RIVER PLATE PR and PAQUIT MONTANER STADIUM

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by santeroatomico, Sep 4, 2007.

1. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    I went to PR for the labor day weekend. My plan was to spend the whole weekend at the beach but an unfortunate oil spill prevented me form doing so.
    So I decided to check the Paquito Montaner and the River Plate PR.
    Despite having to paly on carpet (field turf) Paquito Montaner does make a pretty good soccer stadium. Unlike most baseball stadium the Paquito stands are placed in an almost perfect L formation. No bad seats. There is even a press box on the side with perfect view of the whole field. Because of baseball the field was placed passed third base and some stands are too far from the pitch but is easily fixe by getting rid of the pitchers mount.
    The game itself was very entertaining. By the time I left RPPR was beatin Fluminense 4-0. I left after the RPPR scored a goal after a rebound from his own penalty kick. There were between 100-200 ppl in the game. I was wearing my Houston Dynamo jersey, (My sister was wearing a RSL jersey I gave her) and most ppl were looking at us like we were from out of space. They were confused as to what teams were RSL and Dynamo. I was good overall and I hope they do some marketing since the only sport in town is Basketball.

2. Lisel

Lisel New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    San Juan, PR
    This sounds like a good time. I'm a total soccer newbie. I've been to only a couple of Islanders games -- the last two -- and had a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to attending a playoff game. I've also seen a few MLS and U.S. Women's National Team games.

I find I really like the sport. So I'm curious about this River Plate team. Could you give me more information or point me to a website? When and who do they play? I'm originally from New York (wish I could see more Red Bulls games on TV) so I don't even know where this Paquito Montaner Stadium is.

Thanks for the info. :)

3. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    http://www.riverpr.com

El Paquito Montaner is in Ponce, PR. It is pretty easy to get to.
    River PR is know playing in the Liga Premier de PR where the Islanders have a reserve team.

RBNY are having a geat year. too bad Reyna is not working out but JP Angel and Altidore are kicking A$$

4. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    PHOTOS!!!!!! Please if any of you guys on the Island could take some photos at games and post them I would be eternally grateful! I would love to see the Montaner during a soccer match and if anyone could post pics of the supporters at the loubriel, that would be fantastic!

And if anyone could send a brotha some bacalaitos, morcillas, mofongos, con una Medallita.... I would love you for life! HA HA HAAAA!!!

On the serious tip, I miss the island, I can't afford to take my family there every year so if someone could post some pics, specially of some Puerto Rican women at the games :D that would be great!!!!!

Arriba Puerto Rico!!!!

5. Lisel

Lisel New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    San Juan, PR
    Well, my digital camera isn't that great and I'm a Puerto Rican gal myself, but I'll see about taking pictures my next time at the JRL. ;)

P.S. The River PR site seems to be down. :( Anyone know if there's a game this weekend?

6. Kirby_Z

Kirby_Z New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Hi all, Im new to the forums and Im very glad to see the islanders go to the playoffs :)

[​IMG]

7. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Do you work for RPPR?
    Ask them when they are going to sell jerseys.

8. Kirby_Z

Kirby_Z New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Haha, I don't work for them I just wanted to post some pics. My older brother used to play for the islanders years ago before they became what they are now. I don't know if its the same team as now but he was a goalie.