Richard “Richie” Ledezma at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I think the most likely outcome is that he starts the season in the bench, gets increasing time in US Open Cup, Leagues Cup, and in rotation throughout the season. If he makes himself useful he will get more minutes.

He will be able to show the best of his game with NYCFC so if there’s anything there it will show up. If he’s really good he could be a starter by the playoffs.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Are those Belgium and Dutch teams better than NYCFC?

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PSV does not waste a bench slot on someone they don't believe can contribute if called on - esp if they are not young, home-grown and perhaps untapped value.. Why on earth would they carry him on the teamsheet? So he's not sad?

Unfortunately for Ledezma, he is at a team that is stacked with midfield talent. and he had some inopportune injuries. Is he sure to pan out as a "top 4" ered level player? Of course not. Is it likely PSV are such poor judges of talent they are writing him into the sheet, and not sending him to play JPSV, which he legit could, when he's not Ered-starter quality?

The reality is a team can play 10 outfield players at any one time. It's a bit perplexing he has not gotten late game minutes, but that's not PSV's mission. Their mission is to catch/stay above. AZ, Ajax and Feynie...

I got no idea Ledezma's top, but guys who know footie much more than I rate him enough to stick him on the bus.

4. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Better than 2021-mid 2022 NYCFC? Probably not. Better than 2023 NYCFC? Probably.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Still should be close. I think they don't have time for him this season and want to see where he is, where they are in August. Also playing well in MLS is something that routinely brings offers from BL/Serie A/Ligue 1 now.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows… a Club Brugge and arguably an AZ might be but then the question is…..if you’re good enough for those then you should be good enough for PSV, right?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Guys make it to the fringes of the first team at clubs like PSV all the time and never make it in professional football or only make it at a fairly low level. That's how it goes.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #2033 freisland, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Whom specifically has had Ledezma's number of bench appearances (esp non-home grown Dutch) at his age and never made it in professional footie?

While there are, of course, going to be some, the majority are guys like Kenny Tete, who couldn't quite stick as a starter at Ajax as a 22-23 yo (or Bert Traore - who was on the bench at AV 19/20 then finally broke through at Ajax and then moved to ligue 1) - went to League 1, took 2 seasons or so to hit his stride and is now starting and starring for Fulham. (I know the Ajax guys better than PSV, but the Lightbulbs have similar players.) Which is not to say Ledezma will, for sure, make good. But the chance of him only making it "at a fairly low level" unless our definitions are very different, without chronic injury issues, is pretty low.

9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I mean, that’s a totally unreasonable request and we both know it.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So... it hasn't happened but this time it will?

I mean, I can name a good number of 21-23 yo who were bench players at Ajax/PSV/AZ who had perfectly good to really great footie careers. You should be able to provide a decent list of those "never made" or "low levelers."

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  11. Yup, like Amrabat bencher at Feyenoord as a 22 yo, but now was wanted by Barca and Chelsea.

freisland repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. It certainly happens that some top Dutch team prospects don't pan out to the level/promise they initially show, but the idea that a significant number of PSV/Feyenie/AZ/Ajax young prospects they bother carrying on the game-day squad (barring injury) don't ever become decent pros simply runs counter to a huge amount of available data.

Could Ledezma be one of the exceptions? Of course.

Is there much to suggest he will be one of the very few total flops? Not to my eye.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, but maybe there's no route to PT for you at PSV because there are 3-4 others who are just that bit better/more mature than he is and the offers for them don't meet PSV's valuation. Meanwhile, AZ say, have a guy who's ruptured an ACL and another who's lost form and are light in Ledezma's position, so they loan him in and things click - or not.

Personally, I doubt it'd be a loan to one of the Eredivisie's top 3 - he hasn't shown that he definitely does belong at that level - but the likes of Utrecht or Herrenveen would make plenty of sense.

twoolley repped this.
  14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    PSV bought Erick Gutierrez from Pachuca when he was 23, I think. If Ledezma truly does blow the doors down in MLS, I don't see any reason he can't jump back into the picture at PSV.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ledezma is going back to MLS it better be to start.....going back to MLS to be on the bench would basically end his international career, imo

(and I think he's plenty good enough to start in MLS, fwiw.....but, like everywhere, fit matters)

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It will also not be a shock if he does well in MLS and also decides to stay. That’s not a terrible option.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I keep wondering if this is the next chapter of the Yanks Abroad boom - quality players returning to / staying in MLS as paychecks increase as quality of competition continues to improve - at what point does it only make sense to go to Europe for:

1) the guys who can actually command a huge paycheck
    2) the guys who are looking for that early career development boost
    3) guys who can get material playing time in a top 5 league or a top team in Portugal/Netherlands/Belgium/Scotland

and if you're not in one of those categories, MLS should be your best option, or at least very competitive.

We may be years away from this peak, but I think there will be a peak "Yanks Abroad" moment.

freisland repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Especially the more MLS transfers to top clubs. If you can get their from Philly or LA or Vancouver, why not start your career where you have a better chance at PT and your friends/family get to watch (for the domestically raised players.)

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ledezma makes the bench against Sevilla in the Europa League, trailing 3-0 on aggregate from the ugly road leg for which he was not on the bench.

freisland repped this.
  20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    DNP, eliminated despite winning 2-0 and cutting the aggregate to 2-3 late in stoppage time.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's battling Timmy Chandler for most minutes spent on the bench this season. Sadly they're at opposite ends of their careers

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Another disappointing DNP. PSV led 3-0 at 55', and yes, quickly gave one back, but held on for a comfortable 3-1 victory. Three subs used. Did I say disappointing? Yes, disappointing, even given our lower-than-low expectations for playing time at this point.

24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Surprised by only using three subs, as well as the minimal rotation from the team over last weekend, especially with a relatively tough game coming up on Sunday. But they were so dominant today maybe they weren't burning all that much energy?

25. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I haven’t heard anything specific but at this point I would be surprised if he does end up with NYCFC. With Sands’ return there’s really only two roster spots available on the senior roster, and the development of another 10 option within the roster means that Ledezma is a bit of a luxury option. There’s been no news on that front for 3 weeks.