Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. invincibles49

invincibles49 New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I'd have to say Robben is a better player than Ronaldo. He can actually do more than taking people on, and is just as good as Ronaldo 1 v 1. Everyone just likes Ronaldo because hes more flashy.

So... who do you think is the better winger?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Robben is more consistant, but Ronaldo is the better player.

4. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Robben, because he seems more consistent and not a prone to diving

5. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    I say Ronaldo. Robben on a little form and he is better :rolleyes: . Plus they are both young so it does not mean anything at the moment.

6. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
  7. PasadenaBlitz

PasadenaBlitz New Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Robben, ever since he ripped Hejduk a new one in the US friendly against the Netherlands. If I had my pie in the sky? Both.

8. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Ronaldo!!!! We all saw the Portugal vs. Holland!! Ronaldo was the better player... He scored. And Robben couldn't do anything with Miguel sticking to him. 1 vs 1 Ronaldo is much better. Crossing Robben is better. But Ronaldo has the height and strength. And they're both prone to diving... If Ronaldo didn't dive he'd have his legs broken for sure. If someone hacks at you and you stay up. Then you won't be walking for long.

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I remember after this game that most people on the US nats board were ripping Hejduk for making Robben look like a "superstar". I guess Robben is a superstar, but not because of Hejduk.

Look people, these two guys are amongst the greatest talents in the world right now. i always think about who I would rather defend against as a team, and it's pick your poison honestly. They are both phenomenal flank players, and I honestly can't see much difference between them in terms of impact.

10. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben.

Ronaldo's still a punk.

and remember Ashley Cole Nullified CR in the Eng/Por match, so big honking deal;)

11. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    funny, when i see him Dive it makes me Want to Break His Legs:D weird no?

12. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I haven't seen a lot of Robben but he looks class. The match of the day highlights the other night of the game against Everton were great, he ran the show.

13. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Going down when you get hacked and going down on your own are two very different things.

14. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    We aint going to agree. I am a Man Utd fan while you are a Chelsea fan. Plus when did Cole Nullify CR. You must be refering to when you play FIFA 2005!

15. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On raw talent Ronaldo... but Robben seems to do more with less. If I was managing a team right now I'm take Robben.

16. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    You are managing a team! ;)

17. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Robben is playing well for Chelsea at the moment so everyone seems to be on his bandwagon. But if it actually came down to it and everyone here had to pick either one of them, I'd put my money on Ronaldo being picked most often.

Euro 2004, Robben was not very impressive. Ronaldo was.

18. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Id like both please. Robben was poor in Euro but started well in the EPL. But tbh is he getting doubled up on? All to soon.

19. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, i'll give credit to Ronaldo, i think he's a good player & i think he's only going to get better, but right now he looks better than he actualy is (all that driblin' an such').

england vs portugal euro 2004 quarterfinals. widely regarded as Ashley Cole's best game ever for England. marked CR as well as Miguel marked Robben in the semis.

i like CR better now since he cut all that spaghetti out of his hair:D

20. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    The two will be the best in the world with time, but Robben has been playing top level for a while and might just be ahead of Ron. On talent, however, how could someone beat Ronaldo?

21. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    With Ronaldo and his dribbling 'tricks', a funny sidenote: I was in Holland watching the Euro this year and Ruud Gullit had a nice remark about all of that. He said "I never could do trick dribbling or juggling. It just isnt an important part of the game."

Which leads to my point. CR has a lot of talent, his talent level is over-inflated by all of his tricks, etc. For a consistent high-level player, I'd take Robben hands down.

Something pretty hard to say given that he was a PSV player and now is part of Spartak London. :)

22. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

I dunno know about that. Robben was pretty good when he played. He was the best Dutchman for at least one game.

I have to admit I am a Man United fan, but I prefer Robben. I think he makes better runs, and plays better within the framework of a team. Still, I think eventually Ronaldo will be better, as he is the better dribbler and shooter from long range. There is a reason their transfer fees were so similar. I wish United had signed him as the understudy for Giggs, and we could just rotate the 3 wingers.

23. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Sean Wright Phillips :D

24. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Man, I don't know what game you were watching. I'm a big R7 fan, but Ashley Cole just gave it to him in Euro 2004. He completely dominated R7 all by himself with no help. I had a new respect for Cole after that game. If you saw anything else, then you must have been watching another game.

Regardless, I'd take Ronaldo over Robben. I think the guys who say Robben is better don't realize that Ronaldo gets double and triple teamed every time he gets the ball. Robben has started out really well, but I think as opposing coaches learn more about him and how to deal with him, he will cool off. He will still be a great player, but he can't carry on this form from these first couple games. Even in Holland he was always dangerous, but never got the kind of relentless attention from multiple defenders that Ronaldo sees every week in the Prem.

Ronaldo is better than Robben at almost everything. He's a better dribbler, faster (with or without the ball), more athletic, loads better in the air. Robben may be about as good as Ronaldo in striking the ball, but Ronaldo can unleash nasty shots and crosses from either foot, where Robben is entirely (and at times amusingly) left-footed. I have yet to see him take a touch with his right foot in like more than a year of watching him for club and country.

The big advantage Robben has over Ronaldo is just that Robben is a lot smarter and knows how to play the game. Ronaldo sometimes makes decisions that puzzle me, but I think since he's young, he'll get smarter with experience.

25. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Absolutely not... SWP is a class below these two, even if he is a great player