers-mls-galaxy-openly-gay/2160105/

[​IMG]

Anyway, Robbie Keane, the Galaxy and Republic of Ireland captain, thinks his performance has been superb.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-been-brilliant-left-back-robbie-keane-pulls-

Rogers played a little on the right in a June 1 draw with Chicago, then got his first time on the left a week later, going the distance in a tie with Chivas USA. He's made another 13 appearances at left back since, impressing all the while.

“This is definitely Robbie's best position,” Keane said. “He's got so much energy and so much quality, he can get back, he can defend, he's very hard to beat, but when he gets into the attacking half, he can cross the ball. I think he's really found his home.”

Arena agrees. He says Rogers “looks like a left back.”

“The thing about Robbie in that position,” Arena said, “is he's an excellent defender, which is the No. 1 box you need to check if you're going to play as a defender, and he does that exceptionally well. The other stuff going forward is just icing on the cake.”

Rogers said he's “happy I've been able to find a position that has helped this team and be able to contribute and find some success at it,” but he's still learning the nuances of the position.

“It's good to have someone like Todd and the other guys to help me with that,” he said. “[I need to work on] staying with the line, forcing attackers a certain way, making sure I track my runners. There's so many different things.

“… It's definitely the best place for me. I've really enjoyed myself, and I have a lot to learn, but I think it's come to me pretty naturally.”

pastor, Marko72, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was wondering if this would generate its own thread, after the story on MLS.

RR is 27 now and will turn 31 in May 2018, just before the Cup. Certainly worth another look with the Nats in his new role.

Outside back is often a role that a good athlete with some skills, but maybe lacking in the full set of attacking skills, can succeed at. Interesting to read that Arena thinks his defending is very good.

3. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can any LA Galaxy fans comment on the thoughts of Robbie Keane and Bruce Arena? Has Robbie Rogers been that good at left back in his 15 appearances this season? I've only seen him play in that position a couple times this season, and while he looked decent to me, he didn't stand out as brilliant (although I don't purport to be as cultured a viewer of the game as Arena or Keane).

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    As someone who watches the Galaxy, he has my vote. It looks like he's better there than on the wing when he was a prospect.

It took him like two or three games and now he kills it. His positioning and anicipation are flawless. Somehow he stays forward a lot and still stays in position defensively. Comfortable with both feet, nice cross, standing or at pace. He can cut in like an inverted winger and switch the point of attack. Decent in the air. And it still looks like he's improving quickly.

FidelCashflow and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  5. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he was "on form" Robbie Rogers always played pretty decent one touch football. Haven't been able to watch much LAG this season, but am curious as to how that's been going. Anyone want to comment?

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It will be interesting to see the way the story develops (in regard to the national team) with the way Greg Garza is coming along.

Garza is now a regular starter at left-back in Mexico. Plus, he's four years younger than Rogers and isn't new to the position.

7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time JK called him up, he still wasn't good enough. I love RR, but unless he's improved his game, especially mentally, he's not the quality we need.

8. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    So was Edgar Castillo.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm quite uncomfortable listing a guy with his injury record as the LB of our future.

I'll wait and see if he can keep this form going and if he can stay healthy before considering such a declaration. But these declarations are normal, and amusing, as every time someone has a hot streak they seem to follow.

Remember when Zusi was the next Landon, or Nagbe would immediately lift our NT if he had citizenship, or that Zardes is better than Jozy and should start for us in Oct?

And of course Arena wants him in the NT, just not on a FIFA date, or when they have an important MLS match coming up, or a playoff game, or a CCL match nearby....

As for Robbie, I'd call him up to Jan camp and take a close look, but thus far at 27, his ability has never carried over to higher levels, whether in Holland, the Championship or the NT previously. Will the outcome be different after a portion of matches at LB? Maybe, but it seems once again emotion it taking over the thought process and a hot streak is causing the cart to be put before the horse.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's better as a left back. RR is not a smart guy, and left back doesn't require as much thinking as a more forward position. Just run your ass off up and down the line, don't worry as much about being caught off-sides.

Also, a testament to Bruce Arena's coaching skills. Not one of RR's other coaches had this idea.

11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a lot of crap for being somewhat high on Rogers when he first came back to LAG. My feeling was that he lacked killer instinct in the final 3rd, but has too many positive tools to be disregarded when the right situation/teammates could turn his career around. Apparently that meant moving to LB, where he's actually shown even more aggression and better final 3rd decision-making. He's really been one of a handful of key components that has turned the season around for the Galaxy.

The biggest mark against him is that he seems quite injury prone.

Ghosting repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Basically agree. The thing is, Rogers this season has become the player that I thought Brek Shea could become at LB (and maybe still could be in the future, Robbie had to resurrect his career, and so could Brek).

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers isn't good enough as a winger. His recent play at leftback however should get him a look come January.

14. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RR is a really key part of LA's possession game. He's got nice touch and is good with combination play in tight spaces. The thing that has surprised me is how solid he has been defensively. Guys aren't getting by him. very often. At this point, I would not trade him for any other left back in MLS.

EDIT: Of some note... he is head-and-shoulders above Yedlin as a defensive player. I know that Yedlin doesn't play on the left. However, for all the love the guy gets, Rogers is currently a better outside back than Yedlin (on both the left and the right).

15. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with any of this except the assertion that people claimed "Zusi was the next Landon". Who was comparing Zusi's slowass to Landon?

justinpaul10 and superdave repped this.
  16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers is a great athlete; his speed is very noticeable on the Galaxy because we're not that fast of a team overall. He really helps the Galaxy with combination play and passing. When he passes the ball he immediately, so you barely see him doing it unless you're watching for it, moves to space. He's always an option for triangle passing and does a great job combining with Donovan and the Galaxy's central mids. He controls the ball around the sideline well, and is a threat to go to the end line and put in a good cross. He could be a part of a good national team, if the other parts are also passing, combining parts and not solo effort guys.

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The press was all about it's Zusi v. Donovan.

Ghosting repped this.
  18. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes I recall that, but I took his post to mean Zusi as the "next Donovan".

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The key word being "was". Then Tijuana decided to let Castillo go and Garza now has the spot nailed down.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i sure hope not

21. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Castillo is actually starting for a much better team. I'm just saying starter in Liga MX isn't anything special. I actually think Rogers has a higher ceiling

22. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Looking at the relative success of converting DMB to LB for Brazil it would seem wasteful to rule Rogers out as an LB candidate.

Not trying to compare them head to head, but I recall that great Portuguese LB Miguel was a converted midfielder, who was just one or two ticks not good enough at LM or LW but shone when his athleticism was relied on more than decision making as is the case for a fullback.

If we could get the poor man's version of that in terms of dynamism in wide play, I'd take it.

Winoman and Geneva repped this.
  23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Plus, the history of players converted to LB for the US is very long. Caliguiri, Hejduk, Convey, Lewis, Bornstein, Beasley. JK's trying it with Chandler, too. Rogers would fit right in to that pattern.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's a 27 year old who wasn't good enough at some pretty low levels in Europe. I find it hard to believe that this guy is the LB of the future. Calling him that is pretty crazy, IMO at least.

I do think Rogers along with Garza are the two LB's in based in North America that deserve call ups to the National Team, but I'm not ready to say that Rogers should even be part of the best 23. Right now I prefer Garza to Rogers. Lets see this guy have success at LB for the USMNT before we anoint him as the future at LB. He's not even played a full season at LB after looking like his career was almost over prior to that. I'm skeptical, but willing to see what he can do for the National Team at LB.

25. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone wants to anoint him. Way too soon for that. The discussion is about taking a look at him in some friendlies in the coming months.

I'd love to see a competition between him and Garza at LB leading up to the Gold Cup, with Beasley purely as the emergency injury reserve LB.

(Likewise, I'd love to see Yedlin and Chandler battle for the RB spot in the coming months. Use Fabian Johnson in midfield for the next year -- he can always move back to RB later if the battle between Yedlin and Chandler fails to impress.)

lmorin repped this.