Richard “Richie” Ledezma at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they want him for their reserves, is that really something to be in awe about?

also, relative to the wider world of global soccer - i cannot wait for the day when the average american player is not "gee, golly, shucks" about playing on a big team or on a big stage - and just expects it to happen.

2. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    No one would pay the wages they’re paying if they viewed him as a reserves player. He is likely being viewed as a reserves player for 12-18 months and then a high upside potential first teamer. Not sure what’s so confusing.

russ, zlebmada, TarHeels17 and 2 others repped this.
  3. It was a back heel kick.

4. What do you expect? He moves right into the first team selection while he hasnot done anything yet on an adult competition level?
    To mention something, the Mexican national team player Érick Gutiérrez was bought and he was in the selection for 4 matches without minutes on the pitch and 7 matches as a sub with around 20 minutes and only playing full in the 15th match of the season. That's an experienced seasoned professional.
    And you make such a silly remark about a kid that obviously has talent, but also hasnot done anything yet to make a claim like you wrote in your post for a first team selection. If anything he has to prove he can rise to the Young selection and given prior examples I gave PSV doesnot hesitate to move a prospect that showed he's ready up the chain. But there still is need to put proof on the table.

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #180 adam tash, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    i'm not attacking him or his place @ PSV - or the plan for him.

my point is about expectations and goals (and that they should be higher for american players in general)....and the surprise that PSV was interested.

It might be SURPRISING if PSV wanted to put him straight into the first team 11 right away - THAT would be "surprising" -

but if they want him for the reserves - the u19 - and then the young team - that IS NOT SURPRISING.

it's great that he's there and i think he will be very successful!

there are american youth players littered among the top european academies all over europe at the moment...it's not a special case when another signs for the u19s at a big club anymore.

A top american prospect moving to europe should honestly expect that scenario as the bare minimum in my opinion.

And honestly - when you look @ players like pulisic, mckennie etc - it shouldn't even be a surprise if the player moving to europe as a teen has a shot right away at the first team - let alone the u19s, imo.

when the USA gets there - it will be ready to compete with everyone.

I just hope for his sake that he doesn't count his eggs before they hatch and realizes he is a long way off from the first team if he's starting out with the u19s.

6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The earlier a kid’s 18th bday is, the more advantageous it is when signing in Germany or the Netherlands.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #183 adam tash, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    and?

my point is not that ledezma should be going straight into PSV first team (although that would be nice)

just that a huge % of players who sign to u-whatever at a big club never play for that first team or establish themselves with that squad - so its nothing to be surprised about or something to feel like you've "made it" yet.

what % of american teens who sign with a euro club establish themselves at that club? lee nguyen @ PSV was never really given a run of games there, for one example - I'm sure they told him all kinds of stories about playing for the first team before he signed, too!

I sound like I'm hating on him - but I'm really not.

it's a small point and doesnt deserve this many posts - but i'm just saying the perspective of the moves and clubs and careers etc from the player side is important and could be better in general from American players. I think the off-the-field stuff has a huge impact on career outcomes and is not a strong suit for the American player pool in general.

8. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Maybe I’m being harsh but it almost seems like you’re making up problems? I don’t think Americans make Dutch u-19 teams and think “oh yeah I made it no more work to do now” did Richie imply that his work is done?

Nor do I think lack of confidence/ambition is an American problem. I’m sure you can find instances where that is the case. But I could do the same with any nationality.

Speaking of other nationalities. Even local young players in each league will often say “gee, golly, shucks” to their debuts and opportunities. It’s literally everywhere. I don’t see a young English bloke grateful for his first team appearance and think “wow no confidence”

Then you mention Chris Richards earlier in the thread. Wasn’t he playing for a tiny team in Birmingham like 2 years ago? And he shouldn’t be surprised/humbled by playing for Bayern? I just hate this argument because it implies mental weakness for people you do not even know. I bet when Richards was picked up by Dallas he was surprised/humbled. But it didn’t stop him from improving and interesting Bayern.

9. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Lee was also 20 when he signed for PSV. Two years of development is a pretty huge difference.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see what you're saying - i'm trying to make the point without coming across as critical -but maybe I didn't do a good job.

For example, I could see how the USMNT played the recent game vs England that they were in awe of them - and I think it had something to do with how they see the english players and how they play on EPL teams etc - the mentality of the team and how individual players see themselves relative to world football has a big impact on how the national team ends up playing, imo.

I know it is easier said than done - and i myself would struggle with the same issues if in that situation - but i'm just saying that I cant wait for the day when us soccer players arent the ones in awe or surprised about any opportunity that is front of them - b/c of what that will mean for the USMNT overall.

11. I've to support you for a part in this opinion.
    We Dutch started our march to the top in the sixties by our "arrogance" towards the rest of the world with a "we are the best" attitude and a constant infusion of that attitude from the little kids up to the youth teams till this day.
    For some times it seems ridiculous when we falter (like the last 4 years), but ultimately it always pays off and with that ridiculized team we beat the last two world champions to top the Euro League everybody was writing us off as the for sure relegation candidate.
    But our arrogance in the sixties was based on an already top league, players development and tactical high level understanding by the players.

12. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    Just gonna leave this right here...

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be foolish for him to rule out Mexico this early in his career. That’s about all you can get from that pic. His Instagram is littered with comments from all of his buddies in the US youth setup. It’s not like he’s getting a call immenintley from El Tri and switching sides. He’s just keeping his options open.

Tom Collingsworth, wixson7 and zlebmada repped this.
  14. The guy I posted the back heeled goal from has been moved permanently to the A selection (19 year old).

15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *imminently. I need to stop posting when I’m getting ready for work.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New profile at ASN:

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...-20-mid-ledezma-eager-for-breakout-in-holland

The Arizona native has been sidelined since his fall trial due to a foot injury, which also forced him out of the U.S. U-20 team for its CONCACAF Championship run. But Real Salt Lake academy product flew to the Netherlands shortly after Christmas and over the past weekend was medically cleared to play.

“It's going well,” Ledezma told ASN from Holland. “I started out with light jogging but every day it has gotten harder. I've been hitting the gym and working hard to get my fitness back up because of the injury.. They spoke with me, with the academy director, he said I should be seeing games with the U-19s and then if I am doing well, I could see games for Jong PSV. They told me to focus more on next season [for the first team]. That should be fun…[The style here] is different. They go in hard. They are playing because it's their job. They like to possess and go forward, shoot.”

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Is there a reason that he just said on his instagram live that he's not going to Poland this year?

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    ugh i hate social media sometimes

19. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

20. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The u20 World Cup is in Poland this year. Someone asked if he was excited to go and he was like "nah. I'm not going to Poland." then hinted that he's open to playing for Mexico. it was weird.

21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, how does he know he isn't going to Poland? Tab hasn't called up a roster yet.

22. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Couple reasons possibly obviously I know nothing. 1. PSV won’t release him in any case; 2. He is going to gold cup; 3. He is interested in switching to Mexico. Who knows.

He would be a hell of a talent to lose but if the kid wants to play for Mexico, he wants to play for Mexico.

To be super clear I am not saying he is going to play for Mexico just outlining possible reasons and highlighting the worst case scenario.

23. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    If it's one of those choices, I think it would have to be #1, PSV must have told him already he's not being released. It can't be #2, because if he had a guaranteed call up from USMNT or Mex for the Gold Cup, he presumably wouldn't be undecided about which to represent. And if it were #3, he probably would be going to Poland -- just with Mexico not USA.

24. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Agree that the first is by far the lost likely, with a small note to 2 he could still be undecided even if invited by Mexico (not likely).

With these 4 I am afraid that one more domino could tip the scales (Alvarez, Mendez, ledezma, llanez seems close) if one more goes to Mexico I wonder if the others don’t follow. Sorry for the fear mongering probably not reasonable but the thought of losing all four of those kids turns my stomach. Last post on that for me, as it’s off topic. Apologies for the detour.