Ridiculous Question about Shin Guards

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by P.W., Feb 23, 2015.

1. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    OK, I recognize this is a stupid question, but when do kids switch from the ankle/shin guards to just shin pads?

My kid is only 9 (4th grade), but we have all kinds of drama over these stupid shin guards. The elastic band that goes around his calf rolls, pinches or otherwise annoys him and it can take upwards of 10 minutes to get them just right so that they aren't hurting. Before you ask, yes - he's being extra sensitive to the perceived discomfort. I'm sure 99% of the population would say they are fine.

We've resorted to placing part of a paper towel in between the elastic band and his skin and that seems to be a tolerable solution, bit it seems switching to a shin pad would be better because even the paper towel trick is finicky.

I asked another parent about switching and she looked at me like I had two heads saying that they absolutely need the ankle protection and she wouldn't think about switching for a long time.

Also, since this is my first kid to play soccer - how do they keep those shin pads in place - does the sock offer just enough pressure? Do you have to put a wrap around them? I have no idea but unless it's tantamount to child abuse I'm ready to ditch these stirrup type shin guards.

mckersive repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    My u9 and u16 use simple guards that slide into the sock - which keeps it in place.

I see many kids use tape around the outside of the sock to help keep the guard in place however. They sell this tape at all soccer stores.

I have never had a discussion such as the one you are experiencing.

3. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son graduated from the ankle guard combo shin guards around u10-u11. As a parent, it was my instinct to give him more protection than not. I haven't particularly noticed whether he misses the protection afforded by the ankle guards, but he definitely enjoys feeling more mobile.

As for the shin guards staying in place, we have experimented with shin guard liners, tape and now a Nike shinguard holder (neoprene with velcro). Shin guard liners work well, but additional thing to launder and lose. Tape works, but it cumbersome. The Nike holder seems the best (especially when positioned at the bottom of the guard (half on the guard and half on the leg itself).

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My son moved to a slip-in shin guards w/sleeves to hold in place around 9 years old…and he was one the last of his peers to make the switch…

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. tkpeterson12

tkpeterson12 Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter is a U10 and we switched her relatively recently to just the slip in shin guards. Initially she was using the sleeve that came with to keep them in but she complained that the sleeve was so tight that she could barely get it on her foot. She has since tried them without the sleeve (sock only) and has had no complaints. Every now and then I see her adjusting the shin guard, but in the 4-5 months since the switch she has not once complained about the lack of ankle protection.

6. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    My U10 switched to the simple slide-ins and hasn't looked back. Usually the sock holds it in, but you can also wrap pre-wrap around the length of it before putting the sock on and that will hold it in place and be comfortable as well. I've seen Michael Bradley do that in a locker room scene on a US Soccer video.

7. Chucaro

Chucaro New Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Agreed, the best solution for young kids. at 5 son was using the Adidas Shin/Ankle guards.. now at 11 he has been using Slide in shin guards with Nike Velcro Shin Straps.. I think he likes the swag factor.... with the diffent colors, etc

8. czarboom

czarboom New Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    There are a few types, in sock, molded ones that form to the shin, and have a sleeve that keeps them in place, 3 strap, 2 strap etc.

The biggest question is age of the child, size, sex, and position. Meaning, you would not want to shell out a ton of money for the child to hit a growth spurt next summer? Girls on average physically grow till around 14 yrs old, boys 18 to 20.
    The position matters as well, is your child a keeper, or Center Back, they will need the most protection you can find. Why? because they will be involved in tackles and a lot of them.
    The child a Attacking Mid, and involved in low contact? maybe then some slide in ones.

The slide in / molded ones, are held in place by a compression sleeve or a sock. Also tape is a must (think hockey stick tape or they type you used when you jacked up your ankle in High School). These work great but NOT for all positions. Something I learned my first yr in college as a Keeper, using molded shin guard. (couldn't walk for a week).

Overall, when they are young error on safety, as they grow let skill, position and aggression be your judge.

good luck

9. Interista Navzdy

Interista Navzdy New Member

Inter Bratislava
    Netherlands
    Mar 10, 2019
    I would not be afraid to switch now. At 9, your kid does not need to have ankle protection anymore. if you are still afraid, buy him/her ankle cleats to provide some protection to the ankle. Check this about soccer shin guards sizes as they differ from brand to brand.

10. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    My favorite youth players wear their shin guards outside their socks.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  11. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Haha! This was my post from four years ago - man I was pulling my hair out with those stupid shin guards that always "felt weird" and "hurt". Ugh. Made the switch and never looked back.

Bought his little brother (currently u10) the storelli shin pad sleeves starting at u8 - those are much more comfortable than the classic stirrup shin guards, but provide a bit of padding from errant cleating/kicks. No complaints about those.

12. dehoff03

dehoff03 Member

Apr 22, 2016
    The struggle is real. I bought my daughter (now U11) the Storelli sleeves, both with and without the ankle protection. She liked them for a couple months, then complained that they’re too warm. Now she wears slip ins with a light sleeve (UA) or a pair of Nike Youth Charge (cheap at about $10) minutes that she used to complain about the stirrup portion.

My U9 son doesn’t care so he wears the Storellis now.

13. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the stirrup style with no socks. Those are the true ballers.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  14. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    It's purely a personal choice and there's no magic age for changing type of guard. If the current shin guards irritate your son, change them now.

Slip in shin guards with a protective sheath or sports tape are fine for any age and will probably suit him better. Basically use whatever he finds most comfortable from a reputable sports supplier (i.e Adidas, Puma, Nike).

15. Scoots

Scoots New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    My u-12 has been using the G-Form Pro-S shin guards for about a year and loves them. Says he can't even tell he has shin guards on. They are sleeves that he pulls on which have a flexible gel like guard that hardens on impact. Odor resistant and machine washable so they do not get funky smelling.