Robbie Rogers signs with Heerenveen (8/14)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Aug 3, 2006.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I noticed a few of you all discussing this on the Milk Cup thread on the youth board, but thought posting it here might get some of the Netherlanders sniffing around - Topdrawersoccer and, it seems, a relative of Robbie's are suggesting he was trialing in the Netherlands, perhaps at Heerenveen before heading to Northern Ireland.

He set up a goal (for Zimmerman, I think) and scored another in the U-20's latest, so he didn't hurt himself at all today.

If anyone in Holland or parts North have an info, feel free to chime in.

2. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Re: Robbie Rogers to Heerenveen?

The Heerenveen-site has a small piece on a young Canadian player called Rogers who played one game for young-Heerenveen against Hapoël Kfar-Saba FC from Israël on the 24th of July. There's no more info on the guy on their site. So I don't know if they made a mistake regarding him being from Canada or this is a completely different player.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Well, Robbie Rogers was rumored to be on trial somewhere in Europe before the Milk Cup so the timeline that would have him score a goal makes sense.

The Heerenveen references come from www.topdrawersoccer.com in their game story of the US U20 game vs. Wales on Monday.

Maryland forward, who continues to attract the interest of Dutch side Heerenveen,

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/?article=1852

BTW, it sounds like the kid is playing great soccer right now. He had a goal and an assist against Denmark yesterday and the goal sounds like it was absolutely spectacular, so if Heerenveen has someone in No. Ireland watching, I can't imagine they wouldn't be impressed.

Here's the description of the goal, also from TDS.

McCarty took the kick and at first it seemed that he had over-cooked it somewhat. But Rogers, at the far post, made the most of the situation by heading the ball over his marker before emphatically volleying the ball into the back of the net with his left foot.

When was the last time you hear of an American player at ANY level pull off a move like that?

If I'm Sacho Cirovski, I'm getting a little nervous my best player ain't comin' back this fall.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the right time-frame for when Robbie was supposedly in the Netherlands.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ddin't Robbie have an offer in hand from PSG last summer? He's a talent no doubt and if he shows well I could easily see him becomeing a YA. It would be nice to see him jion Bradley at Heerenveen.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

I thought it was PSV? (And, as a teen, he spent some time at Bayern Munich on Klinsmann's recommendation.) At any rate, not sure if it was an offer or just training/trials.

7. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis

And I thought it was Feyenoord.

8. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They may have waited too long if they didn't already sign a deal (which I would guess we would have heard about by now). This appears to be a well-scouted tournament and he could no doubt attract interest from other clubs. As you will recall, young Spector was signed after being spotted in this tournament by ManU. (and the fact that he was "filling-in" as a CD made the story even more spectacular).

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heerenveen, PSV, PSG, Feyenoord, Bayern does't matter, I've heard his name linked so many times with so many different clubs, its pbvious that he has European ambitions. I, for one, am happy for him and hope that his performances in the Milk Cup paves the way. I've seen him twice play for Maryland, and thought he was head and shoulders above the others.

10. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003

So what's he like? In an interview, he says he tries to play like Robben, but of course has his own style. I understand he's about 6', is left-footed, has great touch and good wheels. Justin Mapp with a better work rate?

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Laurent Robert.

12. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003

Just curious SFS, where have you seen him play?

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I watched a few times when he was MD, but he didn't have the same impact upon a match that Robben does at his level. Seems to have good levels of Technical ability, skill, and pace. But I'm not sure how responds with his space closed down, as his college opponents tended to back off him a bit because they were terrified that he'd just blow by them on the dribble if they got too close. and I didn't really figure out his work rate as his team generally had the ball more often than not (they won the NCAA championship)

14. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of those things are true from what I've seen at Maryland. He was never really the focus at Maryland with Garey and the rest of that crowd there, but he has shown some flashes of brilliance. It strikes me that he faded in and out of games a bit, but that it was more a function of playing on a very good team with lots of weapons rather than being a workrate or focus problem.

He's not particularly flashy, but seems to be able to get by people with ease. Sort of Pat Noonan-like, but with more speed maybe? Watching him and Lee Nguyen in the same game was enlightening.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

On TV, ESPN had the NCAA Final Four.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Who struck you as having more talent/skills/upside of Nguyen and Rogers?

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Sacha Kliestaans, Benny Feilhaber, Jozy Altidor, David Arvizu

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Really? You think all those guys are better than Nguyen and Rogers? I'm not doubting you as I've only seen Kljestan play for an extended length of time.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Other than Kliestaan, I've only watched all these players on youth or college level in Robbie's case.

Arvizu was inconsistent at the U17 tournament, but when he was on he was an absolute game breaker, and Jozy offered a bit less pure skill, but is probably the most explosive physically of the bunch I just named.

With Nguyen and Benny, I've only watched them with the U20s. Benny was dominant, Lee was ksillful but lacking athletically IMO.

But it's been abot a year since I've seen these kids play. So I'm not sure what they can do now. But for the attacking players, they stiull have a LONG way to go to reach the levels of Convey, Beasley, and Donovan, and for Benny and Sacha - they're the first in their position since Johnny O'Brien, depending on how you feel about Rico Clark - who's also better than Kleistaans at this point.

20. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was hard to compare, except to say that they're quite different. In the first half, Nguyen was all over the place and giving the ball away over and over again, and was totally on a different page than his teammates. He clearly had a lot of technical skill, but Maryland's experienced defense was shutting him down.

Rogers was a lot more integrated. He made some very nice runs down the wing and cut in to the box pretty well, but was not dominant.

This was one of the wildest games I've ever seen. Jason Garey scored two goals and, IIRC, Maryland was up 3-1 with just a few minutes left when suddenly Nguyen took over and got two assists to tie the game right before the whistle.

I'd say from this one game (not a good sample):

Talent- Rogers, based on athleticism
    Skills- probably Nguyen
    Upside- probably Rogers

Lee seemed like he had lots of tricks and skills, but was trying to do too much on his own. He reminded me a lot of Freddy Adu in previous years in terms of phsyique and lack of understanding with his teammates. Rogers is subtler and has the potential to be explosive.

21. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

Here's his profile from the Terps' website:

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/rogers_robbie00.html

He's listed at 5' 10" and to me seems maybe a bit smaller. I only saw him play a few times in last years' NCAA tournament games at Maryland. He always looked good but didn't play with the pace of an Arjen Robben type player in the games I saw.

I think he chipped in a goal at the very end of one game (either St Johns or Akron) as the other team was pushing most everyone forward to equalize.

A very good (at the NCAA level) outside mid who can play on either side. Lots of skill on the ball but didn't seem very physical. I don't see why he couldn't play more centrally.

I'd call him the next Tab Ramos but I thought Johnny Torres was going to be the next Tab Ramos a few years back!

22. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003

So how good is his right foot? Sounds like he can swing some crosses in from the right as well, at least from the ussoccer.com copy.

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Arvizu isn't bad and neither is Altidore. Mind you, I watched them both play (for the first time) at an MLS Reserve match. Arvizu can play, but am not sure if he can take the physical beating in MLS. Altidore is supposed to be the real deal, but he didn't show much that particular night.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

can they even legally vote yet?

25. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Honestly this is what I noticed about Robbie most often. Much better with his weak foot than most American players. I don't know if he's legitimately "two-footed", but he certainly is unafraid to use his non-dominant right foot if not.