Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

Nice finish. Peep the veteran "dark arts" push by Pepi right around 7 seconds in that clip. That's the kind of thing you pick up when you're competing every day with an seasoned vet like de Jong.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phenomenal.

Nice update to see in the middle of a work day.

3. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Also note the 28th second, where all the Americans are hugging each other. What a game, what a goal.

Namdynamo, adi21, Mt Stone@ and 11 others repped this.
  4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Very happy for Ricardo. Biggest club goal of his career so far. Game winner in stoppage time in a CL game that puts your club in a good position to reach the Round of 16. Awesome stuff.

5. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I felt some "Footb-awwwww" when I saw that. Dest looked so stoked for him.

Winoman, RunthePoint and Dervos repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really is an intelligent run there.

And the finish is incredibly composed. Obviously. So well placed across the GK. A lot of strikers would have F'd that up. Never mind stoppage time UCL with knockout rounds on the line.

7. harttbeat

harttbeat Member+

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Great holdup play and flick . What a nice sequence. Hopefully he earned a league game start this week.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He should start getting more minutes over De Jong. Pepi would do no worse than Luke imo especially in the league.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Just saw this. Beautiful moment.

Watching Tillman next to Pepi, Tillman looks like a big dude.

10. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Taller than Mckennie???

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flick went unnoticed by the commentator. It was too slick & fast. This set up the break.

Then it's not about beating the defender in behind always. Just find the space at the right time to present yourself as an option. The finish was cool as you'd like. Had to time & contort his head.

Wonderful moment & hopefully a catalyst for his career. It's definitely a springboard for PSV's chances. They only need a draw & would be moderate faves to advance w/ a loss even.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wes is smol, at least vertically. He's like 5'9. They measured him to the top of his fro.

Tillman's listed 6'2. He'd be an average-sized CF. From image searches, he and Pepi are around the same height, when they're standing straight up. Here, Pepi's getting his head held down.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Others in the match thread reminded me that h2h is the first tie-breaker, and PSV has the advantage vs Lens. Assuming Arsenal don't squander their lead (currently up 5-0 in the 70'), PSV will be in the last 16 today!

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone probably told me before, but I forgot. Combo of spotty memory, having to follow a plethora of leagues, while they change rules.

This would be an amazing feat to already advance. I remember the doom and gloom, simply because they got handled in their debut at Arsenal. Imagine that.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Luuk leads the league in goals plus assists. He's doing OK.

16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi is, unfortunately, performing exactly as the couch would want: super-sup off the bench who can spell LdJ when needed. Zero chance he wins out over a healthy LdJ this season -- only if the other guy's form goes off a cliff for a few games, but even then I'm not sure.

17. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I was among the doomers! Honestly, pretty amazing they pulled it out of the bag, I thought it would be Sevilla and Arsenal through to the last 16.

Hopefully Sevilla is able to turn it on next match, or else they might not get a shot at their 6th Europa league win in 10 years...

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, as long as LdJ is healthy and in the top 5 or 6 for G and/or A (and PSV is winning) he gets as many minutes as he wants - or pretty close to it. LdJ is as much in charge of his PT right now as Bosz. If PSV drop a few game or dJong goes cold, maybe something changes, but no coach in his right mind forces his captain/striker to sit if the guy don't want to.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ouch! Supper time!

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Biggest goal by a YA so far this season. Good for Pepi, he could use the boost.

21. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, two bench warmers produced the winning goal...that puts you through to the round of 16. He should at least be awarded the start in a partly meaningless game against the Gunners next time around. You have to rest the old man sometime.

Namdynamo and Anderson11 repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only if the old man wants to rest - or stops scoring/assisting.

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    33 for a 9 used to be not that old.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not a starter but he should still be getting more playing time.

25. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it even considered old nowadays? I'm still wondering why everyone thinks De Jong is so old when guys like Giroud keep going and going.

Good on Pepi, what an awesome game for him. It's great he's getting some reward for paying his dues this season.

dark knight repped this.