River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I must admit I didn't enjoy the match one bit as it unfolded yesterday... pure torture all the way until Pity's final goal that sealed the deal. Just then was I finally able to breathe....

Now I can finally sit back and enjoy the whole thing. It's a whole different feeling re-watching it after all is said and done:

To be honest, I didn't even realize just how much of a golazo all three goals were until after the match.. the second goal with Quintero's perfect shot speaks for itself, but the passing on the first goal was magical (beautiful back heel from Palacios, btw) and what a magnificent backheel flick by Juan Fer to pass the Boca player before serving Pity the third goal. Pinola was running like a mad man in that last play too hahaha

Que grande River! No solo campeon, pero tratando bien a la pelota.

RIVER >>>>

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Obviously, the main goal is the Libertadores, but I am actually looking forward to this Club World Cup.

The last time, we suffered so much with the Japanese team, and I felt like we couldn't really enjoy the CWC. I think because its our second time in four years we can actually enjoy this one, whatever happens happens. It doesn't matter if we lose even in the semi, whereas four years ago you could tell how nervous we were in that Semi. This time I think we can be lose and maybe go for a real goleada.

Then of course we have Real Madrid in the Final, but we saw them struggle last year, and this team is not the same without Ronaldo. Of course they have Modric, Bale, Benzema, etc. but honestly without Ronaldo to be the main goal threat its doable.

Again, there can be no fear on our part, if we lost we lost i don't care, we just should go to enjoy and maybe if we have an on day and they're a bit off, we can win it. No reason not to be optimistic, but considering we just beat Boca in the Final, we have nothing to fear

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    also rafa

megamac20817 repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All finals are difficult to watch when your team is involved. If they end up losing, you want to hide under a rock and avoid any type of report, media, and television analysis. Unfortunately, and pardon me for bringing up the seleccion, but since the 04 CA, I’ve never really gone back and rewatched the finals we’ve been in. In honesty, the only match over the years I’ve rewatched was our R16 v England in France. A match I watch at least once a year. It was one of greatest World Cup matches in history. But I will be hard pressed to watch our next match v the Dutch, the misery of that match still lingers with me till this day.

But when your team does end up winning, you can rewatch the match the100x and you analyze every single detail with joy because you know the result. Hell, for me, over the last few years I’ve gone and rewatched Federer win Slams after the final, especially that AO v Nadal.

At the end of day, sports become a part of us, we spend so much of our time invested that we have to express our emotions through jubilation or misery.

Best of luck at the CWC.

Ron Mexico and megamac20817 repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Montiel on Benedetto:

“Me mostraron el video cuando terminó el partido. La verdad que fue un gesto feo, pero ahora nosotros nos tenemos que dedicar a festejar”, dice Cachete con su habitual mesura y alejado de las declaraciones ruidosas. Es más, ni siquiera quiere desquitarse con una irónica dedicatoria del título: “No, no, eso no. Yo se los dedico a mi familia, a mis padres que vinieron a acompañarme, al equipo y al cuerpo técnico”.

Diferencias que matan....

Ron Mexico, pepinointer and RiverGaucho repped this.
  7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ron Mexico repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    #760 balazsriver10, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    I'm writing here just now because I was drunk til Sunday :) It was an unforgettable night and match ,they are heros and they wrote history!

I am so proud and glad to be a River fan and a member of this wonderful family!

It is also wonderful that a lot of hungarian media, friend and people was so interested of the final and looked for me to know everything what is important to know about these two teams.

Lot of my friends (25-30 guy) are River fanatic after Sunday :)

¡River es Mundial! ¡El m4s Grande de América!

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The day after the final

RiverGaucho repped this.
  12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    vos fuiste al tas vos apelaste sin escritorio boca no te la bancaste

This is the same girl her made this song:

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just imagine if we were in the scenario we were in (without Scocco and Borre in the final) with the 2017 squad.... that means Auzqui would have likely started and history would have been completely different. :eek:

So glad we got rid of the muertos... if we were still alternating the likes of perro, Rossi, Larrondo, Domingo, Arzura, Bertolo, Solari, etc. we would have probably been eliminated before quarterfinals. The only remaining OG muerto is Casco, but he ended up having a hell of a end to the season.

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like we got a rival... after flipping a 0-3 scoreline in the previous round, Al Ain pulls another surprise by eliminating favorites Esperance ST in quarterfinals.

We'll be playing the Arab side in their home ground in what will be the biggest game in their club's history.

Upon first impression, the player to watch out for Marcus Berg. The Swede has 35 goals in 32 games since joining Al Ain in 2017, and has previously also had successful campaigns in Sweden, the Netherlands, and Greece. He is a part of the Sweden NT, having participated in the 2018 World Cup for them earlier this year and scoring an international goal as recently as a month ago (UEFA Nations League). He has finished as the top scorer of 5 different tournament in his career and has multiple individual distinctions, including taking home the Golden Boot and Player of the Tournament awards in the U-21 European Championships.

Other than that, 24-year-old Brazilian Caio appears to be their main threat. Hussein El Shahat, an Egyptian international, also showed his technique with a nice goal today (2-0; minute 2:23 in video below).

On the other side of the bracket there was also a surprise as Chivas were eliminated by the Kashima Antlers. The Japanese side previously gave Real Madrid a hard time in 2016, so lets see how they do this time around.

Ron Mexico, RiverGaucho and megamac20817 repped this.
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I watched both of Sweden's knockout games in the World Cup, the round of 16 game against the Swiss and the QFs against England, and I have to say that Berg was horrible. I remember him specifically. Had they had just a halfway decent striker, they would have routed the Swiss (they won only 1-0) and probably beaten England who was not that good.

So if Berg is their big star, I think it fits into our hands...

That being said, we struggled so much in the semi four years ago. These teams are going to be motivated. For them to play River is like us playing Real Madrid or Barcelona... Its a chance to prove themselves against the best.

What sort of a team would you guys put out?

After two Libertadores and defeating Boca in 4 straight knock out ties, no one can question El Muñeco now, but what line up would you guys like to see...

When we actually analyze the final, River was very poor in the first half. The game changed with the inclusions of Quintero and Mayada. Did these two players do enough to get in the line up? What about Borre? Does he return from suspension?

I'd honestly leave Quintero out, as painful as it is to say. He has proven that he is a game changer when he comes off the bench and struggles when he starts. Its not conditioning. His golazo came after 52 minutes on the pitch and his assist came in the dying moments.

I do however think Mayada has done enough to earn his spot, especially in a game when River will see most of the ball. Montiel has been so poor that I don't want to see him in there anymore... We need a RB who can make a difference in the attacking part of the pitch.

Armani; Mayada, Pinola, Maidana, Casco; Ponzio, Palacios, Nacho F; Pity; Borre, Pratto

That would be my team. It would pain me to take out Enzo who was too good in the second half and extra time, but we need to remember how poor we were in the first half and we need to have Borre, who was so key before his suspension, while I think Enzo has been poor for a while, the extra motivation of playing the Bosteros made the difference.

Ron Mexico, locoxriver and megamac20817 repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, if we were playing Real Madrid maybe we’d need Montiel in there to provide extra defensive coverage, but against Al Ain I think Mayada should be able to get the job done.

The other question is Borre or Scocco? The Colombian obviously has the advantage, given his great form and the fact that Nacho is barely returning from his injury, but they’re both such great players that you could make the argument for either of them to start

Ron Mexico repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dejo esto por aca....
    1 River Plate Argentina 34 4 339 167 87 85 561 361 +200 588
    2 Nacional Uruguay 45 3 377 159 103 115 535 413 +122 580
    3 Peñarol Uruguay 45 5 351 156 77 118 531 431 +100 545
    4 Boca Juniors Argentina 26 6 266 140 64 62 412 242 +170 484
    5 Olimpia Paraguay 39 3 292 116 83 93 419 365 +54 431
    6 Cerro Porteño Paraguay 39 0 289 102 85 102 379 384 -5 391
    7 América de Cali Colombia 19 0 196 89 55 52 287 211 +76 322
    8 Colo-Colo Chile 32 1 225 90 52 83 326 314 +12 322
    9 Bolívar Bolivia 31 0 223 88 50 85 328 337 -9 314
    10 São Paulo Brasil 18 3 181 90 42 49 280 172 +108 312

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

We have the potential to have 6 matches against Brazilian teams in the first half of 2019: 2 Recopa games vs. Atletico Paranaense and 2 Libertadores group games vs Internacional are guaranteed, but we could have an additional 2 vs. Sao Paulo if they make it past the preliminary stage

RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our defense has been a complete nightmare so far, not just from dead balls. The first goal, which was a defensive shambles, no credit to them at all as I think the goal is actually off Pinola, only happens because Maidana gets completely beaten for pace and he bring the player down.

Really need to improve here. The last few minutes of the half were horrible.

Props to Borre who had two cool finishes.

I think our defense can't be fixed today, not even bringing in Quarta to play a back five.

Our best defense is to score more goals. Sometimes you just have these games where its hectic and back and forth, and this is one of them.

I'd bring in Quintero to get him on the ball and slow the game down a bit.

I'd also bring in Mayada for Montiel. I know this is an offensive move in a game where our team is horrible at the back, but i Don't think Montiel really provides any defensive solidity. Mayada has always completed his role well when he's had to play RB. And of course he actually adds to the offensive part of the game.

VAMOS RIVER CARAJO HAY QUE GANAR SI O SI

locoxriver repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’d bring in Scocco for Pratto. Lucas is playing poorly, and Nacho has the right characteristics to face these guys.

Quintero for Fernandez is a must also

RiverGaucho repped this.
  21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That save from Borre's header was just outrageous. Truly remarkable save

locoxriver repped this.
  22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    good god.... this is almost as bad the boca match. Now the missed pen... my heart can't handle this

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perhaps it is an emotional dump from the final. They don’t seem up for it.

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was an absolutely DIRE second half.

The defense is terrible

Our attackers looked like they thought there was 1 minute on the clock the final 20 minutes. Everything so rushed and pressured. Horrible.

What can be said about the penalty? Awful.

This is just great. Another 30 minutes.... De La Cruz if you ever wanted to prove River was right to pay that absurd transfer fee and go through that saga for you, today is the day. Come on pibe show us something. Just be half of what your brother was for us.

Vamooss

25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They were playing well the first half, the problem is Pinola and Maidana are just slow. These guy know this and are taking advantage by running at them.

If Pity makes the penalty or their goalie doesn't pull of two stunning saves from Borre, River would have won.

Scocco on now, Pity off. Vamos Nacho carajo