Ricardo Pepi thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Sep 9, 2021.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    A major amount of soccer performance is simply beating the opponent in what both of you know is happening in any given play. Pepi is already very good at that as a kid.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I agree with you. So you’ve got that going for you.

RossD repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of think it depends on the situation and the position. The MLS is a far better league than it was just a few years ago IMO... so unless you are going to one of the top 5 leagues I don't think the jump is as big as it used to be. Also... it often takes a while to develop as a legit striker... I don't want Pepi going to a Euro super club and getting stuck on the bench... I also don't want him going to an inferior team struggling w/ relegation. So yeah... there are a lot of variables.... Sticking with Dallas for another year isn't really a bad situation. Heck... if they get a good coach and reach their potential he could push for their season goal record.

RefIADad and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Very well played!!!!!

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I c wat u did ther

russ repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    sounds pretty good. Pepi's 18 now (19 in January). One more year in MLS would put him at about the same timeline as most of those you mentioned, who were starting, often after moving up a level, at 20ish years of age.

I don't really see the worry about him staying 1 more year in MLS. I would be incredibly surprised if Pepi did stay in MLS another year, so I don't think we will be able to argue over whether he would have been better or not if he had taken the offer at [club name here].

not saying you are saying his career would be irreparably damaged, but I get the feeling that many do.

I

twoolley repped this.
  7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah no I actually really agree with original poster and you that his career might be served best by one more year in MLS if the alternative is ride the bench somewhere. However there is something to be said for striking while the iron is hot!

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You used a terrible example in Dike. It actually tends to show the opposite point from that which you are trying to make. Nearly all of the hype from fans about Dike becoming the guy to take over the 9 position for the US came when he started scoring goals for Barnsley in the English championship in 2021 -- not when he was scoring for Orlando in 2020. Before going to England, he was just another young guy to whom Berhalter should give a shot (he was called up at the end of the MLS season, but got hurt and did not play). And yes, you are right -- the view on Pepi will come back to reality, because he is not going to get a goal and 2 assists in every game. But the bottom line is we don't have anyone reliably scoring up top right now. It is what it is.

superdave, RossD, Mahtzo1 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I'm actually somewhat neutral on this, I think the right deal in Europe would be much better than FCD, but it depends 100% on where he would land. Ajax, Dortmund and several others would be great in my opinion. If he goes to Bayern, I believe he would find himself in a loan to a B1 team, but even that wouldn't necessarily be the kiss of death if he gets the right loan deal (Bayern would likely be loaning him for experience rather than income)...still an added layer of risk at Bayern.

The other risk is how he will adjust to being on his own away from his family. I think he will be fine but it sounds like they are very close, and you never know. One more year could help there, or not.

I think there is still room to grow in MLS, I'm not one that believes he is "too good for MLS" yet, but given that the offer will likely be too good to turn down (for both Pepi and FCD), he just has to be sure he gets the right situation.

twoolley repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its pretty clear that FCD would like to retain Pepi. Zanotta and Hunt have talked about it. They just signed him to a long term deal thru 2025.

........................but money talks. So it all depends on what kinds of offers they receive. From everything we've heard, FCD hasn't actually received any offers yet. Its just a whole lot of chatter about clubs being VERY interested (German, Italian, Ajax, etc.) We're guessing its genuine and not just press/internet chatter, but who knows?

There's no reason to think FCD will hold on to Pepi if clubs meet their valuation of the player. See....................Tessmann, Reynolds, Cannon. They had all three on long-term deals when they sold them recently. Chris Richards too, actually.

I do think Hunt is getting a little frustrated, though. His dream has always been to field an all-Homegrown American roster. He can't do it because the club keeps selling the players. Remember when he said that he didn't want a reserve team because it just put his young American players in the "shop window" to be poached? That's sorta the position the club is in. How do they continue being a moving sidewalk to Europe, while also trying to field a homegrown roster that can also compete in MLS. People criticize FCD for their foreign player signings. If Hunt had his way, we wouldn't be making foreign player signings. He'd have retained Tessmann, Richards, Cannon, Reynolds, Sealy, etc. etc. Now he's got two young Americans that already have USMNT callups, and they're likely gone soon too (Che and Pepi).

By the way, FCD started 5 homegrowns last weekend (Pepi, Ferreira, Pomykal, Servania, Cerrillo). Out of curiousity, what do people think is the record for most homegrown academy players started in a game? Who they think holds that record?

RossD and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mean the Athletic does have a paywall but honestly their content is pretty great, both soccer related and when it comes to other sports.

YNWA Rob, gogorath and Ironbound repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And if you look around for a generally easily findable discount, you can get a sub for like $2-3/month.

YNWA Rob and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. robstonewall

robstonewall Member

United States
    Mar 11, 2021

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lots of Pepi talk today in the social media universe:

Pepi clearly interested in Ajax:

Sampdoria now amongst the clubs interested:

Namdynamo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We also need to keep in mind the financial aspect of being a profesional athlete. We'd love for Pepi to have a productive 15 year career but the odds are that won't happen. Playing careers are short and many times the financial side and development side clash. How many players (worldwide) have turned down lucrative offers from mega clubs to sign with a smaller club to get more playing time and develop so they can later sign an even larger contract only to see the 2nd part never happen? We know players are always just 1 game away from a serious injury.

SamsArmySam repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Yes but signing with a huge club now may pin him to the bench during formative years. He has to go to a place where he will play a lot.

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see him at Ajax for the obvious developmental advantages. They are a big club in their own right, and American forwards have a history of some success in that league.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think the odds of getting a career ending injury are slim for a teenager, at least enough so where it is worth the risk to avoid the bench and a larger paycheck. Getting playing time for less $$$ (still a decent amount of money by the way) will only increase is value for that big contract in his early to mid 20's.

I just think the risk isn't there for a player in his situation, and development should be the priority..

He really doesn't need a 15 year career. Guys get rich with a career 1/3 of that when in the right contracts.

tomásbernal repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Forwards in general tend to come out of that league with guns a-blazin', ready to make an immediate impact somewhere big.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. A "biggish" club in a secondary league like Ajax may fit the bill perfectly.

Pepi has a perfect exhibit A of going to a big league and not playing. His former teammate Bryan Reynolds..........................

But as we know. Money talks.

24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Off topic, but seems like a stretch to get rich in just 5 years...

Let's say he progresses well ends up at a mid table Premier League club on USD 5 million / year wages. Taxes eat 45% and agent fees another 7%. So he brings home $12 million net of taxes/fees over those five years, and his career is done by an unfortunate injury when he's, say, 27. If he lived a relatively modest life for a pro athlete, he might bank $10 million after living expenses from those 5 years.

So he's got another 40 years to go until a traditional retirement age. If Pepi's a thoughtful guy, he sets aside half of that to fund his retirement. So he's now got $5 million left as a 27 year old to fund his next 40 years, which is $125k a year. Now $125k a year for doing nothing in pre-retirement is a pretty sweet gig -- and he can certainly supplement that with a second career like commentating, coaching, or running soccer camps -- but it strikes me that he's still a few notches below "rich" in this situation after 5 years of playing at a very high level.

The point being... We read the transfer headline numbers and assume these guys are all buying yachts and living it up, but the careers of most of the pro athletes we follow are nasty, brutish, and short. (And here's to hoping he beats the odds.)

Bajoro repped this.
  25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    You're forgetting that the interest on $5 million is quite substantial even with nothing but boring safe investment. $5 million should easily set someone up comfortably for life. He'd bring in 6 figures without even touching the balance.

Anyway, I'd honestly like to see him hang around MLS and bang in goals and head to the World Cup filled with confidence and accustomed to being a key play on his team. The, go to Europe, still in his teens and rise up the ranks before 2026. I'd rather not see him sitting in the Bayern reserves for a year leading to the Cup. That said, I understand the lure of big money and sometimes you take the opportunity when it comes as you don't know when or if it comes again. I just feel like he's the biggest striker prospect the US has had in quite some time if not ever and I don't expect the opportunities to dry up any time soon baring injuries.

Bruce S repped this.