RIP WUSA [NRC]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 15, 2003.

1. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
    I agreed with you until you mentioned France... why did you have to mention the French!?!?!?!?!

and hockey is the better winter sport.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was that line again from Austin Powers? Michael Caine is his father and he says "There are only two things I simply can not stand: 1) people who are intolernat of other cultures, and 2) The Swiss.
    :)
    You got that right!

Tom

3. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    It was "The Dutch."

4. Brazile

Brazile Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Arlington, MA, USA
    chacun a son gout

I must say, I'm enjoying the ambiguous (but accurate either way) title of this thread.

5. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont hate womens leagues, i just cant tolerate watching womens sports like basketball, hockey, golf, etc. its just too slow for me to watch.

i feel bad for those women, though, who have to go and find jobs instead of working at what they love. good luck to them.

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I've been to BC when the UConn women's BB team came to play and, though clearly not typical of most teams, it definitely proves that a mixed-gender, mixed-age audience CAN support a women's team in an incredible fashion.

They roll in busload after busload for every away game and they've been doing in for a long time, before winning national championships. The fanatacism for that team is probably at least the equal of any men's program!

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

The Breakers played double headers with the Revs twice, and each time the Breakers game was a better example of the way soccer should be played. Lacking testerone, the WUSA players seemed far more likely to actually try to dribble and pass (you know, what soccer players are supposed to do) than go chasing after aimless long balls. There was also less tactical fouling, diving, woofing and other misbehavior that makes any game uglier.

That being said, the screaming pre-pubescent brittney fans at Nickerson field made me glad I only went to 1 or 2 games a year there.

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I wish I could have seen that game! The ones I saw were filled with aimless passes, countless turnovers, lame clearances, botched sitters, and lots dribbling into more turnovers.

One thing, though, the gals never played the roll-in-agony-game when tackled. I really respected them for that -- the absence of cheap, calculated gamesmanship.

9. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, sounds just like an MLS game. ;)

I would like to note for the record (and in salute to a Metros fan coming over here and acting civil) that I saw 6 or 7 WUSA games live and 2 or 3 dozen on TV, but none of them ever even came close to the sheer eye hurting ugliness of a couple of Revs-Metros games I wish I could forget. The absolute worst was the final game the year that the Metros had fired that bug-eyed Spaniard and brought in Bora for the playoffs(98?). The Revs were long out of it and the game wasn't going to change the Metrostars playoff situation. I brought a couple of friends, and I apologized to them profusely afterwards.

10. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    If you are making a point about women's sports being too slow in comparison to men's, golf is not a great example to throw into the argument. I think women are just as capable as men of walking 400 yards while stopping to swing a club a few times all within 12 minutes.

11. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the military got the idea for using sound as a weapon by observing the torture caused by screaming Mia's. ;)

The trick was to buy the cheap seats (sorry, Joe) and sit up top so the sound was in front of you. The view was great and you kept your sanity.

Oh, BTW, be sure not to sit in front of any of the speakers up top. :)

Humour aside, I am a seven-year Rev season ticket holder. I also became an inaugural season ticket holder with the Breakers and would have re-upped for the fourth year. The 2003 season was the first one where I encountered major conflicts in physically supporting both teams. There were several match conflicts, plus Gold Cup and USOC collisions. I hope to see some of y'all at the WWC matches on the 27th and 1st.

Rather sad to see that the WUSA is getting more press in it's demise than it did while active.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know, but I just couldn't resist busting the Swissman's chops
    I remember that being a dreary, rain-soaked 0-0 draw, and we won the shootout (oh yay). Steve Nicol was our coach (should have kept him around) and I won a bet that I wouldn't dare ask Bora why he wasn't wearing a dashiki, like he was the last time we saw him (when he managed Nigeria in the WC). He was wearing a trench coat and flashed me like a pervert in the park. "Ah yes, my friend, suit and tie, you see?" I asked him a question about the game and he started babbling incoherently, sprinkled with many "my friend" references. Then a reporter from a Spanish-language paper asked him something in Spanish, and given the confused look on his face, I don't know how much sense he was making there either. You know the saying, Bora can speak nine languages, but none of them coherently.

Tom