Rio drug test

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by RobB, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    Punishment? the hearing hasnt even taken place yet and hes already been found gulity, there is no chance he will get a fair trial. Non of this should have been made public. The FA are nothing short of a joke, the fact that Rio called a couple hours later asking to take it shows how messed up the FA are if it takes them 2 days to return. Im not defending Rio he was stupid for missing the drugs test and he deserves to get a fine, which is all he should get as that what the punishment has been in the past, no ban should be given but with this muppet Palios in charge i just dont know. I hope England go to Turkey and get stuffed. This could be the making of Rio at United, look at Cantona and Roy Keane, and lets not forget Beckham he only recieved legendary status at United after world cup 98. The more the rest of the league hate you the more you are seen as a legend by the Old Trafford faithful.

2. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont. I want the United players to do well.

Lets hope so!

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
  4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Does Rio play better when he is pissed? If so, this situation should supply him with enough anger for a long time.

5. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Apparently Gary Neville was ready to lead the Man Utd players on strike over this (from today's RedNews.co.uk):

There's more at the site if you want a good read

6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting that Sol Campbell has been one of Rio's biggest backers (perhaps because they're partners for England). Could go a long way to diffusing some of the tension between Arsenal and Man Utd.

I do think Campbell has a major authority problem, though ;).

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you can all appreciate this...

... You'd never thought you wanted to kiss Gary Neville ever.....

until NOW:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-854112,00.html

[song]Gary Neville's an English Red
    An English Red
    An English Red
    Gary Neville's an English Red
    He hates Paliooooossss......[/song]

God Bless Gary Neville. :D

8. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I'm concerned at what I'm hearing from Palios and FIFA now.

Palios, presumably smarting from the criticism he's received about pre-judging Ferdinand, has said that the ban was not part of the disciplinary procedure, that the FA was acting in their role as custodians of the England team. That sounds to me as if the ban will not be taken into account when it comes to punishing Ferdinand - ie if he's banned then that will not be considered part of it.

FIFA are sounding even worse. They have declared that they want the FA to punish Ferdinand severely if found guilty. Listen to this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fifa's medical committee head Michel D'Hooghe insisted: "This is a serious case. Ferdinand certainly has to be punished.

"Fifa is waiting to assess whether a serious sanction is forthcoming - one which fits the infringement.

"We will let the English do their work first. If everything is correct, we won't have to do anything."

He added: "Fifa uses their rules as a guideline but they are not binding. We are applying individual case management in these circumstances.

"The sanction could be less than two years or it could be more."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like the sound of either of these.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah well, the FA didn't get any problems from FIFA last year when they imposed a small fine on a City player for the same offense.

10. penquinref

penquinref New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    new jersey
    Paronoid, I think not....

11. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is getting ridiculous...now FIFA wants to get involved? Where where they when a City player missed a drug test last year?

12. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why do FIFA need to get involved. Lets have the decision first. Or is it as i suspect a message to the FA - Ban him for a few matches a fines not enough.

On a related issue machoward did you enjoy the England game?

Watching the Rugby world cup? Decided who you are going to support the Aussies or England?

13. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    >Why do FIFA need to get involved. Lets have the decision first. Or is it as i suspect a message to the FA - Ban him for a few matches a fines not enough.

I have this horrible feeling that Palios and FIFA want to make an example of Ferdinand. I hope I'm wrong.

>On a related issue machoward did you enjoy the England game?

Didn't see it. Just got to see Beckham's penalty and some of the aggro in a news item but nothing more.

>Watching the Rugby world cup?

Yes indeed! Can't wait for the England/Springboks match this weekend.

>Decided who you are going to support the Aussies or England?

No decision necessary. If the Wallabies win I'm going into hibernation for a year to avoid the anti-pom taunts. I still haven't lived down the soccer result and I avoid discussions on cricket like the plague :rolleyes:

14. cinnathamby

cinnathamby New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Singapore
  15. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 months? That is ridiculous!

Again, I point to the precedent of the City player who got a fine and no ban.

16. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Rugby might give you a chance to get your own back. Lets hope! :D

17. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If this happened in the US, you'd want this ban to be as bad as it possibly could be. Because the player will be suing any and all parties when its handed down. Banning players (without a hearing) from a *major* game and then letting them play the next weekend because I haven't had my hearing? Please! Any jury in the USA would award millions.

What's the situation over there though? I don't know enough about barristers and broomsticks to even guess...

18. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA frenchie wants British Government involved in Rio case...

:Michel Platini, however, said he regarded the case as a matter for the English FA to deal with and, if necessary, the British government.

Platini, who captained France to triumph in the 1984 European Championship finals, said the laws in France were much stricter than they appeared to be in England with regard to making sure players, or athletes involved in any sport, attended drugs tests when called to do so.

'This could not have happened in France,' he said.

'When they come to the national team headquarters, sometimes on the day before a match, they come with the police as well because it is a national law to do this and to comply.

'In France, we cannot understand how this Ferdinand case actually happened because the French government plays a much stronger role in working in this area.' "

19. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    More bad news - its getting to be an "international incident". Sepp Blatter is stepping into the fray:

http://tinyurl.com/rbc2

20. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got a sinking fear of a 9 month ban as was awarded against Bosnich.

Ugh.

Joleon Lescott? Michael Dawson?

21. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    taken from 4thegame.com today

22. Pinesol13

Pinesol13 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    NY
    jeez...

I really hope it was just an honest mistake on Rio's part. He is playing very well this season, and any sort of ban would absolutely suck.

23. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    There has been a delay in the charges the FA are bringing Rio up on. Now what happens if he gets a huge sentance, like a one year ban? Can he not play any soccer at all, or just with clubs that fall under the control of the FA? Would it be possible for him to go to another, far off, league to keep himself sharp?

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think FIFA would back up any domestic bans imposed. So, unless there is a professional league not under FIFA, he would be SOL.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States