RIP Grant Wahl

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Craig P, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree it’s unlikely brother.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible news. Very saddened by this.

3. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I don't know for sure, but as someone who has worked within Intelligence for damn near 28 yrs you look for the "gain". What would they gain by killing him. Now there's always the "crazy" , but government sponsored attacks usually have a reason, even if it's not one we agree with.

at this point in time, I see nothing that he reported on , did or said that was any different from hundreds of others over the past 2 years. Your country is in the spotlight and by all accounts the WC has gone along pretty well since the games started. Why would you bring massive attention by killing a reporter for the United States and risk bringing more negativity?

Lots of people have worn rainbow attire. Grant was stopped, held at the gates for 25 minutes, released then watched the game wearing the shirt and FIFA apologized to him.

What sucks is that instead of paying tribute to his dedication and life long pursuit it's turning into a foul play thing.

I think that's the most frustrating part.

now, could I be wrong? absolutely could! I'm just saying way too early too tell and the fact he's even written himself about sick and such, just don't know.

4. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I listened to his latest podcast. He thought he had bronchitis. Would not have suspected any serious condition listening to him. (Not that means anything just that this is stunning) so sorry for his family.

russ and Kirium repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 xbhaskarx, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    What the hell, this is crazy... just finished the Amazon documentary on the US-Mexico rivalry last night, which Wahl apparently produced... he was Tweeting about the Argentina-Netherlands game just 7 hours ago:

At least it's most likely not Covid given he was testing negative regularly, that would be awkward given his wife is Dr Celine Gounder who was on the Covid team for the Biden campaign...

But is bronchitis even fatal? And that suddenly? After getting a "course of antibiotics and heavy-duty cough syrup"?

Also WSJ is reporting it was cardiac arrest: "suffered what medics at the scene called cardiac arrest"

[​IMG]

Let's hope there wasn't any foul play, he must have had plenty of enemies in Qatar between the rainbow shirt incident and coverage of migrant worker deaths... apparently his brother (on Instagram) thinks he was killed, but then who can blame him given how shocking this is, doesn't mean that's what happened... surely there will be a thorough autopsy once his body is back in the US.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wearing that rainbow shirt and that hat, that's how the world will always remember him... RIP.

goussoccer repped this.
  6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I guess sudden cardiac arrest from pneumonia is a thing as well. A healthy ESPN reporter in his 30s died of pneumonia. Really tragic news.

I used to love his pieces in SI - always creative and entertaining. I was bummed when he gave up that gig.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Grant was part of the BigSoccer family. Today we lost one of ours.

8. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    He was 48.

Not too much younger than me.

sucks.

OWN(yewu)ED and Winoman repped this.
  9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    One of his last contributions here was trying to find out if Adu was captied to us - a long running debate that was really meaningless even at the time.

russ, ChrisSSBB and gomichigan24 repped this.
  10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don’t even know what to say.

Grant Wahl was the first soccer media person I started to read as a soccer fan. Hell he WAS the us soccer media back in the late 90s & early 2000s.

Feels like losing an acquaintance. Just so awful.

Rest In Peace Grant, and his family and surviving wife Dr Grounder eventually find peace to join their sorrow

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not taking one side or the other (there will be a thorough autopsy I'm sure), but...

What did the Saudi government (going all the way up to crown-prince MBS who was directly involved) "gain" by killing US resident and WaPo journalist Jamal Khashoggi? And he was executed in a foreign country (Turkey) and then they disposed of his body after cutting it up with a bone saw. Also see a dozen examples of the Putin regime killing people in both Russia and abroad... a journalist who reported on the Chechen War, Anna Politkovskaya. Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned using Polonium in the UK. More recently Sergei Magnitsky who the Magnitsky Act is named after... All very different cases but were killed after there was nothing left to "gain" by killing them. There is a whole Wikipedia page full of Russian journalists:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Huge loss for the American soccer scene. I'm stunned. The sport will seem different, to me anyway, without him covering it.

russ, Chesco United and Winoman repped this.
  14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Grant was just among the very best sports journalists period. He had the very first LeBron James SI covet story.

[​IMG]

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was his screen name?

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 xbhaskarx, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    That's true, like mountain climbers who die on Everest. Heck today was probably the best set of quarterfinal games in World Cup history. If you're a soccer journalist, being in the stadium covering Netherlands - Argentina isn't a bad way to go out.

He probably wouldn't like to be associated with much of the rest of what's trending right now though...

[​IMG]
    Some updates...

US State Department

LeBron James

russ repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

russ, gomichigan24, svelten and 2 others repped this.
  19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This really blows. It was from reading Grant that I started following the USMNT. Too young to go this soon, younger than me. Hug the ones you love folks.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was his handle?

21. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

I get what you're saying, but nearly all of your examples were nationals of the country that killed them.

Jamal was Saudi, killed in the Saudi consulate (technically Saudi ground)
    Anna was Russian
    Litvinenko was a Russian defector
    Magnitsky was Russian (Soviet born in Ukraine)

Their reasoning in many of these cases was they spurned their "nation" and embarrassed them.
    Seen as traitors.

Wahl is a US Citizen reporting the same thing that's being reported and has been reported for years since Qatar starting building for the WC. Probably thousands of articles from the guardian, amnesty international, CNN, Al Jazeera, NBC/ABC/CBS, BBC, hell even Netflix highlighted it in the FIFA documentary.

It's just not common, thankfully that a nation such as Qatar would kill a foreign national reporting on something that's been constantly reported on for years.

Obviously I'm sure we could find examples of killings of foreigners, but right now during this WC Qatar wants anything BUT a global incident. And killing an American journalist? crazy.

Earthshaker and DCU1984 repped this.
  22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Check the thread out

NorthBank and Kirium repped this.
  23. Fringshandball

Fringshandball New Member

galaxy
    United States
    Jul 20, 2021
    How many journalists have died in attendance for a world cup game?

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 1 I know of

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes