Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told by the Dutch expert here he wasn't even sent down for game fitness, which could have happened by playing him a significant amount in the game the prior day that actually counted.

Because Peter Bosz was there, he wanted to see how well Rico could juggle against low-level pros, or whatever he was supposed to show to gain his trust more, to be able to use him some in the league he already succeeded in last year, and at a level above this season.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Seen a man standin’ over a dead dog lyin’ by the highway in a ditch
    He’s lookin’ down kinda puzzled pokin’ that dog with a stick
    Got his car door flung open he’s standin’ out on highway 31
    Like if he stood there long enough that dog’d get up and run
    Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
    Still at the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  3. Oh dear oh dear.
    So the top clubs from Italy and Spain, I posted a copy of remarks from Barcelona president about it last year iirc, sending their scouts to watch players in that low-level league are idiots, like PB was wasting his time, and the clubs that picked up from that low level league with low level pro players, Wieffer now playing for Feyenoord, Schouten now playing and starring for PSV and Dallinga, playing for Toulouse, two years ago and within a year Orange Squad players are fecking morons. They should pay attention to what some in here have to say about how wrong they are.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    One of only 6 outfield players on the PSV bench today.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Looks like Pepi may come in soon...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Well... that was quick.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace, bct81, Namdynamo and 16 others repped this.
  8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he still need to leave?

9. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Has to have one of the best goals per 90 in Europe?

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  10. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    No. But he may need to improve his collection of imaginary watches... :p

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's funny - when I looked at the lineup at first I thought he didn't make the bench. Thankfully all is right in the Universe.

12. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A la Clint Mathis? I see what you did there!

Roblar repped this.
  13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll probably stay on the bench next game.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, if 'veen had to give up a goal, I guess it can be Pepi...

Folks can rest assured Pepi is getting plenty of notice. After last season at a crap club, now coming in and banging sub goals against Sevilla and league comp. He and Tillman (and Dest, but he was already a bit ahead of their curve) are improving their status with this season. Sure, it'd be better if he were starting and leading the league in scoring, but he's doing what he has to do with his minutes. Good for Ricardo.

EricSunRa, mattjens and Dervos repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won’t even enter his prime until after the 2026 WC.

LouisianaViking07/09, Magikfute and russ repped this.
  16. According to a newspaper the money for a victory is 2.8 million.
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal/live-eredivisie-psv-heerenveen~afc7b8d9/
    PSV is al geplaatst voor de volgende ronde in dat toernooi, maar kan nog wel een bedrag van 2,8 miljoen euro verdienen en Europese punten opstrijken voor de club en de eredivisie.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    @feyenoordsoccerfan It’s a crazy system then, but $3 million (or so) is pocket change for Arsenal, anyway.

Is the payout new? I ask because many (many!) times I have seen a team that had already clinched {CL Group} advancement play perhaps the back-up GK and a lesser lineup, though generally (e.g., at Man City, Bayern - the big teams capable of clinching the group after 4-5 games) the backups are pretty good players, and of course all the players on the field play hard and play to win.

Won’t PSV’s group advancement (in second place, which a win/draw/loss v Arsenal won’t change) be what matters most, in prize money and coefficient points?

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Sees post with video of goal attached, hopes he doesn't see Pepi make a gesture at his "watch" during celebration. Sighs relief.

Roblar repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Continues reading thread and sees this post. Wonders if Pepi did, in fact, look at his "watch". Sigh of relief withdrawn.

20. For Arsenal it might be pocket money, I guess. It's not new, only the amount has changed upwards. For epl teams that still are fighting for a spot that gives them a CL spot, it's more important to win the next epl match than it is to win a CL match, when they clinched the spot in the ko phase. So these clubs tend to send in the back ups, but only in those circumstances.
    Well, PSV now has the spot secured to advance, which also means they got the coefficient bonus for advancing. As I explained the coefficient points for a win are extremely important. It sucked for us that PSG got a questionable penalty gifted against Newcastle United, because it's the difference between us just staying ahead or falling behind France. This penalty also gives PSG the chance to either progress in the CL or get into the Europa League, meaning they get bonus points that will hurt us.
    I hope in the PSV group Lens is going to drop to 4th place, as then they willnot add bonus points to France.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    If you set a minimum threshold for appearances, minutes, and league quality, he's tops in Europe at the moment.

22. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    love to see it

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he’s obviously in a terrible situation.