Rimando's back in town?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by pbsharp, Feb 23, 2007.

1. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
  2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys do realize that all of this has already been posted in at least two other threads right? Don't really think we need a third.

4. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, sorry. I didn't realize that the Goff link about Rimando had been posted in the Garlick and news/rumors/gossip threads until after I posted it in this one.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all good in the hood baby.

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Rimando deserves his own thread anyways...

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    ...He is that good a player.

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This post is not intended as trolling. But the unspoken question that no-one seems to be talking about is: what did RSL have to give up to get Rimando back? While basic theory would be that you gave up what got in the first place (a 4th round developmental pick), the reality is that RSL dealt him in a buyer's market (you needed to deal him, seeing him as surplus, TFKAM already had 2 veteran GKs) and then reacquired him in a seller's market (where TFC is interested in Conway and Garlick just retired). I wonder if the RSL front-office or Ellinger is willing to say what they gave up to get Rimando?

Also, one small Rimando tidbit--keep him away from his dogs. Twice he's suffered injuries b/c of dogs (once breaking a hand to punch through a car window to get to dogs locked inside on a hot day, another time rolling his ankle to avoid his dog that he was walking).

9. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen him play. How does he compare to Garlick?

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    His feet aren't flat on the ground. Seems like a step up to me.
    In all reality, I've never seen him play either. Anyone want to fill us in on his quality?

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's a better keeper than Garlick, in that he doesn't have a weak quadrant (where he has trouble stopping shots). My only concern is, he seems to have the same issue where he doesn't like to come out for crosses....with the 3-5-2 we're going to see lots of crosses so I'm "crossing" my fingers that Rimando can improve that aspect of his game.

But I haven't seen him play a ton, so maybe a DCU fan can help us out?

12. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    He's short for a keeper...and, as already mentioned, weak on crosses. (yes, DJ weak).

He is a great, quick shot stopper however, and is known for being a wonderful locker room presence.

13. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Oh no, he likes to come out for crosses...he just tends to whiff at them. That's really his only weakness - it's a pretty big one, but he's a great shot stopper (surprisingly good at stopping pks), and he's already won one ring. At the very least, he's as good as Garlick - probably better at this point. He's also a really nice guy and a class act: there were never any of the "Scotty Pepper" - "Joe Bazooka" cheap shots via the media last year when Perkins took over as DC's #1.

14. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. An excellent shot stopper. He's very quick, has good hands, excellent reaction time.

2. He's capable of having some monster games, games where he just stands on his head when his team is being outplayed and keeps you in the game.

3. He's short. Unlike Countess who tends to stay rooted to the line, Rimando will definitely come out (both on crosses and breakaways). But he does tend to punch rather than catch and if I was coaching against him, I'd tell my team to force him to make decisions on air-balls and crosses. He can get up and get to the corners to stop shots and headers. But in a crowd in the air, he's definitely weak.

4. Great teammate and great locker-room presence. That doesn't mean "doesn't cause problems and behaves." It means guys really like being around him. Go to the Washington Post website and check out Dan Steinberg's "The Sports Bog". He's got a hilarious series on a group of people trying to "assassinate" Rimando with water pistols, they camped outside his house to get him, and the escapades of Rimando to defeat them (including posting pictures of himself outside his house near famous DC landmarks relaxing. The past 2 years when injuries cost him his starting job and then Perkins kept it afterwards, Rimando could have sulked or been a punk and he absolutely wasn't. Just look at how he handled the original deal to RSL where he asked for PT, DCU wanted a #2 GK with a lower cap number so he was dealt to RSL and Ellinger than says "Seitz is my #2, I got Rimando to trade him." No bad mouthing of Ellinger or RSL at anytime (even after he was dealt to TFKAM). He doesn't trash teammates or point fingers after losses or mistakes.

5. Good on PKs. DCU won the championship in 2005 b/c of his PK save of Dempsey's PK in the Eastern Finals.

6. I think his distribution is good, other DCU fans disagree. Earlier in his career, he wasn't a good organizer (ie: not vocal enough) so that would lead to some defensive mistakes. Pope of course has played with Rimando the one year both were in DC with Ray Hudson.

7. His wife is a twin and the two sisters were/are both pro soccer players (last WUSA team they were on was the Washington Freedom). Both are cute and I think his sister-in-law is still single.

All in all, I think he's a big upgrade over Garlick. He's not as strong in the air as Garlick but that wasn't something Scott was that great at anyway. I think his distribution is better and his shot-stopping is significantly better. When I think of the 3 best shot stoppers in MLS, I'd list them (in order) as: Joe Cannon, Kevin Hartmann, Nick Rimando.

15. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
    repped

16. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info, JoeW!

17. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Rimando for original 4th round Supp Draft pick + 4th round SuperDraft pick in '08.

18. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's his Wikipedia bio... and here's his wife's bio, FWIW.

Looks like the Wikipedia entry needs some updating. :)

19. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this news does not really excite me at all.

good we got the position filled though.

I say we trade him once more back to RBNY and then recall him. Waddayasay?

20. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    There was a short time frame there (about 5 years ago) when I thought Rimando was second in line for the future of the national team job behind Howard. Granted this lasted a very short time and I didn't have a view into who any up-and-comers might be in college or younger (the guzans and seitz's of the world).

He really does have excellent reflexes, I used to think they were actually better than howards. He jumps extremely well and gets to the ground very quickly. Those are two things that help shot stopping. His positioning is generally pretty good.

His hands aren't great, and he is a little weak in the air on crosses (as everyone has said). In his earlier days I thought this would improve with experience, but it didn't really and this seemed to move him out of contention for any national team stuff.

To me, it really seems like the last few years have been strange for him. Perkins displaced him and played great, but I really think Rimando SHOULD be starting in this league. I don't think we are getting a second-hand goalkeeper here. It is a definite upgrade to Garlick as long as he is in form.

21. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Calling Seahawkdad-- what's your take on Rimando?
    (Forgive me if you already gave us your take during the Adu trade news a while back.)

22. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
  23. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Just a few more comments/observations about Rimando.
    1) He's very good with his feet. Balls passed back to him are safe and are usually distributed well.
    2) He can be beaten from distance (see MLS Cup '04). I think this is more a lack of concentration, rather than poor positioning.
    3) It's been said before, but I'd like to emphasize, he's a really nice guy and a great team mate.
    4) Wife and sister-in-law are more that cute. I'd say very attractive. If I weren't an old married man, I'd say hot.:)

asitis

24. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a good acquisition.

If you look at it like we gave him away for beans and then paid a 4th Round superdraft pick to get him back, it seems like Kries expansion draft deja-vu. It's a bitter pill to swallow once in a preseason, let alone twice.

Ok, let's assume for a moment that RSL and Ellinger had absolutely NO idea that Garlick was considering retirement. That left them with 4 GKs so they basically gave Rimando away for the MLS equivalent of a handshake and a smile.

However, he's still a decent keeper in MLS and perhaps even an upgrade from Garlick. But Garlick was the incumbent (sic) and we know how that works at RSL. With Garlick's improptu retirement it left RSL in a bind with only weeks to go before the season opener.

So, given the current desperation, I think to get a keeper of Rimando's caliber for a 4th round SD pick is not a bad deal. Not a long-term solution but a reasonable fix for this year.

25. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Does he sit on his butt, or kick the post after he is scored on. If not, I think he is an upgrade.