Road trip v. Harrisburg and Dayton 9r)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 1, 2013.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston start a two match road trip tonight as they take on red hot Harrisbugh on the island at 7pm.

Jose Cuevas and Ben Fisk didn't make the trip with injuries but newly arrived from Vancouver on loan is Bryce Alderson

Specualtion on my part but I expect Auggie to rotate several players in the two matches.

great stuff from CHS Soccer
    http://www.chssoccer.net/here-we-go-battery-head-north/

From the Battery front office
    http://charlestonbattery.com/news/battery-heads-to-harrisburg-and-dayton/

Watch party tonight at Molly Darcy's on East Bay Street near the Market starts at 7pm. They treated us right fro the first match with four big screen TVs and great service.

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Hey Battery fans,

Good luck tonight, we have a thread going on the City Islanders forum if you want to check out news about your opposition. There are several injuries to Harrisburg players and a few other notes you might want to read. Cheers!

Mikey mouse repped this.
  3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder strike from Mike Azira in the 10th minute. Scores on a volley off of Wiltse's long cross from the sideline.

goindownsouth repped this.
  5. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handball in the box, so Nicki Patterson takes the PK and snakes it in off the post. 2-0 Battery and in the 41st minute Islanders score to make it 2-1.

6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Stupid yellow card by Morgan Langley will probably drum up some testiness. Harrisburg has carried a lot of possession but Charleston looks dangerous on nearly every counter. Should be interesting to see if McLaughlin, Touray, and others sub in to give a spark. Azira's goal was ridiculous, btw, what a volley!

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery wins 2-1, despite some questionable officiating going both ways, but all in all a clean game.

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hole in the net made me nervous. It looked at first that the ball didn't go in cause it rolled up the bank behind the goal. And the center ref didn't look like he called it a goal at first either. Not sure if he got help from the asst but that could have been a nightmare.

What a great start to the road trip. Onward to OHighO. Wonder if Brook will be there....how far is it from Cleveland to Dayton? Couple hundred miles?

9. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Congrats on the win, guys. Tough game to lose for Harrisburg considering how much possession they had, but your counter-attacks were so dangerous all night. If not for some terrific saves by Nick Noble, the Battery wins by a much larger scoreline. Harrisburg has to stop allowing former players from scoring against them. This season they allowed goals to three former players: Jose Angulo (Pittsburgh), Bilal Duckett (Rochester), and now Nicki Patterson. Anyway, safe travels and good luck!

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Great recap and nice website. It's always good to get different perspectives, I don't think we saw the game too differently, Charleston certainly earned the win and took Harrisburg out of their game, and I completely agree that the City Islanders weren't so good in the first half. I don't remember Falvey's non-goal being disputed too much last night by the Battery bench, offsides was called pretty clearly, but I do agree that the officiating was poor on both sides. I think some of the disjointedness of Harrisburg stemmed from missing several key starters (Ekra, Brandt, Anding, McLaughlin) and the team played much better with their second-half substitutes. That being said, the Battery proved why they're the defending champs and Harrisburg has much to learn from last night's game. One last thing, has there been a video of Azira's goal beyond the USL archive? I'd love to see that again as well as Hernandez's strike for HCI.

12. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I was going to miss the whole game. I was able to arrive at halftime even though I had some previous commitments. I missed all the good stuff but here are my photos and videos from the match. One video is a play your keeper made clearing the ball from the goalmouth. It was nice seeing Nicki on the island again plus he scored the PK goal. I thought the Battery played a hard fought, aggressive (but fair) match and they also played smart with the lead.
    http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2013/05/city_islanders_and_battery_mat.html

Mikey mouse repped this.
  13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyone have a video clip of that goal? Fantastic volley that one.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a clip but the archive is up on uslnation.com

17. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handball in Dayton's box in the 32nd minute, Nicky takes the PK and scores in the 33rd.

18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win 1-0, not too much to talk about, after this one. Except, the glare coming off of the plastic grass.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win 1-0 off a PK by Nicki Paterson. 6 points on a tough road trip is great. well done boys!

20. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Impressive roadtrip indeed, yielding only one goal in two away matches to earn the six points. You guys are definitely one of the teams I expect at the top of the table, although it's tough to get a read on the standings because of the unbalanced schedule. Seem teams have played three more games than others. That being said, Orlando, Charleston, Richmond all appear like legit contenders, I hope my City Islanders are but some of their rosters decisions are beyond their control so we'll see (Don Anding was already recalled by Philly for example). In any case, see you all in a few weeks for the rematch, cheers!

21. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States