Richard “Richie” Ledezma at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thought I had. Been wondering if it'll be a season-long loan or not, or maybe something in-between (in terms of loan flexibility). Though, history suggests that NYCFC wouldn't agree to a short-term loan.

2. That ultimately depends on the quality boost you get. If it's a big boost, do you walk away or settle for the next best thing, a shorter loan?

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ledezma really going to beat out Santi Rodriguez in the XI? Santi has looked great since rejoining. Pellegrini and Pereira are also tough competition

tomásbernal repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he is not going to start....what benefit would the move have?

I dont like this for him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know, maybe he beats out the competition for a starting job. Or maybe getting regular minutes off the bench in NY is also a positive step for him.

There needs to be a little bit of a reality check here,

In a few months, he will turn 23 and he has only 421 career first team minutes in all competitions. There just are not many clubs anywhere at a decent level where he is going to walk into a starting lineup after playing such little soccer. It’s going to be part of a process to get there. And regular minutes off the bench for NYCFC is not necessarily a bad place to start.

neems, The Irish Rover, russ and 2 others repped this.
  6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did PSV demand he sign for another year to facilitate the loan?

These big clubs seem to be so ruthless about player "development" i.e. a lot of them dont seem to care

also, there may not be many high ranking clubs where he would walk into a starting role but a lot of minutes should be a pre-req for any loan. he can sit on the bench at PSV.....(besides, there are pleny of MLS clubs he would start for, imo....so going to MLS and riding pine would be a worst-case scenario, imo)

7. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure how many teams in MLS he would start for. I have not seen him enough in recent times to make that judgment. But there is also the issue of how he would do in the daily grind. He has never once done that before.

but for arguments sake, let’s say he is good enough. He also has to be a lot better than the existing options to start because, wherever he goes, the club has no incentive to develop him.

Let’s say he’s better than Noel Buck at the Revs. The Revs are going to want to play Buck because they’ll see the reward in his development

But I think Richie will play at NYCF. It might be off the bench, but regular bench minutes are still an improvement for him. He’s not getting off the pine at PSV

The Irish Rover and tomásbernal repped this.
  8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I don’t think he will, but Santi might be even better at LW where there hasn’t been a solution so far this year. Since scoring against Chicago Pereira has looked rough, and Pellegrini is fine but hasn’t shown the ability to take over a game. There is going to be plenty of rotation as the team figures out its best attacking rotations, and with lots of young guys players are going to go in and out of form.

The minutes are there to be had. Also, watching yesterday it sure would be nice to have someone to spell Parks. Right now there’s no one who can come in and offer quality going forward from CM. They’re in danger of spreading him too thin; he’s played basically as a forward while closing out the last two games and has played every minute of the season.

gomichigan24 and adam tash repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    IMO a long-term loan means that there'll be an option-to-buy, whether explicit or not, and the loan and the contract extension are designed to boost his July/December sale price.

If they see him as a young player with progress derailed by injuries, a spring/summer fighting for PT will see him ready to contribute from the off in pre-season. If he's still in the US when the Eredivise window closes autumn window closes, he'll either be sold or loaned out again. The likes of PSV integrate a player in the winter break, it's usually because he's a major signing whose price mandates playing him

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you watch MLS? I'm surprised you dont think Ledezma plays a ton for a lot of teams. I see NYC as a harder than avg team to break into.

I dont like the loan if it isnt to actually play....and that goes for almost any player. His best plan should be working hard in pre-season at PSV this summer and breaking into the team then. I hope this loacn will still allow for that, at least.

11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2086 bshredder, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    i watch plenty of MLS and NYCFC. I don't watch a lot of Ledezma these days

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad thing is that playing a regular 20-30 minutes per game would be a big improvement in his situation.

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    It's been awfully hard to watch a lot of Ledezma unless you're an assistant coach at PSV.

gogorath, superdave, bshredder and 6 others repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Damn ESPN/BeIn Sport/whoever! :whistling:

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So would 10-15 minutes.

Or even 5 :sneaky:

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let's be honest, he's not replacing or displacing Santi or Pereira - I just don't see how that ever happens. Pellegrini looked really solid his last outing but he's not in the same category as the other two.

Agree with you about rotation and Parks. There will be minutes to be had for sure and Parks can't stay healthy so would be great if he is able to understudy there and be a backup option.

17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    The eagle has landed:

1638957775286837252 is not a valid tweet id

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What do we call a Yank abroad on loan to the Yankees?

19. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    that looks like the carrizo kid!

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    It kind of does, but Carrizo wears 29 and Ledezma here is wearing 20. Carrizo is also shorter but a little more sturdily built

Pl@ymaker and twoolley repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crank Yankers?

Or

Crank Yank Yankers?

22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    RSL loaning his MLS rights is a little weird cause in terms of squad talent I feel like he'd have a better shot at starting with RSL than NYCFC. And the fact that RSL wants to retain his rights long-term suggest we aren't ruling out having him here in the future. Maybe Richie didn't want to come back to RSL?

23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It had crossed my mind but I wasn‘t gonna say it.

24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand teams needing to protect their investment in homegrown academy players. But there should be some set amount of compensation for these sorts of situations that decreases over time the longer it’s been that they’ve been gone.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is not the forum, I guess, but for folks like me who only frequent this part of BS, it's interesting to note RL has had steadily increasing minutes in MLS, with three 20+ sub appearances and then a 60 min start. Early days, but looks like he will get some much-needed regular PT on his loan. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

eliwood, The Irish Rover and Pl@ymaker repped this.