Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    no contradiction here :rolleyes:

2. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    You need to take a brush to your narrow definition of what a winger should be and dust it off some. It's looking really ancient.

Both are soccer players first and wingers second.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm starting to think you're a ********ing moron.
    One discussion involved HEADED goals.
    The other involved his club team, and how rarely he scores for them.

Its not ********ing complicated.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh? Name me one winger that scores a lot from headers. Go ahead.

And as a soccer player Cronaldo doesn't score enough. Especially when you take headers out of the equation, since he's supposed to take set pieces (at which he's not that good).

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Who would have tought?
    Whats the point of bringing Duff to discussion? we all know he is more of a proven player than both.
    I can also say that Figo is more of a proven player than all 3 but this doesn´t make me sound clever.

6. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    1--»Already more productive? well if you see things in % perspective i can agree with you 4 or 5 games 3 goals of course he is more productive, probably one of the most productive in the world right now.
    What are the highest stages of club football?
    The Dutch league hmmm, has he done something relevant in Uefa Cup or CL?
    I could say that CRonaldo was fantastic in the Portuguese league in the only year he played here from 17 to 18 but i am sure no one on this thread saw him play before h went to MU.
    The reason why you only mention club football is beyond my comprehension ;)

2--»I am talking about limitations, how is Robben in his heading game or is right foot, can he use his skills to go against a tight defense and cross or shot?
    When 2 or 3 defenders came to mark him what will he do?
    Thats the kind of things players like Robben and CRonaldo need to have in mind while playing at the highest level.

3--»Like i said, this isn´t a good comparision, how many times you saw CRonaldo hit the bar or the post? who was the best player in the final of the FA cup last year?
    Is Rooney a winger? Isn´t CRonaldo doing good games in MU?

4--»No one know, thats true, but i am sure we can look a player and wonder what he could become?!
    I am not going to disagree on the production issue, but i surely can say CRonaldo is the type of player the big teams need to creat spaces to open up tight defenses etc etc

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    OK. Take his numbers and goals this season compared to all of Ronaldo's last season. Did Ronaldo even score 3 goals for United?

The Champions League, where Robben has scored more despite playing for an inferior club.

The statistics for international competitions are remarkably similar. Robben has fewer caps, and has scored 2 fewer goals. He led Euro2004 in assists, as I recall. (Tied with Poborsky, if memory serves.)

Yes. His right foot is just fine. Did you watch Euro2004 where he switched flanks with Van der Meyde repeatedly, and put in crosses from the right?

Pass, which is what you should do.

You don't need to beat three players off the dribble when a simple pass will achieve more. Cronaldo has yet to realize that.

Against Milwall?

Is Ronaldo a good player? Absolutely. Do I think Robben is better? Yes.
    As for Rooney - Everton occasionally played him on the wing as well last year. My point was general - if you can impress on a poor team, surely you have more chances of that on a better team, which provides you more support.

OK. I simply think Robben is better at doing that.

8. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Phorass you have too much time on your hands mate. lol

9. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just in case you havent seen it yet, no matter who you favor in this debate, this goal is class:

Robben's goal

10. Matt5696

Matt5696 New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    I'd be nice to hear some impartial opinions, seeing how most people are Portugal/ManU or Holland/Chelsea fans. Asking biased people to debate an objective point generally goes nowhere. I like Robben, but I'm a Dutch supporter, so to hell with my opinion.

What I'd like to know, are the opinions of people who have no reason to like one over the other.

Having said that, I've read some Man U supporters pick Robben, don't think I've seen any go the other way around. Nice to see people not blinded by loyalty.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    ...or it could simply be that Robben is the better player ;)

btw - now, i've seen quite a few of Uniteds games this season, and, i'll admit i never looked at it with any degree purposely noticing, but where is all this talk of 3 players coming out to mark/tackle CRonaldo coming from?

Inventive imaginations.

12. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    You mustn't watch Utd then, not that I think you do with anyway. But ya its 2 or 3 most games.

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, as i said, i never much paid attention to that particular aspect of the game - indeed i may have missed it if it does indeed happen.

3 players?

Sent out to mark one winger?

You'll have to forgive me for not believing this untill i see it (again?)

14. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Hardly ever 3, but quite often two, ive seen some teams 3 up on him.

15. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Like Liverpool, Kewell never got forward, because he was helping Rise all the time.

16. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes but if you guys want to take strengths and compare... then I think Ronaldo in Chelsea would probably the best that could ever happen to your team. Imagine how many freekicks he'd would win and since you guy almost only score on set pieces then Ronaldo in Chelsea would be a perfect match.

But in Man U Without RVN there's no one to score. They're horrible at set pieces...

17. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    as a portugal fan i know which one i want in my team, what are his stats for country again 6 goals and 6 assists in 10 games, you boys can have robben, one other thing why not compare robben to reyes why does everyone have to be compared to ronaldo if there are better youngsters out there?

18. Matt5696

Matt5696 New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    I thought the same thing when I read 3 markers on Ronaldo. I do watch Man U games and haven't noticed anything as such. Even double teaming Ronaldo would free up too much space for Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, and Giggs...

I could see one marker, another to support every now and then but anytime you see 3 guys on Ronaldo I think it's probably 2 other guys veering off a little from their responsibilities because they know Ronaldo sometimes holds the ball more than he should. That isn't the same as having 3 people actually marking him.

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people tend to have to make things up to support there arguments.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people act like robben is crap for holland, he led euro 2004 in assists. besides if you are going to mention international stats, why dont you compare club stats? because you know it doesnt support your argument.

21. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    why should i compare club stats? i only care about how he plays for portugal i dont really care if he doesn't do the job for man utd. it doesn't bother or effect me.

plus the two have played each other before robben got no joy out of miguel while ronaldo scored and got an assist.

finally man utd haven't really settled, some of their players aren't what they used to be and they haven't found their rythem yet once they do it will be a differen't story. Robben is playing in a stable team, ronaldo isn't add to that ronaldo has looked tired at times because he played all of euro and played in the olympics, plus the bar has denied him a few goals, so the stats of 2 players in very different situations dont neccesarily paint the most accurate of pictures do they.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Shhhhhh...
    :D

23. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Why talk about Ronaldo? it seems the most important thing for a winger is goals... So let's change this thread to Luis Boa Morte vs. Robben!! 4 goals in 4 games for Boa Morte. he must be the best winger in the league!!! :rolleyes: He must be the best winger in the world!!!

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -because we're talking best overall player, not best individual player, and you dont want to bring it up because it doesnt support your argument.

i didnt know someone could fit so many excuses in one paragraph, give it a rest

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you might want to watch a few games, boa morte is not a winger, hes a striker.....GENIUS!