Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Tell you what, ask again around Christmas and i'll give an honest answer.

Right now it's too early to say, but, i'd still take Robben over the fake Ronaldo.

Case in point here.

Robbens goal this weekend against the Toffs.

Now, this is just my opinion lads, but if that was the fake Ronaldo in the box, he wouldn't have stopped rolling on the turf untill he hit either the advertising boards or the camera men behind the goal.

Robben just got on with it and chipped the keeper.

Thats the type of player i would want in my team!

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

I agree completely. Although I'm Chelsea fan, i give credit where it's due. CR is a heck of a player, but soccer is not about how well and how pretty you look with your dribbles, it's about being in the right place at the right time. Thus, Robben looks like he will be in that "right" place much more often.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    All the people who say Robben had a poor Euro2004........did you watch the tournament? He had a great tournament, save for the last game. Did you see the difference between his play and Van der Meyde's?
    His depature from the field in the Czech game was blamed by most Dutch fans for the loss (he provided both assists, iirc), as the Dutch were leading at the time. He had an excellent game against Sweden, and a good game against Latvia.
    Yes, he had a poor game against Portugal. I agree. However, the whole Dutch team played like shite.
    And if we're going to talk about bad Euro2004 games, how about Ronaldo's first game? Gives away a stupid penalty, and then puts in umpteen crosses to absolutely no one.
    Both are excellent players, but I've always preferred Robben because his crossing and shooting is far more accurate. People talk about Ronaldo's "wicked" shots. I can't remember him scoring for United, and most of his goals from Portugal have come off of headers. While that's nice, I don't overly care about that from a winger, especially not on a team with Drogba, Terry, Gallas and Lampard.

4. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    No, Robben was impressive, the manager's asinine decisions in not playing him were the problem.

5. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    hey ,lets not forget that ronaldo is 19!!!!once he has matured enough ,he will be THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE PREMIERSHIP!!!!

6. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My main point I guess was that Ronaldo shone the entire tournament aside from the first game of Euro2004. Robben fell asleep in Holland's most important game.

The best point made here so far is that pretty soon teams will start paying Robben more attention. Right now he doesn't quite deal with the same aggressiveness and attention that Ronaldo gets from opposing defenders.

Both are amazing talents though, don't think I'm trying to degrade Robben in the slightest, it's just that even now I would choose Ronaldo.

7. invincibles49

invincibles49 New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    robben whipped the dutch team into gear. they were horrible with zenden on the left wing against germany and robben made all the difference when he came into the team.

then again i really do not like ronaldo, but still, you cant say anything bad about robbens euro. it was his coming out party, while ronaldo was already well known and thus got more attention.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Please - the second Portugal game was another flurry of missed crosses, and he didn't fare that well in the final.

:rolleyes: The whole team did. And Robben shone the whole tournament, aside from the last game.

Fair enough. But there's no reason to suggest Robben had a poor Euro2004, which he most certainly did not.
    Remember, this is a kid who converted Holland's penalty kick for their first every win on penalties in a major tournament.

9. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    i would have to take Ronaldo...robben hasn't played a full season in a top tier league like Ronaldo has...at the end of this season. is the only true point where we can make our answer...

10. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Ronaldo is Portugal's NT!!! Robben got them into gear? ok... And about ronaldo only scoring with his head? I recall a shot from outside the box against russia and also another goal scored with his feet... He scored on a free kick in the Olympics. and has assisted on almost all of Portugal's goals.

oh and Nicephoras... Ronaldo played bad in the the 2nd game? Didn't he make that beautiful otuside of the foot cross to Rui Costa? He played like 15 minutes... how can you judge his 2nd game? How about his 3rd game? he Embarassed the Spainish team.

About Robben being stopped by Miguel and Ronaldo being stopped by ashley Cole... Miguel isn't very well known for his defensive play... And Ashley Cole is a much better defender then Ronaldo is and Cole was playing really dirty with Ronaldo.

11. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Ronaldo is all flash and no substance. The fancy step-over fakes rarely amount to anything. Defenders in the Premiership really don't have that much trouble containing him. Usually when he has the ball, it ends in his dispossession or a dive. It's uncanny. He does occasionally whip a nice cross through the box, but not often enough to justify the hype. And as a scoring threat--check his stat sheet. NADA, ZIP, ZERO goals in England this season.

Robben and Reyes are both better players at this point, by far.

12. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Either you've only seen him play once (and not recently) or you just don't know what you're watching.

Newsflash. Ronaldo has chilled with the stepovers and the diving. You could have complained about that stuff a year ago, but now it just makes you sound stupid, like you are just regurgitating what you heard other people say a long time ago, without having watched him play recently.

Premiership players don't have trouble containing him? You just can't be watching the games. Nobody is that blind. He gets marked by 2 or 3 players every game who have to scramble to contain him and even despite that he manages to be dangerous. He doesn't always make great decisions with his final ball, but once he gets better at that, he will be unstoppable.

13. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Cole's policy was basically chop like a lumberjack, and it worked in that sense, although how Cole got away with half those challenges I'll never know. The same happened at OT this time around, where the first bad fouls were commited by Cole on Ronaldo. Robben looks good but has only played a handful of games, all against crap opposition.

14. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    ya good post, and some people forget he is 19.
    :rolleyes:

15. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    For all the supposed hype surrounding Ronaldo, there is lots of negative hype.

It seems like a lot of people think that he's all stepovers and diving, just because he played that way when he first entered the league. I think a lot of people who still say that haven't seen him play recently and are just buying into the negative hype that he's just doing stepovers and giving the ball away.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    its funny everyone is taking sides for both. but to be honest they both having a good year. robben is more flexible and gets the clutch goals while ronaldo is more versatile still cant score but hes dribbling skills outworks defenders therefore i gotta say ronaldo. here a question whos gonna be better robben nope!.

17. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA

Sorry mate, but i'm not one of them.

Robben is by far the better player. As soon as I heard that he was coming to the prem, I had a strong feeling that he'd be a major player for Chelsea.

The thing that bothers me, is that we (Liverpool) missed out on Duff, and now he's going to be second fiddle to Robben in the near future.

Gutted!!!!

18. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Honestly I haven't even heard of Robben...
    Ronaldo is good, but he also has a lot more potential than his current form, I think.

Watching last weekends game... it seemed like all Ronaldo did was bad stepovers and bad crosses. Most of the time when he got the ball, it was a dispossession on a failed stepover, or loss of possession on a bad cross.

19. ApoJapo

ApoJapo Member

Jun 2, 2004

Hmm I see, Location; US = football noob

20. PasadenaBlitz

PasadenaBlitz New Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Robben is only 20. I'm looking forward to a good rivalry for many years to come.

21. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Robben. I've just been thinking how ManU probably should have fought harder to get him, and how he'd be part of my dream ManU lineup. I've wanted Ronaldo to do well, but so far he still seems more promise and not enough results, despite his undeniable entertainment value.

22. PSV kampioenen

PSV kampioenen New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Eindhoven, NL
    Robben is by far the better player. I hope he will not lose his flair in England, like van Nistelrooy... Ronaldo is a bit of a show-off. Wait till the end f the year, everybody will love Robben (I know because I have seen him in action for 2 years in Eindhoven)!!!

23. ApoJapo

ApoJapo Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Robben is better. Robben is much more effective than Ronaldo. Ronaldo plays more for his actions. Robben is much smarter than Ronaldo also.

24. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben by miles.

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Let's talk about this after Robben's 2nd season in the EPL.