Risk to FMF re: Rafa Marquez Sanctions

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Jazzy Altidore, May 18, 2018.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States government has sanctioned Rafa Marquez. Typically, this not only punishes Rafa Marquez, but it makes it illegal for any entity that does business within the United States to also do business with Rafa Marquez. Obviously, FMF does a ton of business within the US, but it is now choosing to select Rafa for World Cup Qualifiers. By playing Rafa in games, they stand to earn revenue from his presence on the team. How does this note run afoul of US sanctions, so that FMF may be sanctioned as well? Asking for a friend.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Why are you bringing up WCQs now?
    2. Define the "sanction." Obviously if there is evidence to indict him, Marquez can be arrested if he comes in the USA, but I would think he wouldn't come in if he thought he would be arrested.
    3. Do you want the USA to not allow Mexico to play friendlies in the USA? I would think that SUM or some other American entity would want to profit from the Mexican national team and not want the government to intervene.
    4. Do you think Trump or most of Congress even knows what FMF stands for? This doesn't sound like something the government would get involved in. I think the government cares about preventing companies from doing business with terrorists and countries that kill their own people, which is much worse than what Marquez did.
    5. Considering the World Cup bid, it wouldn't be smart of the USA to antagonize FMF.

3. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    The Mexican FA just has to drop Marquez from any friendly played on US territory.

He can still train with his NT.

Source: https://the18.com/soccer-news/rafa-marquez-world-cup-training-gear

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that this was solved, I guess not.