River Plate: El MAS GRANDE de la HISTORIA (Match Thread / General Discussion)

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jan 19, 2019.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First game in 6 months! Vamoooosss milloooooooo!!

Looking at the bench today in Brazil, it is quite evident that we're desperately lacking depth in our squad:

Enrique Bologna, Robert Rojas, Paulo Díaz, Jorge Moreira, Leonardo Ponzio, 5-Bruno Zuculini, Cristian Ferreira, Jorge Carrascal, Federico Girotti, Lucas Beltrán​

Other than Rojas, none of those players could be a starter... Carrascal, depending on how he's been training over this gameless period may be another option, but other than that it's a mix of mediocre players, youngsters, and an ancient Ponzio. We're really going to be missing having the quality of players like Scocco and Quintero on the bench when things get heated.

With that said, it's a joy to have football back.. hopefully all goes well vs the brazucas, but I'm just glad to get to see the ball rolling once again.

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nico De La Cruz has been called-up to the Uruguayan NT for the first round of the 2022 WCQ (vs Chile and Ecuador)... First international cap for Carlos Sanchez's brother, who had already represented his country at U-17, U-18, and U-20 levels.

As for other players, Rojas has been called-up for Paraguay, Paulo Diaz will be joining up with the Chilean NT, and Montiel, Martinez Quarta, and Armani will represent Argentina.

4. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I forgot how garbage Binacional was from earlier in the year.

locoxriver repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, Santi Sosa came in and is doing his thing! Another useful rotational option to keep in mind..

Ron Mexico repped this.
  7. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah. Nacho had a rough night before he got taken out. Hopefully he’s ok. But that second half performance was night and day from the team.

Good to finish top of the group. :thumbsup:

locoxriver repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

We got Paranaense in the Copa... last time we faced them, we had a good time with a 3-0 win to clinch the 2019 Recopa title.

Despite this re-encounter being just one year later, the Brazilians have a pretty different side from last time around. Of the 11 starters that played the return leg in the Monumental, only 5 remain at the club: Marco Ruben’s loan ended (thank god, the bastard always scores on us), Renan Lodi is now at Atletico Madrid, CB Leo Pereira moved to Flamengo, Bruno Guimaraes Moura is in Lyon, Rony left to Palmeiras, and Paulo Andre retired.. They are also managed by a different coach.

Lucho Gonzalez is still there, but is a sub for the most part as he approaches 40 (he did, however, start the last few Libertadores games).

Between all competitions, the Brazilians are currently on a 7-game winless streak (4 losses, 3 draws). In the Brasileirao, Atletico Paranaense seems to be struggling, lying in 17th place with just 4 wins in 16 games played. They are also the team with the least goals in the Brazilian first division (12 so far).

In terms of the Libertadores, Paranaense led their group throughout most of the phase until the last round, when a late 3-2 loss to Peñarol forced them to resign their first place spot to Jorge Wilstermann on goal difference. Overall they finished this round with 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw -- including a decisive 3-2 win away in the altitude vs. Wilstermann.

We'll have to wait some time for this match, however, as the Round of 16 is scheduled to be played after the next round of WCQs.... the first leg will be played on Nov. 25th in Brazil, while the return leg will be a week later (Dec. 2nd).

As for Boca, the only way we can get a Libertadores Superclasico is in the final... They’d have to get through the likes of Internacional and likely Flamengo, Santos/LDU, and Gremio first though... not easy.

VAMOS MILLO! Por otra copa, campeon!

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can’t believe we payed nearly $5M for Paulo Diaz.. I don’t recall him having a single good game since arriving at the club, but I do remember several abysmal performances such as the one he gave tonight

Pinola is also on the decline — age is finally catching up with the guy. Still a solid player, but he has gotten visibily slower over the course of the last year and is no longer that temerous defensive force he used to be.

Tbh this CB duo raises some concerns for our Libertadores aspirations. I’m hoping Gallardo incorporates Rojas into the starting line-up ASAP, but either way we should heavily consider bringing in a new CB in the next transfer window.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nacional (URU) just beat Independiente del Valle on penalties after tieing both matches of the series 0-0, so we’ll be traveling to Montevideo for the quarterfinals of the copa...

The Ecuadorians have been in poor form in league play as of late (2 points above last; 6 losses in the last 8 matches), but either way it’s a relief to not have to travel to the hell that is the high altitude... We already struggled vs IdV in 2016, and this year they even managed to beat Flamengo 5-0 at home :confused:

From what I saw in today’s game, Nacional were really poor and were actually outperformed by the Ecuadorians in their own home. However their track record isn’t bad on paper: 15/18 points in the group stage; only 3 goals conceded in 8 copa matches..... in their local tournament, they lead their zone (the Uruguayan league is currently divided into 2 groups) and also finished at the top of the Apertura earlier this year. Plus, they have Bergessio, who always gives us a hard time.

I don’t know if many remember, but we actually faced Nacional earier this year in a match that finished 4-4... if I recall correctly, they were up 3-1 at one point, but River managed to salvage a draw towards the end. Hopefully these next two matches go smoother, but I feel this is an accessible series

Ron Mexico repped this.
  12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Feliz dia chicos!

[​IMG]

Q.E.P.D boquita juniors

megamac20817 and balazsriver10 repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Great 2-0 result after a pretty meh first half. Didn’t think Bruno was onside but I’ll take it!!

Unrelated, what the hell was up with Montiel’s left eye? I heard that is one of the symptoms for COVID or just pink eye. Unless I missed a hit he received.

locoxriver repped this.
  15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was the TV camera angle that made it seem like a possible offside, but when you see it from the sideline you can see it was a legal goal since Zucu was behind the ball when Suarez gave the cross

1196E870-5B57-427A-8AA1-ABE8F1C00DFD.jpeg

:thumbsup:

That ref was trash though... I lost count of the amount of errors he made throughout the game. That first penalty he gave us was bullshit, and I’m actually glad Borre missed it.

Speaking of missed PKs, Borre has missed the last three he has taken, and River as a team have missed 7 of the last 8 :speechless:

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paulo Diaz is ********ing terrible

Ron Mexico repped this.
  17. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Sad, but true :/

18. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hated that damn superclasico. I literally can't remember the last domestic league match against the former club that hasn't been marred from beginning to end by a scandalously bad ref. Campazzo should have been sent off for a straight elbow to the throat, Buffarini should have been sent off early in the second half for persistent fouling, and Boca was allowed to cut every River attack with as much violence as they wanted or needed.

I can't wait for the sadly far-off day when Tapia is no longer in charge of AFA and the mobsters running our football are finally run out of town. What they've done to the league is unforgivable.

locoxriver and Ron Mexico repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, but don’t forget — RiVAR, te AyUdAn LoS ArBitRoS y DoMinGuEz!!! :rolleyes:

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also, we had “el quebrador del pueblo” trying his very best to break Nacho Fernandez’s legs in the last play of the game:

[​IMG]

Bunch of ********ing filthy animals...

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    megamac20817 repped this.
  22. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just watched a replay of the match finally. Even when they were up by 1-0 Boquita played their typical Thuggish Ruggish tactics.

“¡Pero tienen mucho garra!” :rolleyes:

That Girotti headerl was nice. Happy for the kid!!

locoxriver and megamac20817 repped this.
  23. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tevez is a monster; correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that clear attempt to injure Nacho Fernández before his assist?

Very happy for Girotti's goal, that sort of header while on his knees is the sort of finish that we haven't seen many River strikers pull off in recent years.

locoxriver and Ron Mexico repped this.
  24. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well at least Boquita is not only NOT making the final but they didn’t even put up a decent fight.

Embarrassing.

locoxriver repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River clearly the best of the final four. Damn shame VAR wanted to be the star of the show last night.

Proud of our boys though, they showed the world what this club’s all about