RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why?
    He was credibly accused of sexual assault.
    He was arrested and charged. The victim refused to testify, so the case was dropped.
    He was sued and entered into a "settlement agreement" with the victim.
    He bought his wife a ridiculously large diamond ring.

It was not an "adventure," it was sexual assault.
    I am surprised that you are so flippant about a sexual assault.

Dyvel, soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Only matters if you are a Clinton... the just the accusation is enough.

Auriaprottu, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    To make it more interesting, Snoop also thinks Bill Cosby's innocent ("free Bill Cosby") and Bill gave Snoop a shout out from his prison Twitter account.

1225519733442740224 is not a valid tweet id

1225519997969223681 is not a valid tweet id

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm reading Stanger's post incorrectly, but I think he's saying that he's uncomfortable with people like Gayle King being given a lot of crap for pointing out that Kobe was no saint and had lots of baggage. Just because he died doesn't erase all that...

And some day when Bill Clinton passes, certainly his "character" issues will be brought up. Will anyone pointing out his flaws get the same level of flack?

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who writes Bill Cosby’s Twitter account?

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    A rape enthusiast.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Harvey Weinstein?

8. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not, but pointing out Kobe raped a 19 year old doesn't seem to be a proper topic when his jersey is being retired. Or so a shit-ton of people have pointed out on Twitter to anyone that dared to mention it.

Exactly.

xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I disagree but I apologize, @stanger, for misinterpreting your post.

HerthaBerwyn and stanger repped this.
  10. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And lest anyone think it was an instance of "he said, she said," there was plenty of corroborating physical evidence in this case. The young woman went to the hospital the morning after the assault, and the examining nurse found lacerations on her genitals. Her blood was found on Kobe's clothing. She also had bruising on her throat and jaw, consistent with her claim that he choked her. Kobe's DNA was found inside her.

I think Kobe is a pretty perfect example of why we need to not monster-ize rapists, even if we perceive the crime of rape to be monstrous. Regular, otherwise good dudes who are pillars of their communities and good dads etc. etc. etc. commit rape. The perception that only weird, deviant, obvious creeps commit rape allows clean-cut, well respected guys to get away with their crimes.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure that is what @Auriaprottu was trying to say.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that when former president Clinton dies, we'll be treated to a solid month of those who will spend the time discounting his accomplishments as a president and touting his many and several sexual assaults, all while defenders of his legacy will spend the same month slutshaming all of these women to "protect his legacy.

I'll be taking a two month media break for that...

Sadly, since HRC didn't get to be president, she won't have a presidential library to be located up the hill from Bill's in Little Rock. She'll have to settle for it being constructed on lease free land in the head of every American conservative for the next century

Chicago76 repped this.
  13. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure what Auriaprottu was saying was that, if you're a black man, raping a young white woman is....not a smart life choice.

russ and Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, you don't even have to rape one...

Sincerely, the Black Residents of Tulsa, Oklahoma

sitruc, russ, Chesco United and 4 others repped this.
  15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think time and place has a lot to do with it.

I certainly am not a big Kobe fan, but a man and his daughter were killed in a tragic accident along with other people. They left behind a wife/mother/kids/siblings.

Let people morn.

The fact that he was accused of rape does not make this event any less tragic.

There is a time and place for the discussion of the allegations, while people are mourning isn't it.

I do find it sad that there are people who didn't give a flying F$$$ about the rape allegations until he died and then they had a chance to shit on everything so it somehow became important at that moment.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That boy's drunk again

xtomx repped this.
  17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never was Kobe fan, I gave up on watching basketball with the passing of the torch from the Lakers / Celtics / Pistons era of the NBA, he was arguably the dominant player of his generation, but make no mistake, no matter what he did after extricating himself from that allegation via his fuckton of money and the media / hype machine that relied on him for money, I refused to watch anything involving him or purchase any product that he endorsed or that relied on him.

He was from that time onward, an unconvicted rapist. He simply had the money / power to make it go away. Harvey had that clout for decades, so did Cosby & MJ.

Eventually that all evaporates as your fans age enough to realize that their heroes can be exploitative people all the way down rapists too, and more importantly, once you are no longer someone's cash cow.

Same thing happens all the way down to the Nice guy at Church / Office, captain of the HS football team, etc, etc, etc

soccernutter, taosjohn and stanger repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jeffrey Epstein's "ghost"

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm pretty sure R Kelly keeps MJs up to date

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The media, and the NBA in particular, has been falling over themselves to praise Bryant. Apart from a couple of women - WOMEN! - who dared to criticize the rah! rah! of Bryan't life. And remember, one of those women was suspended from her job because she dared to bring up the rape. Bryant was a great player, and it appears that he took that moment and turned his life around, strongly supporting the WNBA. But that does not excuse that he violently raped a woman, who is likely to have life long issues because of the rape. When his legacy is discussed, that should be mentioned, too.

striker, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Joseph Shabalala, headman of Ladysmith Black Mambazo has died. The singing group was a big deal tword the end of Apartheid, working with Paul Simon on that really famous Graceland album (Diamonds on the soles of her shoes) Their mainstream notoriety was a 6-8 year run but their quality showed long before and after. Great sound!! which helped with the change in South Africa.

[/url]

striker, sitruc, roby and 3 others repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Paul English, 87

[​IMG]

We received our education
    In the cities of the nation, me and Paul
    (Willie Nelson)

HerthaBerwyn and fatbastard repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Great song from the Greatest country album of all time. A great tribute to the man, Paul English will be missed.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    consequential?

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    In the same way as Joe Biden's dead presidential bid.