Road Trip: Fire at Red Bulls

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by JeffGMc, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Any plans for a road trip to open the new stadium and watch NY blow another season opener?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Re: Fire at Red Bulls

There are a couple dozen people confirmed already and we'll be putting up tickets on the S8C store very soon, possibly tonight.

3. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Most excellent, I'll keep an eye out for them this weekend.

4. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Yes.

There's a growing sign up list of around 50 going so far on the S8C board.

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Oh, I'm already out here, I don't need a ride to the game, just a ticket that assures I'll be sitting with smart intelligent folks instead of looking over to see this guy in the seat next to me:

[​IMG]

6. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"uh, me so horny, uh, me so horny, uh, me so horny..me luv u long time..."

Even so, great chant...:D

7. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

... especially if he's one of those annoying people who falls asleep on your shoulder. Ouch.

8. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be heading there from Montreal, although, since my host is a NYRB fan, I will unfortunately not be seated in the visiting supporters section. But there will be support elsewhere in the stadium, let it be known.

9. karlosrey

karlosrey New Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Glendale Heights IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There will be a Fire bus to New York????

10. bunge

Oct 24, 2000

Not as of right now. It would cost at least $100 a person and the ride would be ~16 hours each way. Very long, very difficult, very stinky.

11. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my buddy recently got a job @ an airline... talk about an MLS'ers dream. anyways, we plan on being in new york. let's show em how real supporters bring some atmosphere to that beautiful arena

12. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

For those not able to fly, Enterprise has 1/2 off weekends through May. While a bus would add on some time, you could do the drive in under 13 hours with a little luck. With 3 or 4 people, it's really pretty doable/affordable.

13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  14. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

Air fares for that weekend are very reasonable at the moment.

15. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn

I'll be at the game, and I'll be bringing about a dozen non-MLS fans with me. If Red Bull Arena is as cool as it seems, and the opening is as much fun as the NYRB ticket reps are making it out to be, this is probably my one chance to get people interested in MLS.

I probably won't be sitting in the S8 seats because I'm getting a partial season ticket package, and the seats won't be there.

However, I'll be around that weekend to hang out and all that. And I will probably have space to crash at my loft if needed.

16. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My wife and I are in We need two, possibly more

17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

More importantly, what are you going to wear?

18. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn

[​IMG]

19. chicagocutie

chicagocutie New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Chicago

Hello! I am going to be in Hartford Connecticut the weekend of the Fire v Red Bulls game.... Does anyone know how easy/hard it would be to get to the game??? Is there public transportation or would I have to rent a car?? How far are we talking??

Thanks!

20. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn

There's a bit of difficulty involved, but it can be done. Amtrak goes from Hartford to New York City/Penn Station for about $26. Trip takes about two and a half hours. There are cheaper busses that run between the two cities as well, though I don't know much about them. The PATH train takes you from New York, about 100 yards or so from Red Bull Arena. You can pick it up right at Penn Station, though it requires a transfer to get out to Harrison, where the game is. It costs like a buck or two.

All told, I'd say about four hours of travel time, which includes time to transfer and figure things out. If you give yourself time, you should be able to make it without too much difficulty.

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis

^^^
    If you didn't want to monkey around with New York Penn Station on the way down, you could take Amtrak direct to Newark from Hartford (also $26, 3 3/4 hours); Newark Penn Station is the stop immediately after New York Penn Station on Amtrak trains that run between Boston and Washington DC.

From Newark Penn Station, you could either walk to RB Arena (about 1/2 mile) or take the PATH Subway train from Penn Station to Harrison (1 stop): http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

My guess is that there aren't a lot of trains back to Hartford after about 11 p.m., either from Newark or New York, so you might get stuck in one of those places overnight. If given a choice, I would head back to New York City for the evening and catch a Sunday train. More fun, safer, more train options for the next day.

22. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Proposed Saturday Itinerary

4:00 Meet at Biddy Early's for pre-game drinks and food. http://www.yelp.com/biz/biddy-earlys-new-york
    5:15 Take PATH from NYC WTC to Harrison
    5:45 Arrive Harrison. Walk to stadium, check out pre-game festivities
    7:00 Meet outside Gate C to walk into Arena
    7:30 Game begins
    7:31 Witness the destruction of the Red Bulls