Rio Grande Valley FC USL superthread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Tigereye, Jul 13, 2015.

1. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, checked the stadium today, July 6th. They have started putting in the steel floor for a portion of the seats on the East Side. Construction seemed to be pretty laid back and slow. I know they want to open it August 2017, but realistically, it still looks like a March 2017 opening.

2. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reason why? I would think it would be great to open for at least a couple of games this year.. Would love for the last RGV/SAFC match to be the opening as I think it would draw a great crowd and be able to see what works and what needs to be improved.

3. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have to see the level of construction, it's still very early, with little of it built. I can't see this thing being ready to open before early spring 2017.

greenroom repped this.
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/671920

[​IMG]

HEB Park is the name of the entire complex.

[​IMG]

The article is careful to avoid saying when the stadium will open.

LaMascara, hipityhop and Blando13 repped this.
  5. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it won't look like this until Spring 2017. No way for this year.

6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Correct me if im wrong, but isn't the owner of the team also the owner of the construction company building it? Has weather been a problem or is he a bit short on cash?

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, the soccer team owner also owns the construction company. They are blaming weather issues and changes in the design. Alonzo Cantu, the primary owner, is not short of cash. He is also building a basketball arena for his local NBA-D League team so having the two simultaneous projects might have affected things. The basketball arena also went through design changes late in the process to increase the seating. It seems to be a pattern.

8. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with this pattern, don't be surprised to see this stadium done fall 2017.

9. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything new about stadium constructions since July 6th? I seem to be the only one posting at RGV forum, I guess there isn't much interest in Big Soccer in the valley. I have doubts that the stadium will be any different from what it was showing in July. I will see it in December and I will report with pictures.

10. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was down there for the last match. From my understanding that it is pretty cut and dry on how it is going to be built. Looks nice.. a little (American) footballish to me. But in speaking with the locals down there it has to do with the wind?

11. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is very windy in the valley for sure!

12. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checked out construction on January 6 2017. Cold front came through down to 39 degrees. Workers bundled up in arctic gear, they looked like they were ready for -10 weather! Construction around the stadium is progressing, part of the parking lot needs to be paved. Both East and West Stands with cover are up. About 10% of the seats have been installed. Grading for the field seems to be done. No scoreboard yet. All the inside construction for offices, locker rooms, etc. are not even started yet. This stadium won't be ready for the start of the season.

13. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off to see RGV put a hurt on OC. vamos toros!

15. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well RGV won on a nice evening with threatening showers at the end. Maybe a 1000 attended the match, no official numbers yet posted.

Only problem I had was the supporter groups have inserted a song in my head that threatens my life, if I sing it...

"Kick the ball ! Kick the ball! Come on Boys Kick the ball !"

repeated over and over to the thumping of the bass drum ....

If I start singing this song randomly in the car with my wife in the car, I will get shot within 30 seconds.... But the song is there now, and I can't get it out ....

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rio Grande Valley FC
    @RGVFC

9m
    Austin Bold FC and Rio Grande Valley FC match originally scheduled for July 10th will now take place on Wednesday, July 7th at 8pm at Bold Stadium.

hipityhop repped this.
  20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How close is the relation of this team to Houston Dynamo?
    Would they jump to the new MLS League?
    I

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    RGV was very close to the Dynamo originally. Houston hired the coach and provided all the players. RGV just ran the front office. But that relationship has ended. RGV is now completely independent. Houston is now creating a Dynamo 2 team to participate in MLS Next Pro. RGV will continue in USL.

22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------So staying in USL they still have San Antonio as closest rival and if Austin Bold move to Ft Worth, I guess that is next closest. El Paso also in Texas.
    I guess they could bump into MLS Next teams in the Open Cup also.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...o-of-2022-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-second-round

North Carolina FC (USL League One) 1, Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (USL Championship) 2

Frank Nodarse could not have found a better time to score his first professional goal. The 21-year-old former Cuban youth international snapped a 1-1 deadlock in the 79th minute via a 28-yard drive into the right side of the net to lift Rio Grande Valley to a comeback win at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. It was RGV's first Open Cup victory as head coach Wilmer Cabrera's squad advanced to the Third Round. Jaden Servania's goal from the top of the box boosted North Carolina into the lead, beating goalkeeper Colin Miller in the 45th minute. Frank Lopez equalized for RGV off a 20-yard rocket past goalkeeper Will Pulisic after a 54th-minute counterattack.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States