Richie Partridge?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Leto, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    The forgotten rising man of Irish football.

Is there any sign of him making a breakthrough at Liverpool? He's been on the bench for a few Premiership games, but at a time when Liverpool's main weakness is a lack of width, then a winger who can't get a game doesn't seem to be wanted. A couple of years ago he was being hyped up as the next big thing, along with Robbie Keane and Damien Duff - there were reports when Keegen was in charge of England that he saw Partridge training with the Liverpool seniors, and enquired about his availability for the English U-21's. He needs a move soon or else he'll disappear from the radar altogether.

Ronnie O'Brien's another one - signed by Juventus from Boro a couple of seasons ago; he made a few appearences for them in cup, and European games, but he's spent most of his time on loan at Aberdeen and Serie C clubs. They offered him an extended contract this summer, but he wanted first-team football, so he's now signed for Dallas Burn, in the MLS, where he's apparently making waves, and is already a favourite with the fans. Another flying winger, coincidentally.

Sorry, Butler's emergence as our second (potentially) top class winger just got me thinking about the ones who could easily be there with them....

2. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    It's just a bit late for Partridge now, it's a pity, most Liverpool fans know of him and we're very excited about him but he never got his chance. Ronnie O'Brien has been subbed on five times for the Dallas Burn, hasn't started yet, and has scored three times already, but I can't see Mick calling up a MLS player realistically. Also, he plays as an attacking central mid fielder for Dallas from what I've read.

3. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    True enough - considering that he ignored Phil Babb while he was winning the double at the heart of Sporting Lisbon's defence (winning the Best Foreigner in the league award along the way). I'm not particularly a fan of his, but I like people to be given a chance if they've earend it, which Babb did. I can't see him flying out to Texas anytime soon. Hopefully O'Brien can get a move back to Europe, or even to one of the more high-profile MLS clubs.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Leto, he could be proclaimed God of USA for his exploits in the MLS but he wont be called up by McCarthy until he plays in England, as seen by him ignoreing Babb and forcing Breen to stay in England.

That's just the way McCarthy works.

5. Pat Mustard

Pat Mustard New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ireland
    Partridge

It was Michael Foley-Sheridan that Keegan enquired about, not Partridge. MFS is in the L'pool reserves and was part of the Irish team that got to the last four in the recent Euro U/19 champs. He'll probably have to go on loan soon, he's 19 and this is a big season.

Partridge is too old now, next stop for him will be Shels or similar.

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Foley's a striker isn't he? Partridge is still only 21 or 22, so if he can get a move somewhere where he'll get games then there's still hope....it's a shame to see such a talent go to waste. He's our version of Litmanen :D