RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    That moth joke was pretty solid.

celito repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Norm on Germany

song219 repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been watching a lot of Norm clips lately and I've come to the conclusion that he's not really all that great.

SamScouse and Dyvel repped this.
  4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't get why people think he's worth bothering with.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He nailed it at the end of this interview. Kind of have to watch it from at least midpoint though.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The buildup is what makes it so great.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Acquired taste i guess. Other comedians loved him.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I found the clip funny but not funny enough for me to regret the fact that I stopped watching SNL in the late 80's.

rslfanboy repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He had a reputation as a "comic's comic." But unlike most comics comics of his generation (Jimmy Tingle, Barry Crimmins) he achieved some mainstream success by getting on SNL and actually doing a pretty solid job, esp. on Weekend Update, as I recall. . .

. . . but in general, I can't disagree with this.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He had the balls to keep slamming OJ even after the NBC suits told him to knock it off. He gets props for that. Ohlmeyer also tried to ban him when Conan was on NBC but Conan had him on anyway

12. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean, it's really just a family friendly version of "the aristocrats" or "******** you, clown"

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The real question is: Did he have the balls to slam the LAPD for trying to frame a man who may have been guilty?

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Probably not.

15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comedy is funny that way. While almost every major comic talks big against a Union or a guild they are all protective as crap of their craft where they watch and make sure other comedians don't step over other comedians. And thus the business of comedy at times can be more protective than anything the gov't could ever implement.

I am not a member of their "guild" but from the outside looking in and I can totally see the hierarchy they put in place. It's why so many comedians hated Dane Cook or anyone who broke out before they should have.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think they hated Dane Cook because he was a notorious joke thief.

superdave and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That, and he and Carlos Mencia straight up stealing other comedian’s jokes without attribution.

The pressure to perform comes at great cost. Think of a lot of great bands who have really bad albums mixed in. There’s a contract and a deadline. Gotta put something out there…..

18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I originally bought the idea of theft but really it feels like favoritism. I recently saw a bit of Norm McDonald explaining how the moth joke was from Colin Quinn but based on seniority no one cried theft. It was love. Not to mention even odder I saw Chappelle claim Key and Peele stole Dave's idea of a sketch show and I was like get out of here. I love comedy but when you dive in to the politics of it, it can get petty and dirty in my opinion.

19. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Dave was aiming beyond Keye and Peele and would have never done this

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought they just sucked

Mike03 repped this.
  21. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Angelo Codevilla, one of the more astute observers of our politics, predictor of the rise of populism and acerbic commentator on our domination by our "ruling class" has died, reportedly in an accident.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/angelo-codevilla-rip/

See this essay for his remarkable prescience, "Who the Hell do They Think They Are?"

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/who-hell-do-they-think-they-are-angelo-m-codevilla/

This is who they are....

America’s “Best And Brightest” — the media’s haughty personages, the college towns’ privileged residents, affimative action’s beneficiaries, the “mainstream” politicians who supported billions for bailouts and “stimuli,” the upscale folks who look down on the rest of us and upon themselves as saviors of the planet

See also a detailed interview with a very prickly interviewer, whose questions are "a marvelous recitation of ruling class prejudices" -- if any of you are REALLY interested in how the "other side" thinks.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/angelo-codevilla

Choice quotes:

On our current low kinetic civil war.

We realize that you hate us and therefore we hate you back. And we will take anybody, not that we found this man who fits our description, because Donald Trump didn’t fit anybody’s description of what they wanted. But we will take anybody who’ll take a swing at you.

On the source of the ruling class arrogance

I should say the defining feature of the ruling class is a certain attitude. And that attitude developed in the academy, and that attitude became uniform throughout the country because of the uniform academy. The uniformity of the academy transformed itself into the uniformity of the ruling class.

On why the revolution is just beginning

The election of 2016 was precisely about whether anyone in America is above the law. The reason why so many people did not vote for Hillary Clinton is the feeling that she and her ilk were above the law, were acting as if they were above the law, which happened to be entirely true. Now the fact that the Trump administration is acting according to the same premise, i.e., that some people are above the law, is evidence that the revolution that the voters wanted in 2016 has only just begun.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've only just beguuunnn
    To liiiiiiiiive
    White folks and pro-mises
    Chain him to the truck and we're on our waaayyyyy

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the first part of the obit. The "pre" in predict means before. He "pre"dicted it after Sarah Palin's massive popularity in 2008. Color me skeptical.

taosjohn repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...gVy6dmXy_eks99eOxC-vfXDaLsrJsuwdCmKIiZENV0UOg

George Holliday, who videotaped L.A. police beating Rodney King, dies of covid-19 complications

Pretty much the Abe Zapruder of the ongoing civil rights struggle.

It was also one of the first videos to capture an act of police brutality, specifically against an unarmed Black man, and expose it to a wide audience. “The Rodney King video was the Jackie Robinson of police videos,” the Rev. Al Sharpton told the New York Times last year. In June, the Pulitzer Prize board awarded a special citation to another citizen journalist, Darnella Frazier, whose cellphone footage of George Floyd’s murder sparked a national reckoning over racial justice and police misconduct.

superdave, Mike03, Val1 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say he was more the Bob Beamon. Larry Doby made his debut a few months after Jackie Robinson. beamon’s record stood a very, very long time.