Rivaldo at Anfield??

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by MadridForLife, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I just saw this online a minute ago.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=172306&cpid=21

I am not really sure if we should go ahead and sign him, but it would make sense to play him in the same role Smicer played against ManU. He might take reduced wages and turn out with his Barca form or he could show Milan form. Right know I think Houllier has nothing to lose, b/c I think there is a good chance he will be gone after the season.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    This has been around for awhile...who knows?? I doubt it.

3. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    IMHO it's rubbish - as are most things that appear on PlanetFootball these days, don't forget that it's in joint ownership with Sky 'we make up news for our 24hr news channel' SportsNews and a load of FOOTBALL AGENTS.

4. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Rivaldo himself has said that he's in talks with Liverpool, so I think there is a fair possibility that he will sign. He could play as the central attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 or even partner Owen up front in a 4-1-3-2 until Baros returns. The problem is that he is used to having a VERY large salary and - after his experience in Milan - would probably want a guarantee of first team football.

If there is any truth to the rumors about Rosicky and Van der Vaart and one of them arrive at Anfield next season, Rivaldo would most likely be kept to second choice.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Getting VdV would be awesome, Rivaldo maybe not so much.

6. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Yes!

Even among the outrageously gifted crop of youngsters at Ajax, Van der Vaart is in a class of his own. He has unbelievable technique, can play anywhere on the field (in the middle, out wide, up front) and scores goals with astonishing regularity. In the 2001-2002 season, when he was just 18, he missed out on nearly the entire second half of the season with injury but still managed to finish team top scorer. This year he was made Ajax captain at the age of 20.

Check out the goals he scored last season:

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=4407/dbid=101/typeofpage=1823/nodb=true#

7. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I don/t think there is a club in Europe who wouldn't want Van der Vaart. He is amazing. He is part spanish and has stated he wants to play in Spain. I think we have a chance to get Rosicky, but I'm not sure. I think right now we better start winning b/c if we are not in the CL next year we are not gonna sign anyone in Van der Vaart's class.

8. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Van der Vaart never actually said he likes the Spanish league; he just wants play for Barcelona! Presumably this has something to do with the great Ajax tradition of sending their best graduates there. However, I think there is a good chance that Barcelona won't move for him because 1) their priority is to get a striker and 2) they already have Ronaldinho in the attacking midfield role. Liverpool would still have to fight off Sir Alex Ferguson's interest for his signature, but Harry Kewell snubbed Man United for Liverpool, didn't he? :)

9. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I stand corrected, Van der Vaart wanted to play for Barcelona.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Gabbage
    Liverpool would still have to fight off Sir Alex Ferguson's interest for his signature, but Harry Kewell snubbed Man United for Liverpool, didn't he?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is why I love the Aussie, He has his priorities in line!!