Post-match: RIVALRY ALERT - The Dark Days - MLS MATCHDAY 9 CREW VS MAIN ENEMY (DC UNITED) SAT APRIL 30 730PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Apr 25, 2022.

?

RESULT

Poll closed Apr 30, 2022.
  1. CREW WIN BY 2 OR MORE AKA CALEB PORTER MASTER CLASS

8.7%
  2. CREW WIN BY 1

17.4%
  3. DRAW (CANADIAN TIE)

15.2%
  4. CREW LOSE BY 1

39.1%
  5. CREW LOSE BY 2 OR MORE AKA COACHBOT9000 DISASTER CLASS

8.7%
  6. Baby dont hurt me no more - Kryptonite

4.3%
  7. A Crew Hope - Crew score 3 or more goals and win - worth 3 points

6.5%
  1. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A GREAT SADNESS HAS SPREAD AMONGST THE CITIZENS. IN A HEROIC ATTEMPT TO INSPIRE THE HEROES TO VICTORY, JAZZ ZY WAS KILLED. IT WAS A SHOCKING MOMENT, ONE WHICH OUR YELLOW CLAD HEROES WERE SO TAKEN ABACK BY, THEIR MOMENTUM STALLED AND THEY WERE HELD TO STALEMATE BY THE STRANGE MAGIC USERS.

VICTORY HAS DESERTED THE HEROES. THE LEADER OF OUR HEROES NOW WISHES HE WAS A ROBOT AGAIN, SO DEEP IS HIS PAIN. THE CITIZENS HARE LOSING FAITH RAPIDLY. IT SEEMS THAT DREAMS OF GLORY HAVE FADED INTO MEMORY, LEAVING JUST MEMORIES OF OLD.

PERHAPS THAT CAN ALL CHANGE, AS THE MOST ANCIENT OF FOES, A RED CLAD BAND OF SWAMP CREATURES FROM NEAR THE NATIONS CAPITAL MARCH INTO THE FORTRESS OF OUR HEROES. CAN OUR CREW TURN EVERYTHING AROUND IN THEIR DARKEST HOUR YET?

Jaybir, chr1st, Ch(Elsey) and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    We suck unless Owen Gol strikes again we are doomed

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  4. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    They are doing another parade on the pitch for this week's game.

5. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A parade of pink slips, perhaps?

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring some kind of ridiculous development in this game, like an unjust 3rd minute red card or something... I will be officially calling for Porter's head if we lose this match.

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if we have the most pathetic, luckiest 1-0 win ever, where Bill Hamid pulls an Eloy Room and throws the ball into his own net? Does that mean Porter is our unquestioned coach through 2023?

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Giving a pass on the past several years of play, and more specifically the last season plus, if we manage a win....at home....against a team that just fired their manager...who finished level on points with us last season....and is level on points with us this season....

Man, you drive a hard bargain.

Who says Mendoza was wrong?

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I say that?

stanger repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering why this specific loss would push you over the edge.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm there, too.

Hard to ignore winless in what, 5? With no goals scored?

While you can blame some of it on inept finishing, those kinds of streaks indicate a flaw in preparation and/or game plan, continuously.

12. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im there as well. if we dont score and lose again, there simply isnt any way porter should be the coach sunday afternoon

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This was shared April 17. We've lost since then....

With Porter, the losing streaks aren't a bug. They are a feature. Click to expand, view the whole list, and see Porter in all his glory.

djtrinidad repped this.
  14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that. There were somewhat rational opinions on why the 2019 and 2021 streaks happened that were certainly valid at the time but aren't the case with the current issues.

While hindsight is certainly 2020, I am not one to throw a coach under the bus before he has even coached a game. Although since you are a twitter user, I did have numerous conversations with Dom Tiberi over specific questions I wanted him to ask Porter last year and he refused.

While it may be obvious, I am not a fan of a coach or player, I am a fan of the team. Changes need to be made, I don't know how anyone would disagree with that at this point.

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let me count the ways.

• Another home loss to our (arguably) arch-rival, who are equally terrible.
    • We would be winless in six matches.
    • It would be three consecutive home losses. If you’re going to be shit on the road, you have to win home games. We’re not.
    • Last season, IMO, went permanently off the rails with two bad home losses in one week, one of them to DC United. This season already feels like it’s teetering, and this would confirm it.
    I’ve already lost faith in Caleb Porter. I just don’t like calling for the trigger to be pulled until it becomes absolutely clear that there’s no choice. As our resident curmudgeon is probably pointing out somewhere, this is a parity league. So unlike him, I recognize losing/winless streaks happen. But the combination of having two wins in our first nine, four losses in six and three straight at home is a perfect storm of suck.

I fully admit to usually being way more forgiving than most fans in that regard, but it’s also why my track record of predicting firings is pretty accurate. Also, most owners want to avoid the impression that they panic easily; that’s why the fans usually want firings before they do. Let’s be real: if we WIN this match, we’re 3-3-3. The definition of a .500 team in a parity league where a lot of teams make the playoffs. That’s reason enough for them to punt the timebomb downfield, rightly or wrongly.

I don’t call for firings unless the case for it is more or less indisputable. That’s a hard line for me to cross. This loss would be the moment that pushes me over the line. Once I cross that line, I need indisputable evidence to change my mind back.

stanger repped this.
  16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get all that, but say we win this game, then continue along the same path as the past year and change, that’s not acceptable either.

For me, I’ve already decided I want the divorce so I’m just gonna sit down and have the talk, as opposed to waiting for the next miserable fight to say it then. I don’t understand waiting because nothing is gonna change between now and then, so why drag it out?

17. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Kryptonite, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    From the email:

New this match, the Pub opens at 4:24 p.m. (...that's 96 minutes prior to kick ;) ) for fans with tickets to the match! Enjoy a 96-minute happy hour before gates open that includes: $5 draft domestic and craft beers, $5 BBQ Pulled Turkey Sando w/ Tobacco Onions, and $3 hot dogs!

Now hold on just one second. The game is at 7:30, right? If the happy hour starts at 4:24, how is that 96 minutes before 7:30? I'm *guessing* they meant 96 minutes before gates opening. Do they really want people there with tickets scanned three hours before kickoff?

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What are Tobacco Onions?

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fried onion rings

POdinCowtown repped this.
  20. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crewster Point standings updated through the weekend:

EAST

Montreal 5
    Philadelphia 2
    NYRB 2
    Orlando -1
    Atlanta -1
    Toronto -1
    Chicago -2
    NYC -2
    Charlotte -2
    Columbus -3
    Cincinnati -5
    New England -5
    Miami -5
    DC -6

WEST

Nashville 11
    LAFC 7
    LA Galaxy 4
    Salt Lake 4
    Austin 2
    Dallas 0
    Minnesota -1
    Seattle -2
    Colorado -3
    Houston -3
    Portland -4
    Kansas City -5
    Vancouver -5
    San Jose -9

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shoulda signed Kei Kamara....

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’d continue the same path. For another week.

Think of Porter as a death row inmate whose execution is imminent. A win this weekend is a temporary stay of execution. It doesn’t get him a completely new trial, and it sure as hell doesn’t get him out of jail. Not for me.

Now: What’s the office thinking? Hell if I know.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you’re 100% intent on firing him, why wait? What does one useless win mean when the greater body of work is evident?

I think we both agree he needs to go, I just don’t think it serves a purpose to keep a coach around when it seems like everyone is just waiting for him to be fired. Doesn’t seem like a healthy environment.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I'm NOT 100% intent on it. I'm strongly leaning in that direction, but since he's going to be the coach this weekend, a win is going to make me want to fire him LESS, not more. Not enough to let him off the hook, but enough to wonder if a firing might be premature.

Plus, I'm not just expressing personal feelings here -- I'm trying to factor a prediction on what WILL happen into this as well. The people making the decision could have pulled the trigger already. They haven't. So if they're not convinced enough to do it yet, they're not going to fire him after a win. A win which, as I pointed out before, would bring us back to .500.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A win against a non-playoff team on the road doesn’t erase 4 straight league games without a goal and losing to a second division team. Thats me though.