RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My wife said the same as you when I came home today.
    The “Steel Magnolia”

Yes and Melania did have the balls to show up! Her husband didn’t but it wasn’t out of respect.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think so. There's a very small, very finite number of women alive who know what it is to be First Lady. And as the woman most uncomfortable in that glare since maybe Betty Ford, well, I gotta give Melania Trump the props.

TheJoeGreene and charlie15 repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Props for what? Finding her way to a memorial she doesn't deserve to attend?

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What do you mean she doesn't deserve to attend? She's a former First Lady. If Jimmy, and I presume Amy and Jack, decide to have a public funeral, and they are OK with her coming, why shouldn't Melania attend?

On the plus side, she showed up her husband.

MattR, soccernutter, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mentioned before that we need to dispense with the formalities where Trump and his family are concerned, specifically to highlight the seriousness of this existential good v. evil battle we're in. I don't think anyone associated with the sort of conservatism Trump has brought down on my head should be able to attend a memorial for anyone as decent as Rosalyn Carter.

I don't presume to override President Carter's wishes, just expressing my opinion. This shit stopped being "loyal opposition" in 2008.

usscouse repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warren Buffets money guy, Charlie Munger aged 99.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are forgetting that this is an invitation only event. They were both invited, but D Trump probably didn't show because he doesn't like people who died. Melania did because she, too, was a FLOTUS. And probably showing up her hus...spouse.

But, as for the invite, it was both the right thing to invite somebody of that position (former) as well as a demonstration that the Trumpicans are full of shit. I'm willing to be that Mike Johnson didn't get an invite. (Though it appears Schumer didn't get an invite, either). I do find it odd that neither Obama or Bush II attended, though invited.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But as Auria said, what if you find the Trumps illegitimate to begin with? Then letting these grifters even attend is an affront to the Carters' legacies. Don't ever extend normal presidential niceties to these anti democratic nutjobs.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that when Jimmy Carter passes away, Trump is not invited to the funeral.

YankHibee and charlie15 repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should. Because it shows that Democrats are better people. Also, he should be seated between H Clinton and either Obama. He would be furious, and the visuals would be outstanding.

YankHibee, xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't forget- I didn't know it was by invitation only. Of course, thinking about it for less than a second, that makes sense.
    for
    Not following you here. He is her husband. I mean, that's on her for marrying him, but that's what he is. Why did you very deliberately sub in "spouse" here? If the word "husband" triggered you, you wouldn't have started to use it.

Is there something out there about him that you know but can't disclose?

Your tendency is to ignore questions like this, but I want to say that I've asked in good faith and in an honorable way, and I think it deserves an answer.

It demonstrates nothing more than that Dems are often more willing to reach across the aisle than the GOP. If Melania had been the one to die, we'd be looking at an entirely different group of invitees.

Why not? Like Trump, Johnson's where he is because of conservatism. Both big and small picture. He has a role in government because there are enough twisted wastes of protoplasm out there to support conservative political goals and policies.

Trump didn't invent segregation, or discrimination against POCs or wreaking havoc over women's reproductive rights or forcing public teacher-led prayer in public schools or discussing/teaching about earlier nonChristian faiths as mythology while demanding that Christianity be treated as fact, or running roughshod over the humanity of gay folks, or removing the history frojm history education in some states (shit, Trump ain't responsible for the monumental error of declaring ed to be a state function). He courted millions of Americans who supported any and all of that shit and won the office.

You may well be right that Johnson didn't get an invite because he's not high up enough on the ladder. Still, it doesn't reflect a sense of urgency that Melania is there. As I said earlier, this isn't a friendly game of chess over brandy and blunts anymore.. it's a legislative Civil War, with one side desperately trying to keep certain members of the other side under their knee, so to speak.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need to give that traitor an air of respectability by inviting him to a respectable occasion. And anyone who doesn't already know that Democrats are better people than Republicans isn't going to be convinced by inviting a criminal traitor to a solemn event.

13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They could schedule the funeral on a day they know Trump must be in court. Seems like that won’t be hard to do.

yossarian, charlie15, roby and 3 others repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Husband" just seems to intimate for their relationship.

Let me just say that exclusion always works. Right?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of low information moderates and independents.

charlie15 and Chesco United repped this.
  16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And so Melania after attending a former First Lady’s eulogy, seeing photos of that lady at her husband’s inauguration where they kissed. A tad different than your husband’s inauguration perhaps. Then hearing the warm and intimate passages of their lives in and out of office and heartfelt, humorous comments on their family closeness.

Tell us, how does that compare to being the trophy wife, the third wife of a wannabe dictator.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It depends on who passes first, doesn’t it.

Smurfquake and Chesco United repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    superdave and Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe she knew that it would piss off the Donald. That's a good reason to attend.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Michelle Obama's face says it all

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This

1729639206794748292 is not a valid tweet id

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's not forget that Melania spread the same dumbshit conspiracies as her dumbshit husband.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah. She has balls to show up to anything official.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this is pretty low on the scale of shitty things coming outa Trumpland, apparently there is this tradition going back 150 years or so, where the outgoing First Lady has the incoming FL over to the White House for tea. Guess when that tradition stopped...

Of course, by doing that, she would have had to acknowledged the legitimacy of Jill Biden as First Lady, so that could never happen since everyone knows the election was stolen!

bigredfutbol repped this.