Robbie Rogers signs with Heerenveen (8/14)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Aug 3, 2006.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Robbie Rogers to Heerenveen?

I'm still sticking with "Mind Blindness".

Heerenveen - USA Netherlands.

Viborg -USA Denmark

Reading - USA EPL

Hamburg SV - USA Germany

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend describing me to her friends after we broke up.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

I've pitched this idea elsewhere, but the USMNT may receive an extra dividend or two down the road from our Euro players playing in useful pairs.

I think this is obvious if Bradley & Rogers or Feilhaber & Zimmermann play decent minutes together in games, but it could still be true even if they just practice together for a couple of years and then go their separate ways.

For some time to come, we're likely to have a blended Euro/MLS USMNT, and the more time some of these guys play pro ball together along the way, the better.

4. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    Voetbal International (biggest soccer magazine of The Netherlands) has just declared that he signed a contract for several years For SC Heerenveen. There's not much extra info.

But now it's official.......!

5. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  6. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Sweeeeet. Good luck to him.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie's deciding factor: out-of-control late night parties at UVA (which rumor is its legendary party school) or a late night rumble with a $2 hooker in one of Amsterdam's famed brothels on a visit to Ajax! Tough one to call :D

Its great to see Robbie and Michael paired together at Heerenveen. I'm crossing my fingers that he can have the same immediate success Michael has had. does anyone know if he'll bet trust into 1st training and/or a 1st team player right off the bat?

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

Why would most of them care?? Some play in MLS and are happy. Some play in MLS and want to play elsewhere. Some play elsewhere and are happy. Some play elsewhere and want to be in MLS.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

All true, but two things stand out in my mind. First, MLS salaries are notoriously low, even for all-stars - see the Perkins (29K) thread here on YA for example. Second, if MLS has you under contract, it can be a real hindrance to (getting out from under and) going for the big bucks in Europe.

Rogers cut out the MLS middle-man and that must favor him economically in the long run. He might get homesick, but he's done some international traveling and has a year of college, i.e. independent living, to his credit - he should be fine.

For every MLS player like LD who could go to Europe but doesn't want to and doesn't care who goes (or wants to go), I bet there are a lot of MLS players who envy Rogers' going directly - presumably for pretty good money.

And there probably are YA's who would like to return to the US and play in MLS, but I doubt their motivation is the money. MLS salaries really are that low!

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Well, when an All-Star or a US capped player like Dempsey, Noonan, Robinson, et al. makes ~ $100K or under while a college prospect like Robbie is looking at $400K+, then you'd think that most of them would not be pleased.

BTW, Heerenveen's page is incorrect. Rogers's birth is May, 12, not December, 5th, so he is 19 already.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I've been on this side of the argument before, but the more folks counter it, the more I can see their pov. Why would a professional want to play for $500k (euro 401k) when he could play for $25-$60 k. Are you implying that professionals play for money?
    And anyway, $40 k in new york is about the same as $500K in holland.

One other note, having some cash in his pockets, I'd suggest he steer clear of the $2 hookers. One area in which I'd strongly advise against bargain hunting.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

I don't get your point. Nothing stopped those guys from going to Europe and trying their respective luck.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Well, I assume MLS contracts did.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

$2!!!! you don't know the dutch too well!!!! :D

i believe the cost for a "rumble" is about 50 euro any time of day

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know them to well but they took full advantage of me and my friends when we visted an Amsterdam "coffee shop" :D

16. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie went the U of Maryland, not UVA. My bro went to UVA and I am a Terp. While the campus at UVA is quite pretty, the partying at that school is nowhere near the level of partying at Maryland.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't why i typed UVA, stupid me, I knew better. Yeah from what I;ve heard from a collge friend from Maryland is a Monday thru Friday party with classes squeezed in. :)

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Geesh, where do you guys shop? Skagmart? STDs R Us?
    I can say that in Berlin, basic starting cost for a professional: 130 euro, but cost escalates pretty quickly...
    Uhm, I have a legit reason for knowing this, btw.
    That's right, legit.;)

20. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Wow, its almost cheaper to pick up a girl the usual way.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Somehow that should be a sig for someone.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And keep the college party scene and Amsterdam high-priced hooker thread going right here. :eek:

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Tim - if you open a high priced hooker thread, I will merge this discussion into it because I'd rather not have two running threads on the same topic. Is that hard for you to understand?

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Got it! Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor.

"Is not the spider also trapped in its own web? Which is truly the prisoner? The fly, which moving freely enters unknown danger? Or the spider, which having spun its web, remains, never knowing the pleasure or the danger of the fly?"