Rivaldo is released from his contract - where does he go?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Kobranzilla, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He expressed interest in Real. that would be great, as he is the last thing Real Madrid need (hint rhymes with "Lefense").

As much as I would love to see him back at Barca, I don't see that happening.

Does he come to La liga? England? stay in Italy? Ajax?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1050438,00.html

Rivaldo leaves Milan

Staff and agencies
    Friday September 26, 2003

Taxi!

Rivaldo's unsuccessful spell at AC Milan came to an end today when the European champions agreed to terminate the Brazilian World Cup winner's contract following a request from the player.
    Rivaldo joined the Rossoneri in the summer of last year from Barcelona on a free transfer after several other suitors were put off by his wage demands. His contract was due to run until July 2005.

But his first season at the San Siro saw him make just 22 league appearances, scoring five goals. He was a peripheral figure as Carlo Ancelotti's side claimed the Champions League trophy with a penalty shoot-out win against Juventus at Old Trafford.

The 31-year-old has not played for Milan this season and the club's willingness to remove him from the wage bill as well as Rivaldo's desire to get his career back on track prompted the decision.

Earlier this week he spoke of his frustration at a lack of first team opportunities. "What I am going through is humiliating," Rivaldo told Sao Paulo newspaper O Jornal da Tarde.

"At the right moment, I will say why the coach isn't allowing me to play. Now is not the time, but I can say it's not a technical, physical or psychological problem."

The talented frontman moved to Europe in August 1996 to join Deportivo La Coruna and then secured a lucrative transfer to Barcelona in 1997.

He claimed the World Player of the Year award in 1999 as well as the European Player of the Year crown before making the move to Italy.

He has recently been linked with moves to Ajax and Real Madrid where countryman Ronaldo has spoken of his desire to link up with his international colleague.

Milan's vice-president Adriano Galliani confirmed the move on the club's official website, www.acmilan.it.

"The mutual agreement to end the player's (Rivaldo) contract takes affect immediately and has been done with absolute calmness and in an amicable manner," he said.

Rivaldo is expected to give a press conference this afternoon.

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can't imagine Real actually thinking he has a place. They had a tough enough time finding a spot for Beckham until Makelele left. It's a good thing to get a lot of talent on a team, but if Rivaldo just ends up riding the pine again, what's the use?

Would Barca want him back? Now that Van Gaal is gone, why not? Otherwise, I'm not sure there are many other teams in Spain that can afford him and need him. Valencia - Aimar, Depor - Valeron, Celta - Mostovoi, La Real - maybe...., Atletico - spent too much already this off-season. I'm not sure Sevilla or Betis could afford him, and outside of those teams, there aren't any others in La Liga with enough money to pay Rivaldo what he is worth.

I'd love to see him back in Spain, but I don't know how he's going to get there.

3. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    LA Times yesterday reported Rivaldo want to play with Real Madrid and reunion with old friends, Ronaldo and Roberto.

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non...........Eeeeeeeeeeee.......Yooooooooooooooouu

5. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    I bet he ends up at Chelsea

6. Fuerza River

Fuerza River New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    CAMPEON DEL MUNDO
    I can see him in England but not for Chelsea. As far as spain is concerned I would think Barca is possible but that Espanyol would be a better fit. Who knows, maybe he'll go to Qatar!

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you all rate the player? I think he is fantastic offensive midfielder, but he doesn't play much defense, does he?

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My question: Which league signing period is still opened????

10. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this wouldnt be a transfer isnt he free to sign wherever he wants? If this were a transfer, he would have to wait until the January window.

11. Fuerza River

Fuerza River New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    CAMPEON DEL MUNDO
    I think your right. He should be able to sign with anyone because it's a free transfer. Who knows though?

12. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Should probably go to a mid/bottom EPL club (dare I suggest Wolverhampton/Leeds - can stink up the joint along with fellow compat. Roque Jr).

Or a mid/bottom Serie A club.

I think Rivaldo at Chelsea would be a bad idea as he will certainly be relegated to the bench. Remember, he felt, "humiliated" by Milan and Ancelotti because he was benched.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Let's hope! :)

If I understand correctly, Rivaldo and Milan canceled their contract so I don't believe he's restricted to a transfer window since he's out of contract.

But that raises an interesting possiblity. With the transfer market in the tubes and teams desperate to offload players they probably couldn't really afford when they signed them, will we see more of this happening?

14. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    last time I checked he was doing paperwork to obtain spanish citizenship (I think his son was born in Spain) I think he will be a spanish citizen by December.