RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hendrix' 'All Along the Watchtower' over Dylan's version.

Sonic Youth's version.

So much this too.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife and I are watching Battlestar Galactica. That is a fracking important song at a major plot point. And I think they use the Hendrix version as the soundtrack for the ladt scene in the series finale.

crazypete13 repped this.
  3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    roby, Dyvel, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotta love English place names. Lynn was living in a.town called Ditchling when she passed.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ditchling was the home of a major arts and crafts movement in the 20th century. Don't know if that had anything to do with her settling there or not. That community almost made it to the 21st century, but its founders were a generation older than Vera Lynn, IIRC.

Val1 repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    xtomx and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  7. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The first place I heard the song was later...

chaski and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Peggy Lee had a hit in the US with it in 1942. At the time I saw the movie, I thought Lee's was the original and wondered why Kubrick didn't use it...

9. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Is this a paid gig?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mary Kay Letourneau has died. She was infamous for having relations with one of her 6th grade students, almost getting a slap on the wrist for it because she is so gosh darn cute, and then getting the book thrown at her because she was found with him in her car before the plea agreement was signed.

She was always in my heart and earbuds because Jill Sobule wrote a song about her and I like Jill Sobule's music.

And since this is the political forum, it's important to note that her father was John Schmitz, former member of the House of Representatives for Orange County, California. He was so right wing he was kicked out of the John Birch Society. He was so right wing he was kicked out of the John Birch Society. Wow.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Where were teachers like that when I was in 6th grade?

Anyhoo, getting this back on track...

Hangin' On The Telephone Blondie >>> The Nerves
    Cat Power, too

13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You mean rapists?
    Actual rapists who were convicted of felony rape.

Gee, I hope not in your school and, hopefully, in jail.

sitruc, Auriaprottu and spejic repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that actually tops my 9th grade civics teacher, who was so right wing he was, in the 1990s, kicked out of the American Legion.

You can imagine what a civics class would be like with a guy like that. Basically, I think exposure to this guy immunized me from Fox News.

15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One might think so in the 6th grade, but it kinda messed that kid up.

If the question is how much better the cover is than the original, then there is only one answer to which one is best. And that is Matt Mulholland's version of "Friday". He took the worst song ever and made it amazing without changing a single word.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Your ability to tell when I'm being 100% serious and when I'm not is lacking. I might have taken her up on such an offer if I were in 10th grade, tho.

You don't know me well enough to know I'd never do that to a young lady, nor would I fail to alert the authorities if I saw anyone else doing it (to anyone of either gender), but I wouldn't and I wouldn't. Don't even bother with the "double standard" stuff.

Your comment about jailing me is asinine. I think I've earned the right to some odd humor. Actually, it ain't that odd. Who tf hasn't said that on at least one occasion after hearing about a female teacher/male student relationship? I mean, aside from you?

xtomx repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had no idea he was still alive. RIP.

I had an instructor like that once- at an HBCU, no less. Department had unknowingly hired a conservative chair, and he hired this RWNJ to teach a few low-level courses. He called JFK a "philandering boob" in class one day. He should have just come out and attacked JFK's policies instead, because as a man, he had no business hating. I lost all respect for him for real that day.

The department ended up getting rid of the chair and never hired another one like him again, thank Tata

Half the mofos I've taught with are amateur Civil War historians. They trade/buy/sell the relics, go to re-enactments, the whole shebang. I've thought on many occasions about asking them if they do re-enactments of Appomattox, but I don't want a visit from the cops late one night...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure it did.
    I'd retract the comment, but the edit time has long since passed.

I'll try to give it a listen. I don't know the song.

xtomx repped this.
  19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have to listen to the original first. It was an internet sensation back in 2011. Most people feel at first that they can steel themselves against it... but they are completely unprepared for the intensity of the pain.

And that's unfixable, right? What can anyone do with lyrics like "Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday / Tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes after"?

Now you ache with the weight of its meaning. This is the unvarnished anguish of the human soul.

rslfanboy and superdave repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1146 xtomx, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    :thumbsup: [I have a BIT of a problem with child rape...or any rape, for that matter]
    Sad

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I knew a guy who is in his late 60s who was in that situation around age 13 or 14. It messed him up pretty bad. He was married and divorced 3 different times, always had trouble getting and keeping jobs and in short, was a mess.

See, most of us learn how to (and how not to) deal with girls in our early teens. We gradually evolve from a stupid immature knucklehead to a guy that a female might actually find appealing. It takes time, trial and error and a maturing process. And of course it never stops as we get older.

If you don't go through that process you never learn the stuff you will need to have any sort of functional relationship in adult life.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naya Rivera, former and possibly current girlfriend of Jermaine Jones.

23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Anecdote: My very good friend who got a girl pregnant when he was 14 and then married her and has been working like a dog the rest of his life... also has significant relationship issues. He divorced his really rad 2nd wife of 10 years after she went some really tough emotional times and he couldn't help her, so they drifted apart.

Then he turned into a 15-year-old boy slut for a couple years.

He's now in a long-term relationship with another girl, but it isn't super-healthy either. Just really weird watching him go through all of this as an adult, where he is so competent at being an adult in every other facet aside from where his dick is involved.

24. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For the rest of us there is Fallout 4.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.