Rio drug test

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by RobB, Oct 6, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I know the NFL regards a missed drug test as a failure, I guess we are lucky the FA doesn't have the same policy.

2. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ugh... Rio has now been left out of the England squad due to missing the test.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon Taylor:

I feel bad for Rio for missing the the England - Turkey match, but I'm frankly more concerned over any suspension period he must face and how that affects United.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's just pretty stupid of him. He has no excuses.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Me too. If there is no suspension because of this, I bet SAF isn't too upset with Rio not playing.

6. van_da_man

van_da_man Member

Aug 4, 2003
    UK
    apparently he forgot to go for the drug test...as he was moving house

7. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Ah man...

There should be someone in every major sports organization whose main job is to see to it that athletes don't mess up for stupid reasons. He should call every player the day before the drug test and be like "your ass better be at the clinic tomorrow". Better yet, he should just take the drug test for them. :D

8. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Agreed. He deserves a suspension, IMO. Otherwise it sets a precedent that anyone "forgetting" to take their test is A-OK.

9. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    BBC has an interesting picture display about what players go thru when taking a drug test. Its amusing to say the least:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ - you have to choose that you are in the UK to see it. The link is right next to the the Rio story

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captain Becks

From soccernet:

Well done, Beckham.

11. Ticles

Ticles New Member

May 26, 2003
    England
    -----------------------------
    United had fought desperately to stop the FA from excluding Ferdinand from the squad.

And speculation arose that United had threatened to withdraw all their players in protest.

When asked about that possibility at Tuesday's news conference, Eriksson said: "Let's hope not. That would be even worse."

------------------------------

ah, good ol sven, master of the obvious :)

12. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What a C*ck up

The FA does.

This affair does not reflect well on anybody. In the past the FA have kept such stories secret until after a hearing.

From an England point of view it’s probably the right decision for him to miss the game. Don’t want to give Turkey any legal options if we beat them.

He apparently realised later that day and phoned the testers but none were available, for a retest.

The FA needs to revise their procedures to make sure this will not happen again.

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Captain Becks

Ahh... the pony-tailed Spaniard punked out after all:

;)

14. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Re: Ah man...

wow, I would be really surprised if there isn't someone who's supposed to be on top of these sort of things. it sounds a bit weak to say you 'forgot', even if it's true.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that ticks me off is the fact that once Rio realized he had forgotten to report for the test he phoned and came back to the grounds to be test - only two hours after his scheduled test. United phoned up for the testers to come back but they did not return for two days. I would have limo'd Rio to the FA so he could piss on their front door that night!

16. simonc

simonc New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
  17. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That would have been very amusing!!!

18. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "Well done, Beckham"

Not so. Anyway, it doesn't matter if a City player didn't get a suspension or not. Rio's suspension is due to him missing a drug test and the punishment of that is that he won't be a representative of his country for a match.

19. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
  20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it doesn't bother me because they have a certain solidarity here, as opposed to a split between the players. This can only help team morale, IMO.

21. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    point taken, but if they walk out then England is disqualified from Euro 2004, aren't they? s*&tty situation all around. maybe it will bring the squad together though. Talk about adversity. First of all playing in the cauldron of Instanbul. Then the rape case. Then the Owen injury. Now the Rio drug test brouhaha. I predict that England is going to smash the Turks. But that's just my opinion.

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Rio's urged his teammates not to boycott. This was inevitable, and allows the team to show their support for him whilst still demonstrating their anger at the FA.

24. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Palios? Could that be Turkish? ;)