Ricardo Pepi thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    agree. Another year in MLS wouldn't hurt a thing

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that just what Halland has done? Why he chose RBS and Dortmund. It's paying off for him and I get your injury downside but if you have a chance to make great money once or good money and become great which do you choose?

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Bad idea. He may experience the sophomore drop off in his performance when MLS defenders got familiar on his moves.
    He should take Aaronson route.

Namdynamo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi is already one of the best forwards in MLS, what can he do in another year in MLS, be one of the best forwards again? What a silly conversation... it would be a dumb move on literally everyone's part from Pepi to FC Dallas. This is how soccer works, you take the big money when it's offered because it might not be there a year from now.

5. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah for a player you have to strike while the iron is hot. Now if the iron was only warm I.e not as attractive destinations then you wait. Sounds like it’s hot.

6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm 38 and I've never taken home more than $30k after taxes in any year. And I've been working since 13 (and full time work since 16). I'm a carpenter now (wish I'd gotten into that 20 years ago instead of 5) and I might be able to take home $80k/yr at some point, but overall my lifetime earnings project to be around $1M. And I'm currently right at the mean income in the US (that is to say, 50th percentile). And that's not after "living expenses". I'd call $10M after all said and done to be rich. Of course, those in the top 5 percent begin getting into off-the-charts territory. And every fraction of a percent over that increases insanely.

My point is, if I can manage to live my whole life on one-tenth what Pepi might make in 5 years of his then he's rich.

But, economics aside, I really hope the dude just chooses the right club so that he can become the best player he thinks he can be. And score boatloads of goals against Mexico, or whomever our opponent may be.

The Clientele, Pegasus, KenC and 7 others repped this.
  8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ola Kamara seen as a top MLS forward?

I think Pepi could get a better in MLS but it doesn't make financial sense to stay unless Dallas pays him at least Zardes money.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Marko72 repped this.
  11. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Sorry to be that guy but interest on $5m is more likely to be negative than ‘substantial’ in today’s rate environment. In real terms (factoring in inflation) it definitely is.

That said, $5m judiciously invested can probably provide a comfortable lifestyle for just about anyone, although some of that money would have to be exposed to risk. It looks like Pepi is supporting his family so $5m provides a foundation but won’t make them rich forever.

12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marko72, SamsArmySam, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50/50 Ball, ChrisSSBB and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Wolfsburg's striker situation? I admit that I don't know too many guys on that team outside of Brooks. From a team perspective, that seems like it wouldn't be a terrible move. It's a team generally playing in Europe and in a good Bundesliga position. If Pepi can get decent playing time, then that's the kind of move that seems good for him.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Weghorst rarely comes off. At 29 they’re probably looking for his replacement, although he’s been in pretty good scoring form over the past year. They have a couple other guys that can play striker or on the wing.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I find it nearly impossible to believe that Bayern Munich will allow Pepi to go to one their Champions League rivals in the Bundesliga. Wolfsburg or otherwise.

FCD and Bayern are partners. If Bayern's interest is real, that's where he'll go.
    [They may purchase and then loan out for a couple of years.]

Would Leipzig have wanted Tyler Adams to go to Dortmund? Of course not. That wouldn't have made sense.

The whole purpose of Bayern's partnership with Dallas is to gain preferred access to players like Ricardo Pepi and Justin Che.

KenC, russ and usnroach repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair the partnership between Dallas and Bayern is not the same as New York and Leipzig. Not that he won’t go to Bayern, but Pepi does have some agency here. He doesn’t have to go to Bayern if he feels like they don’t provide a path to regular playing time anytime soon. I don’t know if Bayern views Wolfsburg as a rival either as this is the first time they’ve been to the Champions League in 5 years or so. Even Leipzig and Dortmund who are sort of rivals are still basically farm teams for Bayern. I don’t think they are that threatened by anyone in Germany.

19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Ajax strikes me as a good destination for him. Attacking league. The training will be top notch. He won't be able to walk into the side but they will give him opportunities.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would favor that too. They create chances.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, it was very well-written, indeed. I hope to read more by this guy Roberto José Andrade Franco. Everybody, if you're not doing anything right now before the game, invest about 5-10 minutes and read this piece, it's an excellent example of sports journalism (and if you're not already a little invested in the success of Ricardo Pepi, you certainly will be).

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, he's pretty good.

Pl@ymaker, russ and Magikfute repped this.
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I just hope is next move is the RIGHT one.

Pl@ymaker and Chesco United repped this.
  24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    You have to start wondering if there is a wrong one. ;)

He’s really proving to be as elite as guys like Musah in this US squad.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh, there are a lot of moves that could stall a kid's progression. But a lot of that is not merely club situation but also a kid's ability to stay focused, do the work, not get discouraged, and succeed. I think this kid's got all of that, and that he's built to win a dogfight for a place on a top side.