RIP Giacinto Facchetti

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giacinto Facchetti, current president of Inter, and one of Italy's greatest players ever, died today of a long suffering illness. He was 64.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep4h.html

Il Capitano

There was an air of nobility about Giacinto Facchetti. A tall, elegant and imposing defender in his playing days, he rarely seemed to lose his cool. Even in the history of a giant club like Inter his name will long be remembered. As well as being an outstandingly talented player, Facchetti also had the good fortune to be around at the best moment in the Nerazzurri’s story.

Mention the 1960s now to an Inter fan and they still get all misty-eyed. Their scoring full back was a major part of those magical times. But it nearly didn’t happen for the boy from Treviglio. As a teenage talent he was on the brink of a deal with Atalanta - much closer to home. In the end the bigger club vying for his talents got its way, as usual, and a great career as a symbol for the team from the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium had begun.

It didn’t all go smoothly to start with, but it was the legendary Helenio Herrera who spotted how vital Facchetti could be to his team. He catapulted the youngster into becoming a first team regular and from then on he barely missed a game. Herrera recalled: "I could see that this big, tall player with an eye for goal was ideal for the left full back slot."

And so it proved to be as the Inter man became something of a role model for the modern wing-back with an outstanding scoring record. Almost 60 Serie A goals at a time when Italian football was at its most defensive is a pretty impressive return. Little wonder Herrera was happy to put his young star straight into the first team.

Make no mistake, Facchetti was not just about attacking - along with Tarcisio Burgnich, Aristide Guarneri and Armando Picchi he formed one of the most formidable back lines ever seen in the Italian game. It was from this base that Inter - fuelled by the funds of oil giant Angelo Moratti - went on to conquer the world.

A first Scudetto came in just his third season at the club. And 1963 was also the year he established himself as a first team regular. Inter then went on to take that success to another level with triumphs across the globe. It was the only response supporters would accept having had to watch city rivals Milan become the first Italian team to take the European Cup.

Facchetti and his teammates responded with back-to-back European Cups and Intercontinental Cups the following two seasons. Another two League titles in 1965 and 1966 confirmed this as the golden age of Internazionale and Facchetti was a huge part of that. Indeed in one season he struck 10 League goals which was the kind of return any striker of the day would have been proud of. His consistency was of the kind that any Coach would love to build a side around.

It was inevitable that this sort of display would push his talents into the Italy team and after a disappointing World Cup in 1966 he enjoyed success with the Azzurri too. Although 1970 was to end in heartache at the hands of Brazil, in between times the boys in blue won the European Nations Cup for the one and only time.

"It is the fondest memory of many of my teammates and myself," admitted Facchetti years later. "For 30 years Italy had not won any title at national level. We got to the semi-final against Russia and it finished 1-1 after extra time and it took the toss of a coin to get us into the Final," he recalled. "A coin is not the best way to decide things but I think it rewarded the team who deserved to get to the Final."

That match with Yugoslavia took a replay to decide after a draw in the first game. Eventually Italy won through thanks to goals from Riva and Anastasi. "I think that is my best memory with the national side," said Facchetti. There were still more fine moments to come - most notably a fourth League title in 1971 - but it was clear that the days of the great Inter team were ending. Yet Facchetti’s career extended to the eve of the 1978 World Cup and in the process he set a string of records.

His 476 League games for Inter were only recently surpassed by that other great defender, Giuseppe Bergomi. And his 94 caps for his country were also a record until Dino Zoff and, more recently, Paolo Maldini came along. But it is as Italian captain that his record is still without equal. He led his country on no fewer than 70 occasions, which is a remarkable testimony to his quality and leadership ability.

Facchetti became an important symbol for both club and country. In many ways he changed the way the world thought about defenders with the attacking strength he brought to the game. His dynamic forward runs paved the way for the pressing game of the future. His late career switch to sweeper also cleared a path for other greats like Gaetano Scirea and Franco Baresi who followed in Il Capitano’s footsteps.

These skills were clearly something that a club like Inter were loathe to ignore when he retired from the game. He has carved out a role for himself in the new Millennium as a right hand man for new President Massimo Moratti. His coolness in a crisis has obviously come in useful in recent times.

Nowadays Facchetti occupies an important overseas role for the club keeping an eye out for players who might make as big an impact as he did. His most recent mission was to try to secure the services of Daniel Passarella as next Inter Coach. Although the signs do not look encouraging nobody should bet against Giacinto Facchetti. He generally won most of his battles on the field of play and those combative qualities still stand him in good stead today.

STAR RATING 9/10 Giacinto Facchetti was once the most capped outfield player in Italy’s history and the epitome of its footballing style. A tall, elegant and imposing defender, Facchetti was a key member of the great Inter side that won four Serie A titles plus the European and World Club Cups in 1964 and 1965.

Giacinto Facchetti
    Club: Inter
    Born: Treviglio (Bergamo), 18/7/42
    Position: Defender
    Serie A debut: Roma 0-2 Inter, 21/5/61
    Club: Inter
    International debut: Turkey 0-1 Italy (Istanbul), 27/3/63
    Last International game: England 2-0 Italy (Wembley), 16/11/77
    International caps: 94
    International gls: 3

Honours:
    4 Scudetto (1963, 65, 66, 71)
    2 European Cups (1964, 65)
    2 World Club Cup (1964, 65)
    1 Coppa Italia (1978)
    1 European Nations Cup (1968)
    World Cup runners-up (1970)

2. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I had a lot of respect for him. A great defender plus goalscorer.
    RIP

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    This was shocking news to me. I didn't even know he was ill.

I know I make fun of Inter all the time, but Fachetti really was a class act throughout his career. He was our Capitano for many years and won the Euro Cup in 68.

Grazie Giacinto...Ci mancherai

RIP

4. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Addio Capitano !

[​IMG]

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is an article that I translated from LA Stampa on Facchetti. ADDIO! ERI GRANDE! I'll never forget when he was red carded while sitting on the bench in the late 90's. He was always a fighter. Sad to see him go. I never knew he was picked for WC 78. I remember him playing in the WCQ matches but he must have been really good to be considered for the squad. He then said no to his coach in 1978, leaving way to Antonello Cabrini who wasn't even really a starter with Juve yet. Since Facchetti, there have been a long line of left backs for Italy. First Cabrini , then Maldini now Grosso. Too bad Grooso arrived too late.

http://www.lastampa.it/sport/cmsSezioni/calcio/200609articoli/3491girata.asp

He had been the President of Inter since 2004
    Giacinto Facchetti died at the age of 64 years. He died in Milan for a terminal illness
    Mazzola said, «he was a marvelous teammate»
    9/42006

[​IMG]

MILAN. Giacinto Facchetti died, the president of Inter was 64 years old, he died of a terminal incurabel illness today in Milan.

He was born in 1942 near the province of Bergamo, Facchetti since January 2004 at the helm of Inter, after Massimo Moratti quit. He was vice president since Peppino Prisco died, and the almost 64 year old from bergamo was always recognized with Inter, where he played defender from 1961 al 1978.

«When I herd of the death of Giacinto, I had a knot in my throat. We were together a lifetime , these are things that stay with you and you feel bad». These were the first words of Sandro Mazzola on the death of his friend and teammate. «He was a a great figure on & off the field. He was a marvelous teammate, a stellar player of our team (& defense). He was always ready to fight, a great player.»

«A great person. Even bigger person on the human front more than on the sporting front. Off the field , he was a worth a lot, a lot more". Gianni Rivera remembers Facchetti: «We spent many years together, we saw each other even after, after we retired from playing. We had a strong personal bond between us».
    Giacinto Facchetti was born in Treviglio, a province of Bergamo, on the 18th of July, 1942. He was one of the best players of all time in Italy, he was the first to invent the overlapping attacking fullback on Inter & in the national teeam , tieing his career even as a GM on Inter where he finished as team president. He started his journey on his hometown team ,Trevigliese, curiously as a forward, also because of his height.

Herrera, the great coach of Inter discovered him and brought him with him to Milan during the '60-'61 season changing his position to take advantage of his breakaway ability.

It was his fortune and that of the Inter's that he would live out the best epic in his history. His debut in Serie Á. came on May 21' 61, in a Rome-Inter match that ended 2-0 for the guests. Facchetti doesn't play well but his coach, HH, comments: «This boy will be a fundamental column of my Inter». His Inter and that of Mazzola, Suarez, Picchi, Burgnich, Jair, & Domenghini just to name a few of the extraordinary stars of that season, wins the Champions Cup in 64 and then agin in 65, the scudetto in 63, 65, 66 and then in ' 71, two Intercontinental Cups and a Coppa Italia. In Serie A Facchetti played 476 times for Inter..

In Azzurro his debut came on March 27th 1963 against Turkey, in the EURO qualifying match for the European Cup of 64, called up by Edmondo Fabbri. The Azzurri won 1-0, it was the first of his 94 games for Italy, he played more times for Italy other than Zoff and Paolo Maldini (not including Cannvaro who now has 101). «Giacinto Magno», as Brera calls him, he was the Azzurri captain at 24 years of age, in 1965 he reach the platform for the golden Ball behind Eusebio, it winning the European Cup of 68 (He picked the correct side or face of the coin or the coin toss that made Italy win semifinal against Yugoslavia because of a draw) surrendering only to Brazil & Pelé in the WC Final of 1970.

The discretion of elegance, and loyalty and the correctness (only one red card in his career) both with both Italy & Inter who gave him an executive job just after he stopped playing. Rather during, considering that in the' 78 season he was nominated managing companion, a sort of team captain while not player, in the World Cup in Argentina. He arrived at the tournament after having ended his career as a sweeper, convincing Suarez to try him at that position. Also on this occasion he shows his correctness that countersigns him: under defective conditions he tells the ct Bearzot to call up another player.

He retired as a player right after the 78 season for a desk position: before representative to the foreign countries of the Inter, then as vice-president of Atalanta before being recalled by Massimo Moratti back to his mother house(club). GM, then vice-president after the death of Prisco, therefore president from January 2004 when Moratti decided to step down.
    During his managerial career w/Inter he picks up two Italian Cups, two Italian Super cups and a scudetto given on the table after the scandal of calciopoli. (this year)

His last recognition which was rendered to him was the Golden Foot prize assigned to him some days ago because he was among the greatest along with Raymond Kopa, Alcides, Ghiggia, Zico and Ferenk Puskas.

6. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Franz Beckenbauer’s adidas +10 Team

Right, first of all, my +10 team would be comprised of players who are no longer active. There are so many great players, that’s why it's rather difficult to put a team like this together. I think I could come up with at least ten equally suited players for every single position, but I like to go with tradition and stick with real legends.

As my goalkeeper I'd have Lev Yashin, a true legend. Unfortunately he's no longer alive, but we all remember him and his brilliant saves.

Let's look at the defence. It's a 4-3-3 system, so let’s start with the right-back. There, I would have to pick Carlos Alberto, the Brazilian captain in 1970 and one of the best players I've ever seen. He was also my team-mate for five years at New York Cosmos.

In central defence would be England’s Bobby Moore, the FIFA World Cup-winning captain of '66 and, alongside him, it would have to be me.

My left-back would be Giacinto Facchetti , a fantastic player at Inter Milan, who was the first full-back to really attack from a defensive position, and who scored many goals in the process.

My central midfielders would be Bobby Charlton, the English legend, and Alfredo Di Stefano, who to me is one of the best players in the history of this sport.

Next to them, on the left, I would play Johan Cruyff. I'd then have George Best on the right because, in my opinion, there never has been anyone better on that side.

Finally, up front, I would have to pick Pele, the best player football has ever seen, and on the left I'd have Diego Maradona.

I think that's quite a formidable team I've put together there.

7. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Grazie Capitano !

[​IMG]

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never jnew this, but I always wondered why? However, I guess he played in the WCQ matches for Argentina 1978 but becuase he was injured he told Enzo Berzot to pick someone else and that is when Berzot lauched Cabrini. I wonder how he would have played at that point in his career? The Azzurri came in 4th place that year but I guess Berzot brought him along as his assistant similar to Ciro Ferrara's role this year.

I rememeber how an Inerista friend of mine would always get upset when he talked of Giacinto becuase he scored an own goal against Foggia in the his last game ever for Inter in a 2-1 win. They won the Italian Cup in that game so he shouldn't have felt all that bad.

9. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Well. Sometimes things happen for a reason. In 1978 Facchetti was well past his prime. And in the 1978 WC Cabrini won the "Best Young Player" Award.

As it turned out, I think we can say Facchetti did the right thing.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just saw the TG news and they said that Facchetti scored 78 total goals in his 18 year career. He scored 3 while he played for the Azzurri 94 times. That is quite a lot of goals for a defender. Especially in the Italian league when the catenaccio was in full effect. I remember those matches were always pretty defensive a lot more than they are today. That is even a pretty nice amount of goasl for a midfielder and/or forward.

11. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    RIP--shocking as he went so quickly. Condolances for his family and gratitude for a champion.

At least he saw Inter get a couple more scudetti again (like you didn't think it;).

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    [QUOTE='Uaglio]This was shocking news to me. I didn't even know he was ill.

I know I make fun of Inter all the time, but Fachetti really was a class act throughout his career. He was our Capitano for many years and won the Euro Cup in 68.

Grazie Giacinto...Ci mancherai

RIP[/QUOTE]
    Have to echo these sentiments. Didn't even know he was ill. I only came here to check if Rossi was playing today, didn't expect this news.

A true legend, one that anyone who wishes to learn about this great game should study.

RIP

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was a very influential person. He was great in defence and attack, a great captain and he is one of the greatest players to have played the game. He also influenced Beckerbauer in how a defender should join the attack.

Riposi in Pace. Una leggenda di calcio.

15. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I was away for the long weekend over here in the States (Labor Day) and added few more, away from the internet and any news.
    I've got this only last night and I was saddened and shocked as well.

The reason that I brought up my holiday is because over the weekend I happened to think about the misfortuned 1974 Azzurri.
    Back then they were and kind of still is my all time favorite Azzurri, ever.

They were a questionable favorite at that tournament coz the stars were aging, but I don't believe in ages for great footballers.

The team had entered the World Cup with 12 consecutive shut outs (people have to remember that back then even the Int'l friendlies weren't exactly that friendly as these days with hundreds of subs, there were much more pride.) and was to play mostly in Stuttgart were many Italian immigrants lived and for me they had my idol Rivera with the perfect hair (back then), with a cool away strip which had a blue stripe across the chest on a white jersey and of course my great 3 Laziali (Chinaglia, Wilson, Re Cecconi) were in the squad.

Anyway, that is the Azzurri that I have followed the most and was dying for the WM74 to kick off, but as a result Sanon of Haiti scored by a counter attack right after the 2nd half and after 1,143 minutes, Zoff finally led a ball roll into his goal line.
    Italy won the match scoring 3 goals, but the grip was gone and they tied against Argies and lost against Polska and out were they and most of the old stars never played for Gli Azzurri again, all except Facchetti and Zoff.

Facchetti continued to be their Capitano and the last time I saw him Live on TV as a player was against England where the Azzurri lost 2-0 in 1977.

He was the Paolo Maldini of his generation, or shall I say Paolo Maldini is the Giancinto Facchetti of now days being loyal to his club and also being the gentleman of the game.

Rest in peace Capitano, you will be at my heart, a part of my childhood forever!

Facchetti played more in the Center on his later years, so the answer to your question would be...how would he have played in WC78 compared to Bellugi or Scirea, I think.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Today before the Inter Sampdoria match at San Siro there was a big banner thanking Facchetti and again another standing ovation and applause, the final one for Giacinto .

Inter is losing after the half 0-1.

17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was nice to see him honored today. Addio, Giacinto!

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Addio e ci vediamo in paradiso!

Giacinto Facchetti

[​IMG]