Ricardo Valenzuela :: Metros @ United (Playoff Match 2) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Footer Phooter, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    REF: Ricardo Valenzuela

AR1: Greg Barkey
    AR2: Tom Supple
    4th: Ricardo Salazar

Referee Thread Index

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Ref for Leg 2?

No clue, but Im gonna go out on a limb and bet I dont like him ;)

3. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

I'm keeping my mouth shut again.......but I think you'll be happy. I don't understand why it's taking so long for the info to get posted in the playoffs - the assignments have been done for a while - I've known about one of the AR's for several weeks now!

4. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's Stott.

GM

5. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

Nope, it's not.....sorry to disappoint ya. ;)

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...29&content_id=17981&vkey=mlscup2004&fext=.jsp

MLS net says he will be.

D.C. UNITED v METROSTARS
    Sat., Oct. 30, RFK Stadium (7 p.m. ET; FSW; HDNet; MSG)

UNITED lead on aggregate 2-0
    Sat., Oct. 23, Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, N.J. (A: 11,161)
    METROSTARS 0
    D.C. UNITED 2 (Stewart 67; Eskandarian 88)
    R: Kevin Stott

Oh --- I see, this was last week's summary ;)

7. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

A little birdie told me that someone named Ricardo might be involved in the game.....

They would never have any referee doing back to back games with the same two teams.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

But if you keep going down the preview...

D.C. UNITED v METROSTARS
    Sat., Oct. 30, RFK Stadium (7 p.m. ET; FSW; HDNet; MSG)

UNITED lead on aggregate 2-0
    Sat., Oct. 23, Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, N.J. (A: 11,161)
    METROSTARS 0
    D.C. UNITED 2 (Stewart 67; Eskandarian 88)
    R: Kevin Stott -- HT: 0-0

LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: MET 14 wins, 55 gls; DC 20 wins, 72 gls; 2 ties
    2004 HEAD-TO-HEAD: DC 3 wins, 12 gls; MET 1 win, 7 gls; 0 ties
    MLS CUP PLAYOFFS: MET 1 win, 3 gls; DC 3 wins, 7 gls

REFEREE: Kevin Stott.
    SAR (bench): Chris Strickland; JAR (opposite): Nate Clement;
    4th: Erich Simmons

INJURY REPORT: METROSTARS - OUT: DF Tenywa Bonseu (L Achilles tendon tear), F Mike Magee (concussion); DOUBTFUL: MD Michael Bradley (R foot stress fracture)... D.C. UNITED - OUT: FW Thiago Martins (L knee surgery)
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
    SUSPENDED: none
    YELLOW PERIL: DC: Joshua Gros (5 CP); Dema Kovalenko (5 CP); Ryan Nelsen (5 CP) ... MET: Jonny Walker (4 CP)

It looks like it's the same crew. But I'm sure this is a case of MLSNet screwing the pooch. Especially when the link says "preview" for two of the four matches, and "recap" on the other two. And the other preview is actually a recap link. It's still not up on the US Soccer site yet.

Thx,

Jay!

9. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

MLSnet screwed up.....bigtime....as here are the officials from the LA match:

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy.
    SAR (bench): Nate Clement; JAR (opposite): Steve Davidson;
    4th: Kevin Stott

And, from the SJ game:

REFEREE: Terry Vaughn.
    SAR (bench): Chris Strickland; JAR (opposite): George Gansner;
    4th: Abbey Okulaja

These guys are good, but not THAT good!

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

Oh, and let's see if the announcers get the names right! This ought to be interesting, to say the least. I do know that Ricardo Salazar and Tom Supple are going to be there, because they've told me, but I don't know if Salazar is in the middle. My thought, looking at the rest of the assignments, is that he is not.

11. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Valenzuela - R
    Barkey - AR1
    Supple - AR2
    Salazar - 4th

13. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope cheatin bob's propaganda has had no effect on him and that he looks at the video to see the diving olympic tryouts being conducted at our 18!

Let 'em play -- no cards today!

GM

14. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Ricardo Valenzuela ::MetroStars @ United (Playoff Match 2) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A]

MODS - please change the thread title - as the referee is NOT Stott, it is VALENZUELA.....

REF: Ricardo Valenzuela
    AR1: Greg Barkey
    AR2: Tom Supple
    4th: Ricardo Salazar

Thank you - it'd be nice to be able to find the thread later.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Ricardo Valenzuela ::MetroStars @ United (Playoff Match 2) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A]

Got it. Wonder why MLSNet had the wrong info ...

I corrected the index too.

16. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    thank You!!!!!!!

17. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Who knows - but I sent them a nasty email.....

Those at the game, can you let us know if they're announed incorrectly too? I'm curious! I was at one Metros game where the entire wrong crew was introduced....because of the same thing on mlsnet.

Thanks again! Gotta protect my boys! ;)

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    The ref is letting some big fouls go uncalled for NY/NJ, but seems to be calling a lot on us. I like how he talks with the players before he gives a card, but can't say I'm impressed with him so far. Kovalenko just got robbed of playing in the next game, while Pope, Parke, and Zaidie are getting away with murder

19. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    The cards we picked up in this game could be our undoing this year.

Nelsen. Out. Ouch.

20. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Ricardo Valenzuela :: Metros @ United (Playoff Match 2) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A

I thought he did a decent job, except for one major issue. Carding Kovalenko for diving was pretty uncalled for. After all that went on in this series, we get the cauton for diving?!?

21. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Was it for diving? I didn't see it when it happened. I'm just curious.....

He certainly had his hands full tonight!

Oh, and by the way - I'm glad DC won! YAY!!!!!

22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was too harsh in the beginning, giving out cards when a good talking-to would have sufficed, and then reversed direction and let the boys play, which meant some genuine fouls were ignored. No consistency.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Ricardo Valenzuela :: Metros @ United (Playoff Match 2) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A

I also posted this in the post match thread.

That's from Goff's write-up.

If the official report says "exaggerating a foul" instead of diving, shouldn't that imply that there was a foul? In that case, shouldn't the foul be called (which may or may not have been in the box, I'd have to see it on tape) and then a yellow issued to Dema?

The problem on this play was that the referee appeared to check his Assistant for an offside call, then turned and saw Kovalenko flying through the air. Really, the order should have been reversed because you can always call a play back if there was an offside infraction, but the ref missing the initial foul, or not getting a complete view of it, seriously hurts United as it results in Dema's suspension for the next game.

Again, I don't know if that's just the official terminology or what, I haven't reffed in a few years.

That's probably all too logical both for MLS and BigSoccer, so you all will have to deal with it.

24. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Totally out of fcuking control.

Valenzuela reffed a fairly typical MLS game, which means he was totally and completely out of step with every other ref in the whole fckuing league. This is complete and utter bullsh!t!

Once, just ONCE I would like for consecutive games to be called in a consistent manner.

Were I United, I would file a protest with the League, appeal the suspension of both Nelsen and Kovalenko, and fine the League for malfeasance.

Here's how you do it: When you have the next home game, lock out the refs and the opposing team. Keep them outside of the stadium. Then claim a forfeit win for the match. Come right out and say to the League, "You want to play silly buggers? Let's play silly buggers."

It'd never happen, but it would be fun to watch. Grenada did something similar to us back in 1983 or so--the US was up 4-0 in Giant's stadium, and Jeff Durgan took a dive when a guy waved a hand at him after a foul. The ref bought it and issued a straight red. The coach of Grenada had enough by that point, and pulled his team off the pitch with about 5 or 10 minutes to go. In a FIFA World Cup Qualifier.

I lost all respect for US soccer that day. Took me six years to recover. And I gained a lot of respect for the minnows. Sometimes, a man's got to do what a man's got to do, regardless of the consequences.

Especially when it comes to referees in these here parts.

Bah, whatever. There are those who will tell you that I am completely biased against the referees in this country. I can only answer that it's true. I think that the media whores that we bribe to represent us in Congress have more honesty, integrity and basic knowledge of how to tie their shoes than the idiots we pay to referee soccer in this country. But that's just the way it goes.

The only solution is to kill them all and let God sort the maliciously vindictive from the grotesquely incompetent. And then we can start on the soccer refs ...

25. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa, if they're your boys, please tell Valenzuela that I and many others think he's an effing disgrace to referees. Nine cards?? I hope the evaluator rips him two new ones. Fans pay to watch players, not referee boodoggles. Now we are without our captain, who is very, very difficult to replace on the field. And Pope skates by?

I could have ripped Valenzuela's adam's apple out with my bare hands last night, I was so angry. Thankfully we had a top-notch drum circle and I got over it.

But his style has always been and remains card diarrhea. Just go away, Ricardo, you pathetic excuse for a ref.

GM