Ricky van Wolfswinkel

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by Força_Portugal, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hope he turns out good.

any info about him..

3. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yet none of the top three Dutch clubs were interested in him. And you might want to check how many of those goals were penalties. Don´t get me wrong, the boy´s talented. I highly doubt if moving abroad before maturing in his home league is right for him though.

5. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Still young, still a lot of upside. Easy to discredit a player w/o explaining why no team wanted to sign him. Does he have an attitude problem?

Welcome to Sporting, Wolfslayer!

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Anyone think he was Moreno's plan B?

Either way, obscure signings so far. Let's hope it translates to something more on the field as I want to see Sporting doing well this season.

7. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    5.4million for a Plan B?

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Probably not, who knows?

He certainly seems to be a striker while Moreno was more of a FW. However at this point I'm not too sure what Sporting is really looking for upfront.

Anyway, here's a vid of him...johan wasn't joking :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9fU0MWriU"]YouTube - ‪ricky van wolfswinkel doelpunten‬‏[/ame]

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    how can you even question this move instead of Moreno...

moreno was trying to squeeze every cent out of sporting, hell he went over to tijuana in mexico. that says it all. no ambition to play in europe, just wants to make money and Blast rails down in tijuana.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Sporting had good luck with Dutch players before, hopefully the trend will continue.

11. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Who says I'm insinuating anything good of him either?

Actually I had a bad feeling about him so it was good that the deal fell. Getting a little fed up with the south american trend lately so this is a nice change of pace.

I am worried that 5 and half million euros might not justify this type of purchase (when FC Porto snags James and Falcao around the same price). At this time they're all obscure, more than usual when it comes bringing young foreign prospect.
    Just pray the board is going into the right direction. I might be an outsider, but I am disliking news about this Arias (when Sporting has J. Pereira and 2 juicy potential RBs in the making) or Cortés (when Benfica has Miguel Vítor who is certainly much more than decent). It's unrelated, yes, as Sporting certainly needs firepower upfront and barely any portuguese is up to the match, but I certainly hope the likes of Wilson Eduardo and Salomão get a shot next season.

Conclusion, if you're going to bet on unproven or unheard youngsters, the very least look at what you have first. It might turn out to be a much better option. Heck, I'm pretty sure in some cases they already are.

Remember what Godinho told the press. He has 100 million euros to invest. 60 are to restructure anything not football. 10 to restructure football and 30 for new acquisitions.

30 million euros. Have that in mind. That's certainly enough to bring known young players if the plan is to build a team for middle-term glory.

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    gotta agree with CP , 5+ mil is too much , brings back tears thinking of Ping-no-gol

13. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rocky and Bullwinkle

...for some reason I had to say it.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I understand, but

its always the same song and dance from rival fans. its ok for your teams to buy talented foreign phenoms, but its not ok for Sporting to do it. Were supposed to create players for our national team while you guys win everything and laugh at us all the time and talk about your 90 titles or whatever it is when half of them are super cups, and your european cups. Oh lets all laugh at Sporting, they suck balls they never win. omg they are buying players, they should be producing players so they can go abroad, fail and then PDC can buy them so that we have more then 2 potuguese players on our starting XI who dont celebrate titles with cape verde flags!

Moreno is crap, im glad he didnt come. James Rodriguez is good, Moreno no. Van Winkeldorf whatever, hes been tracked by Naples, Arsenal, liverpool, Ajax in the past. hes already been capped by the Dutch NT (world cup finalists 3 times because they actually know how to produce STRIKERS not like Portugal)

Were not gonna sit around with Saleiros while you guys have guys ripping goals left right and centre.

we are SPORTING and its time to win, we will have players from our academy who will play. they will play in goal (Patricio) midfield (andre santos) and defense (carrico) and other places. one place they wont play though is striker. Portugal, even Sporting just cant produce any striker. you want to see Wilson Eduardo succeed... the guy had like what 3 goals this season. hell never become anything big hes already what 20 21. yannick djalo is 25 and still cant even hit double figures in our league. Van Whatever is already possibly better than all of Portugal`s strikers at age 22. Real striker producing countries have their strikers already able to hit double figures by the time they are 21. Netherlands can, spain can, italy, brazil, arg, even colombia can by the looks of it but not Portugal for some stupid reason.

If Wilson eduardo is any good (and lets not kid ourselves here he isnt) hell play, Saleiro is already proving to be a failure. decent technique but doesnt score and hes slow as a turtle. hes also 25 years old so he should be doing alot better at his age.

Sporting is still the best academy in Portugal, but the fact is the last couple years have been sorely lacking. maybe Bettencourt and costinha`s stench of failure corrupted all levels of our organization.

other players that may be promoted next season: Joao Goncalves (RB), Zezinho (mid), Renato Neto ( i think mid), Andre Martins (mid).

Ppl are mad because Sporting is trying to change things. the goal of the sistema is to keep Sporting in mediocrity so that porto and benfica can win everything and steal our players. we get screwed out of so many titles. the media is against us, refs, because they know that if there was `really À VERDADE DESPORTIVA like our president has been asking for then Sporting would regain its rightful status as the top team in Portugal.

also, those media rumours are mostly BS. they never said we would sign carrillo and we did, they never said we would soign van W____ and we did. The Media mostly manipulates news to keep pressure against sporting and destabalize our club, and also ruin our signings.

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If he scores 10 or more goals, then what? The Price is STEEP but you get what you give. It's a gamble!

From what I read, he's a pure striker. Add Salomao & Carillo, this could be an exciting team to watch.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm telling you.... He's a beast! Mark my words. And don't give up on Saleiro, he is still young.

We need to utilize our academy. Likes such as Amado, Rosado & Fonte are loaned out every year. Why not let them win a spot?

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    eduardo looks like another yannick to me, dont get me wrong I wish that he does well and succeeds for us

Fonte is no longer an SCP player his contract ended.

18. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Interested to see how he'll do. Seen as the largest Dutch attacking talent at the start of the season, had a great start with a incredibly high amount of goals and a hattrick vs Celtic but got injured against Liverpool. While he was injured Luuk de Jong has taken over his spot as most talented striker in the Netherlands.

Decent player, works often hard, misses a lot of chances but creates a lot by standing at the right spot. Great penalty taker and physically weak. Sometimes placed on the bench by FC Utrecht coach, but I thought that was a disgrace. That coach has been fired. Not the best FC Utrecht player though, Belgium winger Mertens and young Dutch midfielder Strootman are better.

He always tries to remain playing football in the front of the attack, you can't play kick-&-rush with him. He would function very well in a 433 system. Reason why no Dutch team has been interested in him is the transfer fee. Only Ajax has the money to buy him if they want, but they go for a cheaper and younger striker from AZ Alkmaar.

1 person likes this.
  19. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Nah, I believe he has the potential to be better than that. He actually scores goals. :D

As for your reply, man, I'm a boavisteiro as you know so I think that post was directed to others?

Benfica make their fair share of mistakes like the case of Gaitán or Roberto last season. FC Porto occasionaly at a lesser extent like Pedigrer. I'm not saying that Wolf is going to be another but I wonder if there aren't better prospects rated outside for that cash. I hope he does develop into a good striker for you, I'm ranting about top portuguese clubs policy as of late though, not his skills.
    As for portuguese players the cases of João Gonçalves, Wilson or Salomão should be explored. Definitely. If your board finds an obscure foreign replacement for either one of them with relatively the same age then they're doing things wrong and you can start to worry. Heck, Benfica is turning to be a prodigy club on that, it doesn't excuse Sporting to do the same thing.

20. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't understand the transfer to be honest but good luck to him.
    He's a decent striker for his age... but he has to play to improve.

21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My bad. Forgot for a second. you should list your team as Boavista so noone gets confused. Should have known better because you actually possess toe ability to make coherent and logical arguments and form rational thoughts which Portistas are incapable of.

anyways I agree with you on that if we have our own prospects in certain positions shouldnt be looking so hard to sign others if we have good options here.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I would...but it's not on the list. :(

23. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Idk how good he is but he has an awesome name! :D

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm liking this kid so far. Every time he scores, we win. It's all good. Good pick-up .

Even Dutch coach, Aad de Mos, has compare him to Marco van Basten.

25. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    FWIW MvB suggested RvW during the election in March.